Help me pick a pack

A couple of things. One, I don't know how much experience any given person has when I read their comments. Two, I've synthesized my opinions on these packs entirely from product information, product videos, and quite a bit of reading on forums online where users of the packs comment on what did and didn't work. Once again, I don't know how much experience each given person has. Further, two people who each have experience on the subject matter will often disagree due to personal taste. See this thread, for instance, where some people say something like "ULTRA pack on the Icon Pro is a bad idea" and then another guy who clearly has tried a number of packs says something like "I actually like the ULTRA pack on the Icon Pro". As I said above, I asked in the first place so that I might learn of other options or get help narrowing down from what I've found. So far it looks like I've found most of the sub-4 lbs packs. The number of people chiming in that SG and SO are good is reassuring if nothing else. Quite a few people also argue for Kifaru, and I could potentially do that if I made a frankenpack starting with their suspension.

I'll also tell you an anecdote. I went online years ago and researched the hell out of climbing gear. I showed up at Yosemite with zero experience and a bunch of shiny gear. A gray haired guy a little less than double my age said he'd climb with me to show me the ropes. Once I unloaded my pack he was instantly impressed with my gear selection. I had successfully selected a great assortment of gear (in a 2 lb pack by the way, which is still doing great) which he was envious of. Not because he was out of touch (his gear selection was similar to mine but only a generation older), but because I just had the latest and greatest, and it was overall well thought out. I'm not saying I'll get it perfect on the first try, but my experience is that synthesizing the opinions of others via forums and researching via other methods online can lead to decent buying decisions. Usually better than just showing up in a retail store and asking the clerk who may or may not have a clue what to buy from their limited selection, anyway.

I will admit that saying I won't buy a pack over 4 lbs may be a bit extreme (e.g. if a much better pack existed and weighed 4 lbs 8 ounces, it'd probably be worth it), but it'll be hard to convince me to go for a heavier pack when there are well regarded options at or below 4 lbs.

I don't need the pack ASAP, so I'll read up for a bit and wait and see if any 2016 lineups are announced which include new packs. In the meantime I might even research self-made packs a little bit more. I think it would be cool to tailor a pack perfectly to my needs and size. Imagine a self-made carbon fiber frame molded exactly to the user's back... Now imagine it snapping in half in the field. OK, maybe I won't get too crazy. :p

Based on this thread alone, it certainly appears that you are content to discount the opinions of those who challenge your predetermined opinions. To each his own. I choose to listen and learn. In my experience in helping novices in other fields that I have expertise in, I prefer to work with someone who is eager to learn rather than a know it all. They are also the folks that I am more excited about helping on an ongoing basis. Therefore, when I'm the novice, I choose to eagerly listen and learn. Just like packs, everyone has an opinion. I'm just telling you what works for me.

Once again, best of luck in your search. I hope you find the perfect pack for you.

Based on this thread alone, it certainly appears that you are content to discount the opinions of those who challenge your predetermined opinions. To each his own. I choose to listen and learn. In my experience in helping novices in other fields that I have expertise in, I prefer to work with someone who is eager to learn rather than a know it all. They are also the folks that I am more excited about helping on an ongoing basis. Therefore, when I'm the novice, I choose to eagerly listen and learn. Just like packs, everyone has an opinion. I'm just telling you what works for me.

Once again, best of luck in your search. I hope you find the perfect pack for you.

Ugh dammit, I had a beautiful post written with a bunch of five dollar words, and then I hit the wrong button and lost it. So now here's the short version.

Yes I'm a novice and I'm actually eager to learn everything I can about how to hunt, be safe in the wilderness, and things like that. However it's impossible for me to "learn" from everyone regarding pack selection. If I did, what would I do? If everyone advises me to use a different pack, the only way to "learn" from them and take their advice would be to buy one of every pack they recommend. Obviously I won't do that, so I'll just pick what seems best for me. I like lightweight, people have recommended good lightweight packs that sound capable of comfortably and reliably carrying heavy loads. I don't see a problem. I've learned of a few pack options on this thread which is cool. The Kifaru UL frame has been recommended a few times which I'm now giving more consideration to. It comes in a few sizes, so who knows once I measure myself maybe I'll find theirs fit best. I might go the custom/frankenpack route. Learning a thing or two about pack customization might be fun, and the knowledge will be useful in case I ever have a problem with a pack in the field.

Also I definitely plan to do some dry runs with whatever pack I end up with. I'm not going to let a kill be my first real heavy load and only learn then that my setup won't cut the mustard.

And finally, I kind of wish I had put this in the lightweight zone. Would have resulted in less contention.

Last edited:
No worries man, I went about it much the same way after last season. My first three failures (buying the wrong pack) were really frustrating. Lots of miserable miles and money down the drain. I researched, started several threads seeking more info, and finally bought a pack three months later. And then switched again the next fall when I could get my hands on a Kifaru UL frame. Now after loving my Rambler and the frame, I'm getting a cargo panel setup for multi-day shed hunts. I think it's very common to customize, modify, and change things up a bit after gaining experience in the field. As long as you at least get the frame /main system right the first time, you'll be happy and avoid a lot of frustration.

Nope! I'm sure it'll suck. I assume that I may get stuck making two trips. If so, oh well. One of the spots I'm looking at (second choice) involves a long pack out (11 miles if I can get to a trailhead that requires 4wd, longer otherwise). I also know of a much more accessible spot where you can hike for at least a few miles along a creek hunting the whole way, but I'd expect to see more hunters there. I might be able to use other hunters as pushers, though, and it'd probably be smart to dial in my setup before I do my first pack out at 11 miles.

