Help me sort through all the Tikka variations, please.

Cool. Ok, Are people using Tikka rings or whats going on there? I'll start searching threads, but since some of you are answering Im gonna just ask!
I prefer the DNZ Gamereaper 1 piece rings over the Talleys. The DNZ come in at about 3.0 oz including screws for 30mm. You can also buy a bubble level ring to swap one of the rings for.

For a reference point weight wise, here is a factory T3 superlite 223rem 1/8, cut to 16, 1/2x28 threads, with a 5/8x24 adapter. Has a fluted bolt and the mtn bolt nob. Has dnz rings mounted (bottom half, weighs 2oz), so all up, barreled action as such weighs 3lbs 8.9oz. Note, any bigger bore diameter will be a couple ounces less weight. (So a 308 barreled action would weigh around 3lbs 6.34oz set up the same way).

Attachments

• 20231206_113746.jpg
    20231206_113746.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 60
Ok, after MUCH deliberation, way too much actually, yesterday I ordered a Superlight from Cabelas. 6.5 CM, 24" barrel. Talked to smith and he will cut it back to 19" for me, and thread. Its the new camo pattern exclusively for cabelas and the gun is listed at 6 pounds flat. I was looking forward to taking 5" off and losing about 5 ounces... but the cost is an extra few hundred with gunsmith and an interesting looking transition in the fluting to the thread/adapter.

Just this morning I see a model I haven't seen yet on Euro, and they are calling it Roughtech Superlight... it has a 20" threaded barrel and they have it listed at 5.9 pounds. Is this real? I don't see this gun on the Tikka site, but then the tikka site is an interesting one to navigate and now there are so many dang models. That barrel is marginally longer than I wanted, I had settled on 19 but am still thinking hard about 18. No gunsmith needed... no weird transition from fluting to threading/adapter... anyhow, main question is has anyone any experience with this 20" Roughtech superlite??

As far as money goes, I'll be ahead with my current purchase at $949 plus a few hundred for smithing.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other short barreled superlights I am not seeing?

Thanks. I am also now trying to choose a scope.
Couple other data points:

I have a Tikka 6.5cm cut to 20 inches, regular lite barrel (threaded 1/2x28 with a 5/8x24 adapter). I get around 2560fps with factory Hornady ELDX ammo, and 2660 fps (suppressed) with handloaded 140ELD and h4350. Im expecting a tad more when I try RL16, as it has been giving me similar velocities in my 18 inch kimber.

At least where im at, there is gunsmith who will Cut/Thread the barrel for $160 (same day service) and another who will do it for $85, but it will take a couple months...

If you intend to keep the factory stock, the roughtech is heavier and has less flex than the regular superlite. If you intend to eventually put it in an aftermarket stock, the roughtech doesnt get you much. If you do run the factory stock, there is a vertical grip you can buy for it that works nicely. There are also aftermarket bottom metal options for around $160 you can get if you dont like the plastic.

It sounds like weight savings are of interest to you:
Mtn ultralight bolt nobs save almost an ounce and cost $90
LRI can flute a tikka bolt, their website says $200. Another ounce or two savings
A stockys carbon VG ($548, but there are often 20-30% off coupon codes) is supposed to weigh around 23 oz, which will save 5.7 oz over factory weight (add back in .6oz for action screws, 1.1 oz for plastic bottom metal, or 2.3 oz for metal to compare with the 30.4 oz factory stock weight... which includes the plastic bottom metal and action screws)

If you want a feature rich and ultra-durable scope, I like the NXS 2.5-10x42 (by the way, even though the specs online say otherwise, on my scale, it is only 0.2oz heavier than the SWFA 3-9HD). If you need more magnification, the next up would be the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 at 22.9 oz. Both are second focal plane, but have dialing turrets, side focus, and great glass. If you want to go uberlite, the SWFA 2.5-10x32 is the only option under 11oz.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
Ok, after MUCH deliberation, way too much actually, yesterday I ordered a Superlight from Cabelas. 6.5 CM, 24" barrel. Talked to smith and he will cut it back to 19" for me, and thread. Its the new camo pattern exclusively for cabelas and the gun is listed at 6 pounds flat. I was looking forward to taking 5" off and losing about 5 ounces... but the cost is an extra few hundred with gunsmith and an interesting looking transition in the fluting to the thread/adapter.

Just this morning I see a model I haven't seen yet on Euro, and they are calling it Roughtech Superlight... it has a 20" threaded barrel and they have it listed at 5.9 pounds. Is this real? I don't see this gun on the Tikka site, but then the tikka site is an interesting one to navigate and now there are so many dang models. That barrel is marginally longer than I wanted, I had settled on 19 but am still thinking hard about 18. No gunsmith needed... no weird transition from fluting to threading/adapter... anyhow, main question is has anyone any experience with this 20" Roughtech superlite??

