Help me understand Vanes. AIRAZR vs. Max Stealth.

TheCoyote

FNG
Someone please Help me understand.

AAE is marketing the new AIRAZR or "air razor" vanes as the quietest vanes they have ever made. They are smooth and stiff. Other than that they appear to be the same dimensions of the AAE Max Stealth vanes.

The quietest birds out there are owls, and their feathers a downy soft. How is it that a stiff vane, is more quiet than a soft vane?

Other notes: Unlike the Max Stealths, AIRAZRs require no primer pen before gluing. AAE claims that the Airazr's are 7 grains each but in reality they are 8 grains each.

Why would I choose one vane over another? In my limited testing, they all preform about the same.

big44a4

WKR
Someone please Help me understand.

AAE is marketing the new AIRAZR or "air razor" vanes as the quietest vanes they have ever made. They are smooth and stiff. Other than that they appear to be the same dimensions of the AAE Max Stealth vanes.

The quietest birds out there are owls, and their feathers a downy soft. How is it that a stiff vane, is more quiet than a soft vane?

Other notes: Unlike the Max Stealths, AIRAZRs require no primer pen before gluing. AAE claims that the Airazr's are 7 grains each but in reality they are 8 grains each.

Why would I choose one vane over another? In my limited testing, they all preform about the same.

As Billy said quieter and no primer pen. A soft vane that flexes in flight is louder. See the silent knight sk200 those make blazers sound like a whisper.

I haven’t got any to try out yet as I still have a lot of hybrid 26s. Once I run out I’ll get them a try.

dkime

WKR
I got some samples of the AirRazors this week, gonna be a no for me. Adhesion wasn’t nearly as good as the typical hybrid design, and if you travel at all during the hunting season a stiff vane that keeps a memory is going to eventually put you in a bind. Sound from a vane is difficult to quantify because it’s hard to isolate variables. It’s not how you break the wind that matters, it’s how you put it back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Question: upon looking at the AAE/Airazr website I see that they have at least two versions of this vane. One is a parabolic shape exactly like the old Max Stealth, and the other is a shield cut vane that looks like the old Max Hunter. Which is the quiet one?

Question: upon looking at the AAE/Airazr website I see that they have at least two versions of this vane. One is a parabolic shape exactly like the old Max Stealth, and the other is a shield cut vane that looks like the old Max Hunter. Which is the quiet one?
Everything else being equal (which it never is!) the parabolic one will be quieter.

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
Well AIRAZR durability concerns are substantiated. I built up a few test arrows and am already seeing the vanes begin to deform. One arrow glanced off a 3D target and the vane slapped the foam on the way by. The arrow is fine but the vane is completely folded over like construction paper. The other vane leading edge is chewed up from hitting the ground. These vanes are not durable.

Maybe for a whitetail setup; one degree offset with a mechanical. I will go back to the Max Stealths that seem to be tough as nails and steer a fixed blade just fine.