help me pick a kifaru pack

I'm in the market for another new pack. I used a kuiu icon 7200 this year, I liked it but thought it should have done better for what I paid for it. Previously I used eberlestock so it was a huge improvement, but nonetheless, I want to be happy and I'm not quite there yet. I'm primarily a rifle hunter and don't like to bone out my meat. I didn't like how goofy thr kuiu packed my rifle in their butt bucket setup.

I'm not a backpack back country overnight hunter yet, but I'd like to eventually so i don't need a giant bag. I'm not opposed to boning out the front shoulders but I definitely don't like doing it with the hams. I really liked the pocket and bag layout of the kuiu so I'd like something similar to that configuration if possible

What I normally carry for my days hunts consists of this
Headlamp
Couple spare shells
Sitting pad
Outdoorsman medium tripod
Atlas bipod
3L water bladder
Rain gear when needed, which is most of the time
Range finder
Lunch/snacks
Game bags
Knife

I'd like a pack that will carry all this comfortably while still being able to carry deer quarters and or an elk quarter. Also keep in mind it needs to carry a rifle easily and not have my pack lop sided, as the gun weighs 12lbs.

So, my question is, for those of you who are much more familiar than I with kifaru products, what would you suggest?

striker3

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the nomad. The base nomad will easily carry all that you listed. You can add a camp bag or extra pouches as your needs grow. Or you can go all out and get the EMR2, which is not modular, but compresses really well, yet the main bag is big enough to hold a quarter. Another option is to get just a frame, cargo panel and a few pockets. Wait until later to get a full size pack.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you are the guy they had in mind when they designed the Tahr. Simple, lightweight for day hunts but expands as needed when an animal hits the ground. You can pick up a external pockets for your spotter/bipod/tripod/etc.

Xtreme007

WKR
I would suggest a duplex frame with cargo panel. Then add a guide lid and what pockets you want. This combo has a ton of options with where you want packets and what pockets you want.
My set up is
UL frame
Cargo panel
Guide lid
Med side pocket and med belt pocket on back
Small belt on hip
Plus you can add a dry bag or camp bag for longer trips. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

gelton

WKR
I would take a long hard look at the Markhor or Mountain Rambler with the slight edge going to the markhor for modularity. I would get the Markhor, a spotting scope pocket, 2 medium belt pouches and a guide lid. That should cover you from day hunts to 5-7 day hunts.

I really like my new Mountain Rambler. Buy your self the new duplex. Once you have that foundation, your options are endless. You can even get the new dulpex and the new HPG pack that replaced the Highlander. Going to be a great day pack.

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
I know you asked about Kifaru but the exo 3500 sounds like exactly what you want. Main reason is the frame has its on compression straps which works great on quarters and the bag has horizontal straps across the back which make strapping a rifle/bow very easy.

So I think the real question depends on how you want to deal with expanding to a multi-trip bag in the future. I don't back country hunt either, but do go on long backpack fishing trips in the summer which I would completely fill my 7200 and even run out of room.

When I got my first Kifaru it was a DT1 and it really didn't fit my needs. It was very similar to the 7200, but slightly smaller; if you are looking for something that is almost a direct equivalent it would be a DT1 with a guide lid. But in order to get the volume I wanted I picked up an EMR2, but an AMR would probably also work and may try it out in the future. It can compress into a daypack size, however I decided that I would rather have a dedicated daypack for the style of hunting I do right now (similar gear to you, private land, not more than a mile from the truck). I was almost sure that I wanted a Rambler, but at the last minute changed my mind to the 22 Mag after seeing it on a 26" frame while at 1shotgear. It is the perfect day hunting pack and with a grab-it you could easily squeeze a quarter between the bag and the frame. You could probably do it without a grab-it but I would be afraid of some of the stress it would put on some attachment points. I certainly wouldn't get the 22" frame if you plan to go this route and just get the 24 or 26 depending on your height.

If you would rather not go that way want to have one bag to work for both types of hunting than I would go with the Nomad for sure. It will give you a simple day hunting setup without the extra fabric of an EMR2. The Argali makes another good option for this style as it can be rolled up, but the Argali, Markhor and Tahr will all need about $100 in order to make them more usable. The Tahr would also make a good daypack, but again you'd probably need at least one side pocket to make it work for you.

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
One piece of advice I will offer is get a bag that is bigger then whAt you think you need. Especially since you want to get into doing over night trips. I have the DT1 and love it. It compresses well and I think you might like the spotter pockets to handle your glassing pad and tripod. But I think the biggest benefit for you will be the ability to compress down for day hunting or expand for 7+ days. That being said, my hunting partner ran the AMR this year and it looks like a great option. However, I like having the attached spotter pockets, which the AMR doesn't offer. Plus both of these bags are more then big enough to handle a bone in rear quarter.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the market for another new pack. I used a kuiu icon 7200 this year, I liked it but thought it should have done better for what I paid for it. Previously I used eberlestock so it was a huge improvement, but nonetheless, I want to be happy and I'm not quite there yet. I'm primarily a rifle hunter and don't like to bone out my meat. I didn't like how goofy thr kuiu packed my rifle in their butt bucket setup.

I'm not a backpack back country overnight hunter yet, but I'd like to eventually so i don't need a giant bag. I'm not opposed to boning out the front shoulders but I definitely don't like doing it with the hams. I really liked the pocket and bag layout of the kuiu so I'd like something similar to that configuration if possible

What I normally carry for my days hunts consists of this
Headlamp
Couple spare shells
Sitting pad
Outdoorsman medium tripod
Atlas bipod
3L water bladder
Rain gear when needed, which is most of the time
Range finder
Lunch/snacks
Game bags
Knife

I'd like a pack that will carry all this comfortably while still being able to carry deer quarters and or an elk quarter. Also keep in mind it needs to carry a rifle easily and not have my pack lop sided, as the gun weighs 12lbs.

So, my question is, for those of you who are much more familiar than I with kifaru products, what would you suggest?

The pack designed for what you're describing, is the Mountain Rambler.