UglyJow, that's an impressive base weight! I've got a thread in lightweight zone if you have any tips.

Sorry I didn't read your reply. :p Interesting that you like the ULTRA on the Icon Pro. Glad to see yet another recommendation for SO and SG. I've never backpack hunted, but I have backpacked and hunted (not at the same time) as well as some sub-alpine mountain climbing and lots of rock climbing (including multi-pitch climbing which includes using packs (albeit weighted with significantly less) on multi-mile approaches at times).

COlineman78, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I'm new to the area, so I'll have to see if any stores carry any packs so I can try them out. I'm also short on time so I might just pull the trigger based on specs and research.

Right on man! Sounds like you have a good foundation certainly for starting backpack hunting with your previous backpacking experience. I will shall I have found over the last 7-8 years of quite a bit of backpack hunting in there that when you start packing 90-100 pound loads out of the backcountry 10-20 miles it means you are under a heavy pack for 1 sometimes 2 full days. Personally I have found packs that are in the 4-8 pound range do better than those in the sub four pound range. Not to say you can't do it with a lighter pack or that a heavier pack is always the most comfy.

I am simply saying that comfort under a heavy load when looking at a full days pack out or more once you kill an animal is more important to me than 1-3 pounds of weight savings. That said however, pack fit is a personal thing and in the end you only have to satisfy yourself. When you start spending $500 or more on a pack they all are great and haul well for certain peoples body types and/or preferences. But the ultimate choice of course is up to you. You might hit a home run out of the gate or you might find something that works but after you haul out a few animals begin to wonder if there is a better mouse trap, but that's part of the fun.

Best of luck in your hunting and hunting for the right pack.

There is not many sub 4# hunting pack options because they lack in one way or another when it comes to durability and packing heavy loads. The Kifaru KU line of packs fit's your weight requirements, but they are not made anymore. You can find one used once in a great while. Mchale makes custom packs, but I don't know how much they weigh.

I had a Kifaru 5200 now I have a Exo 5500 and I'm very happy I made the change!
Tim

If you have done alot of back packing/climbing just use your normal pack.
save ya coins, go hunting, have fun.
when you have packed out 10-20 animals and spent few hundred days in the bush then start trying to cut weight.
having to carry an extra 2-3 pounds wont ruin your hunt. thinking you need to save 2 oz will.

I have the Kuiu ultra 6000, packed out 10 big loads(Tahr,stag,Mt goats) last year and numerous small loads(Chamois,partial Tahr/deer) and have no problems.
But we are used to packing it out kiwi style haha

That said however, pack fit is a personal thing and in the end you only have to satisfy yourself.

Luke said it best...Pack fit and shoe fit to me are a personal thing. What works for someone may not work for me, so in the end, it all comes down to having the equipment in hand and 'testing' it out a few weeks or a season. Good luck in deciding which pack to buy.

pontoon,

I saw this pop on ebay; looks like Jimmy Tarps is starting to make packs to fit on Kifaru frames. 1lb 3200ci bag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIFARU-JIMM...435148?hash=item35f852af8c:g:6rcAAOSwYIhWhZJo

Thanks! I messaged him and he put up a 9.9 oz pack and agreed to customize it by adding a load shelf. It'll be a little over 9.9 with the shelf. So gonna use that and the Kifaru UL frame. I'll make a new post once I know how I like the pack.

So total weight maybe 3 lbs 5 ounces. Not bad! Little bit riskier than a well established pack but it's a light option on a good frame and the bag has features I like. I'll do dry runs first then test it hunting closer to a vehicle before I take it on a big trip.

Sounds great. I've heard good things about his tarps, so I don't think it's all that risky of a proposition other than the obvious inherit risks of using lighter materials. I don't think you'll regret the decision to go with the Kifaru frame and you can always add composite stays later for heavier loads and more support if you wish. I look forward to hearing how this works out for you and seeing some pictures. Like I said: I am far from an ounce counter, but there are plenty out there so it's always good to have options.

Thanks! I messaged him and he put up a 9.9 oz pack and agreed to customize it by adding a load shelf. It'll be a little over 9.9 with the shelf. So gonna use that and the Kifaru UL frame. I'll make a new post once I know how I like the pack.

So total weight maybe 3 lbs 5 ounces. Not bad! Little bit riskier than a well established pack but it's a light option on a good frame and the bag has features I like. I'll do dry runs first then test it hunting closer to a vehicle before I take it on a big trip.

I would suggest the grab-it II to go along with the lighter bag. Make it do the heavy lifting. It will not only keep potential stress tears from working on the bag fabric, but it puts a tougher fabric on the bottom where you set it down on the ground.

I would suggest the grab-it II to go along with the lighter bag. Make it do the heavy lifting. It will not only keep potential stress tears from working on the bag fabric, but it puts a tougher fabric on the bottom where you set it down on the ground.

The custom bag has a flexible fabric at the bottom for similar purpose as the "grab it". Downside is that stuff can snag and get shredded if I'm estimating what it'll be like correctly. If the pack was perfect I would like to see the bottom and load shelf as higher denier fabric but oh well. I'll be careful with it and eventually learn something and maybe have another one made based on what I learn.

Back