As far as money goes, I'll be ahead with my current purchase at $949 plus a few hundred for smithing.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other short barreled superlights I am not seeing?

Thanks. I am also now trying to choose a scope.
That’s an expensive rifle and I’m not even sure if it’s stainless.

For all the different options in Tikka, my opinion is that the best thing is still a cheap stainless, chopped/threaded to desired length, and an aftermarket stock.

I have a Tikka CTR and a UPR (CTR barreled action in a different stock) that are 20” from factory. They are a tad heavier but excellent long distance steel, hunting platforms.

OP
Hornseeker
Thanks PGG for a ton of great info. Now I'm getting really excited. I was a bit nervous about cutting back that far even though I'd read a few accounts on the site, but your testimony is building back my confidence, Lol.

I think over a couple years I'll end up with all the upgrades, to include aftermarket stock.

Is your preferred lightweight can a titanium? Must be right? I am absolutely new to the suppressor world. I think I have a handle on scope stuff... now to suppressors.

Thanks PGG for a ton of great info. Now I'm getting really excited. I was a bit nervous about cutting back that far even though I'd read a few accounts on the site, but your testimony is building back my confidence, Lol.

I think over a couple years I'll end up with all the upgrades, to include aftermarket stock.

Is your preferred lightweight can a titanium? Must be right? I am absolutely new to the suppressor world. I think I have a handle on scope stuff... now to suppressors.
I'm not an expert on suppressors, and there are many on rokslide who have far more experience with them than I do. But I'd boil it down to this: if I had to just pick ONE can to do it all, I would lean towards maximum suppression capabilities... like my Magnus, even though it weighs a lot more. If I could buy just TWO suppressors, I'd get one that was heavier and ultra quiet, but also one that is less quiet but ultralite and as compact as possible. When it comes to size, my Ultra7 is about as long as I would want for hiking around in the woods. But, I could tolerate a can that is much wider.

Issues to consider; repeatable accuracy when taking the can off and on, and swapping between rifles. My first can was the Ultra7 because reviews indicate it is very repeatable when swapping between rifles. I can attest to this. However, if I had only one rifle, and the can wasn't coming off except to clean every so often... then the repeatability issue is less important.

My next can will probably be something like the Scythe Ti that (at least from reviews) seems to be a reasonable compromise between lightweight and maximized suppressive qualities. It would be a couple ounces lighter than my ultra7, a bit shorter, and suppress the bang to a similar degree. It's all about compromises though... I held an Alaskan 360ti yesterday, like 6.5oz on their scale, and very compact... but I haven't heard great things about how quiet it actually is. To a point, I'd trade a couple ounces for more suppression if I'm looking for a can to put on my backpack hunt rifle.

Another consideration in your search: when comparing apples to apples weight-wise, you need to have the weight of the suppressor plus it's mounting system. Many suppressors are advertised with their weight just including the suppressor itself. There are some good threads on here that share weights.

Another can I'm interested in after reading reviews would be the DD Enticer STI or LTI.

Last but not least... if you think you want to be using a suppressor for hunts next fall... you had better get the process started now. My latest can took 220 days from once the ATF had my money for the tax stamp. Some take longer... some go faster. The initial steps with your FFL and getting the suppressor into their hands can also add a few weeks. So if you started the process today, it's likely you won't have the can in your hands until mid August or early Sept. Some have had good luck involving their Congressman to speed up the process with the ATF, but still no guarantee. You will want to leave yourself enough time to shoot your rifle with the suppressor. It will change point of aim and even group sizes, so it's even best to develop a load (if you hand load) with the suppressor on due to the unique harmonics the barrel will experience with and without the can.

OP
Hornseeker
Good stuff thanks. And yeah, I am going to do my best to get the suppressor bought this week…

NDGuy

WKR
Anyone know the difference between the Ember and regular Roughtech?

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
Veil rifles and Cabelas D18 are stainless with cerakote. Roughtech is regular steel with cerakote. All the rifles get the heavier D18 profile fluted and threaded barrel and the fluted bolt with a different bolt knob. The stock on mine appeared to be exactly the same as the T3x Lite just with camo. FYI Bass Pros had some D18 stainless models on sale for $949 plus you could get 10% off on Club Mondays and you get the $75 rebate. $779 plus the tax for a Tikka stainless with some nice upgrades

Last edited: