Help me mount a VX3i 2-8x36 on LA Model 70

I have a Model 70 featherweight long/standard action. I am tryIng to get my new VX3i 2-8x36 to mount properly. What I have discovered is that is combo is not an easy mount.

The issue is the scope only has 5.1 inches of mounting space. This makes it necessary to move the front ring as far back as possible to make it fit between the rings and get the scope far enough back for proper eye relief. You pretty much have to use some sort of extension base up front.

I have kind of narrowed it down to three options. Please help me choose.

Talley lightweight with front extension. I am concerned when the front base is reversed the scope bell will hit the extended base. So if anyone has tried this combo it would be great to know if it will clear. Also curious if the extra lows can be used and still have good bolt clearance.

I looked at running S&K with the front extension or the Leupold RVF dual dovetail. The thing that made me nervous about these options is the underside of of the base (dovetail or screws) are exposed to the elements as they hang over the action. There is just enough room for moisture and dirt to get in but probably no way to get it out. Not sure if I should worry about it...but is seems like a recipe for rust pocket.

Last option would be running Warne Maximas or Talley Steel. The Warne front base normally overhangs the action and the Talley makes a front base extension that overhangs the action. The downside is weight. Anyone know which of these two (Warne or Talley) are lighter?

If anyone has experience with mounting this scope on a long action or any of these combinations please help.

I am this close to sending it back and buying the 3.5-10x40. It only weighs one ounce more and gives another inch of mounting space!!!

Cal

Graves14

WKR
You could mount a picattiny rail on the action and then place scope rings wherever you’d like.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
You could mount a picattiny rail on the action and then place scope rings wherever you’d like.
+1
AA.jpg

I had that exact dilemma 25 years ago with a pre-64 featherweight.

Go with your Plan B and trade out your scope. If I remember correctly I used Tally low on it.

OP
C
Thanks for the replies.

The pic rail makes a lot of sense from a practical/functional standpoint. However, I am not sure it would really fit in on a wood stocked featherweight. I know kinda weird but I am trying to keep it traditional.

One of the main reason for using the smaller more compact scope was to keep the weight down. Does not really save anything on weight if I have to run steel extension bases. So I would like to go with the extended Talley lightweights if they will work.

I would love to make this scope work...but plan B is starting to sound good.

C

OP
C
Thought I would give an update...so that others can avoid a pitfall.

I decided to try the hardware that Leupold’s “find a mount” function on their web page said would work. I initially consulted the app prior to purchasing the scope but wanted to save weight and had concerns about the Leupold mounting set up as stated in my initial post. After much deliberation I decided that I really wanted to run the scope. So I purchased the Leupold DD bases with reversible front base and low rings as prescribed by the web site. I figured that surely Leupold would have accurate info on their web page regarding which hardware would work with this scope and my rifle.

WRONG!!!

The scope will mount between the rings. However, the scope bell contacts the front ring base before the scope can be moved back far enough for proper eye relief. I am a pretty big guy at 6’2” but you would have to be an NBA center to make it work.

More than a little disappointed in Leupold’s web site. Now I own a scope, rings and bases that will not fit my rifle properly. The icing on the cake is that the scope is past the return period allowed by the website that sold it to me.

Should have listened to Tree ‘me. Rockslide classifieds here I come!!!

C

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe look at the meopta meopro, the tube is a bit longer so much easier to mount, I have no troubles with mine on a Winchester 30-06.

adamsguy

FNG
I have a model 70 with a vxi 2-7x33 and got the Talley lightweights to work. Mine is lefty so not sure if that would matter. I have the front mounted with the ext base to front and the rear mounted with the ext base facing rear to narrow them up enough. I had the same problem using leupold old style quick release mounts so I now also own a vxii 3-9 on the other model 70. The Talley folks were helpful

adamsguy

FNG
Forgot, To mention I have Talley low and barely clear my bolt throw so don think the extra low would have worked on my set up

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ll trade you for a brand new vx3i 3.5-10 that is longer than the 2.5-8 if you’re interested.