Help with a little pack-pain... please...

Purchased a brand new Exo K4 a few weeks back, and have been doing some walking around the neighborhood with it with a 40-lb weight to try it out. I've read all of the fitting articles and watched all of the videos, and even sent pics in to Exo and they've confirmed I have everything adjusted properly.

The frame is so comfortable - love how it moves with you - I can bend over and pick things up, etc, and it just feels great. The one issue I can't seem to solve is where the should straps end (at the bottom) and convert to the nylon strap.

Right where those straps end, around the lower rib cage, it's just kind of a pressure point that tends to bother me a little bit. It's not drastic, but I'm looking for how I might increase the comfort.

Even the guys at Exo said they knew what I was talking about, and gave me some suggestions on trying different setups, which I'm still doing. Looking at other packs on the market, this seems like most shoulder straps would do the same thing (including on my older pack).

So this is nothing unique to the Exo pack I don't think... and I love the frame, bag, accessories, etc. So just looking for any advice to try and gain more comfort right there, or if others have the same issues with their packs (of any brand). Or, if the answer is just, "man up", I'm fine hearing that too.

Thanks!

BBob

WKR
I think it’s something sort of normal and you get used to it. Never would have thought about it except you asked and it made me think and ask myself if I feel anything like that. Yes I guess I do notice it now and then and probably always have but learned to ignore it or deal with it.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hi WasatchShooter. I don’t have an EXO pack, but have had similar issues with some of the packs I have used. A trick that might work (I’ve had it work on some and not on others) is to take the webbing out of the ladder lock buckle at the bottom of the strap where you are feeling the pressure and give it a half twist outward and then rethread it back into the ladder lock. It might put just a bit of pressure outward away from your ribs to help with the discomfort. I hope this makes sense. Thanks. -Rufus

TaperPin

WKR
Also watch how tight you adjust the sternum strap since that somewhat changes the angle of the lower shoulder strap.

Without seeing how the pack is setup it’s hard to know if it looks funny for some reason, but many other packs have different size shoulder straps as well as hip belts because people are shaped differently. I’m wondering if your shoulder straps, the padded part, is too long. Maybe readjust where they attach to the frame. It seems strange they don’t offer shorter shoulder straps - maybe that will be an option you can purchase one day.

After the straps are broke in and your body is used to the pressure points, if it still bothers you, consider contacting them for a modification to your straps and if they won’t do it, any good place that repairs packs can do it. If you know what change you want, upholstery shops can also do it.

Definitely wait until it’s all broken in, whichever way you go.

OP
W
Hi WasatchShooter. I don’t have an EXO pack, but have had similar issues with some of the packs I have used. A trick that might work (I’ve had it work on some and not on others) is to take the webbing out of the ladder lock buckle at the bottom of the strap where you are feeling the pressure and give it a half twist outward and then rethread it back into the ladder lock. It might put just a bit of pressure outward away from your ribs to help with the discomfort. I hope this makes sense. Thanks. -Rufus
Great suggestion - I'll try that on my next time out, thank you!

OP
W
Also watch how tight you adjust the sternum strap since that somewhat changes the angle of the lower shoulder strap.

Without seeing how the pack is setup it’s hard to know if it looks funny for some reason, but many other packs have different size shoulder straps as well as hip belts because people are shaped differently. I’m wondering if your shoulder straps, the padded part, is too long. Maybe readjust where they attach to the frame. It seems strange they don’t offer shorter shoulder straps - maybe that will be an option you can purchase one day.

After the straps are broke in and your body is used to the pressure points, if it still bothers you, consider contacting them for a modification to your straps and if they won’t do it, any good place that repairs packs can do it. If you know what change you want, upholstery shops can also do it.

Definitely wait until it’s all broken in, whichever way you go.
Thank you - I appreciate that advice. Love everything about the K4 system so yes I want to stick with it - this is just a minor thing I'm trying to tweak. Great tips for me to try, thank you!

sr80

WKR
I had this as well when i got my K4, it wasn't pain though, I could just feel when the straps ended, like you are experiencing. But in the end I didn't do anything, and it just went away with use. A couple hikes later and i didn't notice it at all. I think your body just needs to get used to it. I hadn't felt this before with any other packs i have owned. I have heard from some other guys i know that experienced it as well and has gone away with use.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
I've noticed it on a MR pack that I bought, never have on my K4.

I was thinking I had the height adjusted wrong on the MR. It would actually leave blisters.

Have you tried adjusting your harness down a notch?

I had this as well when i got my K4, it wasn't pain though, I could just feel when the straps ended, like you are experiencing. But in the end I didn't do anything, and it just went away with use. A couple hikes later and i didn't notice it at all. I think your body just needs to get used to it. I hadn't felt this before with any other packs i have owned. I have heard from some other guys i know that experienced it as well and has gone away with use.
I think I did as well, but it was short lived and not painful, just something I noticed early on paying attention to overall fit and comfort

I remember something being noticeable in that part of the pack but it wasn’t something I needed to fix, but assume with a different body shape or how you wear your pack, that could vary