Help me decide how much spotter.

Help me decide how much spotter to get. Up to this point almost all of my glassing has been done through 8x42 binos or a rifle scope. I added a tripod for the binos last year and love the difference in stability and arm fatigue. But I want more magnification, how much do I need.

I live in California, I’ve always hunted brushy B zone areas. Life schedule has me needing to cut the drive time now that I’m living in the Bay Area. I know even a small spotter will give me more than I have now but, with a buy once cry once mentality I’ve been looking for the biggest highest quality objective lens that I can afford.

Use: I’ve got a buddy in Alaska and family in New Zealand, I’ll hunt both eventually and at the very least visit them with my wife and son in the next few years. Hunting, I’m going to try to do day hunts as close to home as possible which in my head look like hike in and be sitting behind glass before the sun... so some picking brush fields apart, hopefully I can find something a little closer to home that’s less brushy.

Price point and what I can find online has me looking at the Kowa TSN-82sv. Will I hate a 3lb spotter?

Should I be looking elsewhere in the sub $1K price range? Thanks in advance

I love the Ares that I have. I wrote a review on it.

If you find a Kowa that you like, I’m sure it would be good. I hear only positive review of Kowas.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
I love the Ares that I have. I wrote a review on it.

If you find a Kowa that you like, I’m sure it would be good. I hear only positive review of Kowas.
Well then.... hikker have you looked through the Ares 85mm?
Doug your thoughts also would the 85 not be worth the 1.5#~

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The bigger one is brighter and cleared at higher power, however, if it's too big to carry what good is it? Most guys leave full size spotters behind but will take a 65mm

Jardo

WKR
I went with the kowa 883 and I’m very happy with it. It’s heavy and sometimes you’ll curse the weight, but when you are looking for a shooter at 1500 yards, you’ll be glad you went with the big spotter.

I’ll probably end up buying a midsize scope someday... but for now, I’ll take the better glass and just deal with the extra weight.

Kowa is the best and the 883 is the best of the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Blacktail_Packer
I went with the kowa 883 and I’m very happy with it. It’s heavy and sometimes you’ll curse the weight, but when you are looking for a shooter at 1500 yards, you’ll be glad you went with the big spotter.

I’ll probably end up buying a midsize scope someday... but for now, I’ll take the better glass and just deal with the extra weight.

Kowa is the best and the 883 is the best of the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I gotta imagine I’ll be buying a big scope eventually but, I figured Doug’s probably correct that a big scope would find itself in the truck a lot more than one I can forget I’m packing... and that’s another couple hundred bucks I can put towards other gear in the meantime

OXN939

WKR
I gotta imagine I’ll be buying a big scope eventually but, I figured Doug’s probably correct that a big scope would find itself in the truck a lot more than one I can forget I’m packing... and that’s another couple hundred bucks I can put towards other gear in the meantime

Here to throw a wrench in things. Just picked up a Bushnell Prime 16-48x50. I am super extra impressed so far. Basically got it because my larger Leupold spotter I had, while delivering excellent optical quality, was so large and cumbersome it took up most of my pack. This is the size comparison of the Bushnell to a Nalgene.

20191202_220358.jpg

Optical quality is excellent. Had it out tonight checking out a treeline about 1000 yards away after sunset, and was really impressed by the light transmission. The tripod that comes with it sucks, as one might expect from a $300 spotter package, but the glass itself is great. Will try to get some pics through the scope up on here later.

Snogdiper

FNG
Great! I hope it works perfectly for you! Please submit a review for the rest of us who lay in the shadow of envy of your decision!

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Great! I hope it works perfectly for you! Please submit a review for the rest of us who lay in the shadow of envy of your decision!
The boss was happy enough with the price that I got the ok on the Hookupz 2.0 also so I plan to put up some pics relatively quick after I get it. Unfortunately I’m super in town now so less scenery options but, I think the foothills should give me something to look at...