Help me put this rifle on a diet

these are solid ideas.

Does anyone know how much weight would be saved by going form the XLR 4.O aluminum to the Atom magnesium in LA?

It’s a few oz. If you go onto the XLR website they have a weight calculator to work it all out.

Last edited:
OP, I had a similar want to drop weight on an almost identical set up. I went from a MK5 3-18 down to the NXS 2.5-10x. Cut about a half pound and I find that the rifle is a lot better handling as well without the heavy weight up top. Next I would look at switching grips and going with the 3rd mag like others have suggested. Or you could keep your current set up and swap to a carbon fiber stock for the hunt and drop the most weight.

The calculator says a bare chassis 4.0 Element in aluminum is 24 oz and an atom in MG is 16. So 8oz could be shaved by selling this chassis and replacing with Atom long term.

Short term savings:
3.5oz on the grip
8oz on the scope moving to a NF 2.5-10
6oz moving to polymer 3rd MDT

Takes the gun from 9lb 9oz to 8 lb 8oz unsuppressed.

For a 4 day-hunt elk rifle that weight seems reasonable, but for 10 days chasing sheep with full camp on my back it might be nice to switch to tote something a bit lighter.

The calculator says a bare chassis 4.0 Element in aluminum is 24 oz and an atom in MG is 16. So 8oz could be shaved by selling this chassis and replacing with Atom long term.

Short term savings:
3.5oz on the grip

For a 4 day-hunt elk rifle that weight seems reasonable, but for 10 days chasing sheep with full camp on my back it might be nice to switch to tote something a bit lighter.
I’d confirm that you can use the MDT mags on the XLR. From my understanding you can’t but please correct me if I’m wrong. I hate the current AICS set up for the XLR.

Why does everyone want an ultralight rifle? Just work out a bit more and carry the 10lbs rifle in the field… 10lbs isn’t that much for a rifle. Yes I understand that a 15lbs rifle is crazy, but 10lbs seems normal.

I’m doing the working out. No reason to carry more weight than necessary for a 10 day unsupported hunt in the artic circle.

Short term savings:
3.5oz on the grip

I was wondering if you were going to be carrying a full pack. Just a thought, but it might be easier to look at your gear and knock several lbs off that pretty easily(?). Win-win if you can swing that.

Yeah I think you should either just use it as I'd or go buy a Kimber MA for the ultra light stuff. Changing parts isn't going to be cheap and you'll still not end up where you want.

I’d start with details of the hunt- landing already in sheep country? Base camp close to where you land and day hunt from there, or moving with camp on your back? If that rifle works for your normal use, leave it alone and buy or borrow something for this hunt if you want lighter. I’d want a bunch lighter, and less recoil to match. Shouldn’t need to shoot super long- 500 yard effective range should be more than enough. Or even considerably less. My sheep/goat rifle is 7lb 4oz, and easy to shoot at that weight in 257 Rob Improved. Reliable scope but not one I’d dial (3-9 credo). 20” light profile barrel, bare muzzle, model 7 in a manners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to a 26 ounce or less CF stock, a lighter scope if you wish and drop the can for a Ti 2 or 3 port brake from SRS (1.4 ounce).

Without starting from scratch that's a good start.

I love using ultralight rifles as much as the next guy, but it's important to balance rifle weight versus the caliber of the hunt. It would suck to miss an opportunity at a ram due to shaving 6 ounces from swapping scopes.

For example, if I'm trying to fill a doe tag, I'll use the lightest rifle possible because I can be selective, and it's not a big deal if I don't get one. It's a doe. There'll be another opportunity.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if I draw a sheep tag (or win the lottery and buy a hunt), I'll bring the rifle I shoot the best to maximize odds for success. It's a freakin' ram. This is a once-in-three-lifetimes opportunity for most.

Side Note - how does the OP like the Backcountry Banish? I have one in jail right now - anxious to get it and throw it on the 22 creedmoor

I've only shot it on my .223 so far which was great. It's barely 8oz (maybe 7.8oz) and well built for this use. I have a couple silencerco Omegas and they seem better for banging around trucks and vehicles where weight doesn't matter or volume of fire it high.

Back