Help on getting a muzzleloader

my wife drew a arizona elk muzzleloader tag and I don't know anything about a muzzleloader. Any suggestions on what brand to get would be helpful. Thanks guys!

I personally like CVA muzzleloaders I would avoid the wolf though). TC and Knife also make great guns.

Is there a budget you are thinking about?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

G&R

FNG
I would suggest the cva accura

I picked up a accura v2 LR last year and was very pleased with the way it performed, took a 10 pointer at 240 yards, I don't think you will be disappointed if you picked one up.

Donjuan

WKR
Best bang for your buck is a TC impact.
I really like Blackhorn 209 powder. It is the easiest to clean, very consistent from shot to shot.
I would check the regs where you are going regarding scopes, sabots, pellets etc.
Sabots will increase your accuracy for sure.
Favorite bullets for elk would be Thor, no excuses and barnes tez when you can use a sabot

Another recommendation for the CVA optima/accura line. Unless you want to drastically increase the budget to a custom rig, CVA are hard to beat for the money. BH209 will make your life easier also.

tdhanses

WKR
All I can say is start getting stuff as there is a shortage in the ML world as well.

Fatcamp

WKR
From what seen that was about 10-12 years ago? Anything more recent?

From what I can tell it was a limited run of rifles from 1995-1996. Certainly not common or recent, and it seems as though all involved operator error as well.

as.ks.ak

WKR
my wife drew a arizona elk muzzleloader tag and I don't know anything about a muzzleloader. Any suggestions on what brand to get would be helpful. Thanks guys!

I went with a T/C encore. The barrel is interchangeable with any other T/C Encore barrel. So I have a .50 cal Muzzleloader barrel, a 22-250, and a 7mm-08 barrel.

The 22-250 & 7mm-08 are for my kiddo when he grows up. He’ll learn and practice on the 22-250, and hunt with the 7mm-08. Both barrels will be topped with Talley Rings and Leupold 4.5-14x40. That way he’ll get the same trigger pull, LOP, and eye relief when practicing. The stock is adjustable.

Look at this thread to check out Kyle’s build for his daughters. I copied the idea from him.

The Hobbit Rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
couesarizona
Thank you everyone for you comments, I was fortunate to have a friend that ownes a CVA accura 50 cal. He took a bull a couple years ago at 150 yards and talking with him made me feel more comfortable about the situation. Ill post a picture of the bullet he was using. Any input on other choices would be appreciated. 20210321_141041.jpg

nobody

WKR
Another vote AGAIN for CVA. I saw somebody mention the blow ups and splitting barrels, but that was from late 90's/early 2000's, and hasn't happened since Bergara partnered with CVA. With using Bergara barrels now, they cannot be beat for an off the shelf muzzleloader.

Between my brothers and I, we have 3 CVA's (well, mine is a Winchester Apex, which was back when CVA and Winchester Blackpowder were effectively the same company). Dad has a TC Prohunter. The CVA's consistently out shoot the TC without question. We are talking sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards with the CVA's and about 3 inch groups with Dad's pro hunter with any projectile we put through them. We are CVA fans for sure.

As far as bullets are concerned, use anything but a power belt. They are easy to load, but that leads to lower bore pressures and lower velocities and poor accuracy. We tried them when we first got into muzzleloaders, and now you couldn't pay me to shoot them. We shoot .45 Cal 240 grain Hornady SST's in a .50 cal sabot for everything with good results. That said, I'm sure those Nosler's will be great too.

Check out Thor bullets. They are a to bore diameter Buller that has good performance.

Also, be sure to check game laws. Some state do not allow saboted bullets

ENCORE

WKR
Another vote AGAIN for CVA. I saw somebody mention the blow ups and splitting barrels, but that was from late 90's/early 2000's, and hasn't happened since Bergara partnered with CVA. With using Bergara barrels now, they cannot be beat for an off the shelf muzzleloader.

Between my brothers and I, we have 3 CVA's (well, mine is a Winchester Apex, which was back when CVA and Winchester Blackpowder were effectively the same company). Dad has a TC Prohunter. The CVA's consistently out shoot the TC without question. We are talking sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards with the CVA's and about 3 inch groups with Dad's pro hunter with any projectile we put through them. We are CVA fans for sure.

As far as bullets are concerned, use anything but a power belt. They are easy to load, but that leads to lower bore pressures and lower velocities and poor accuracy. We tried them when we first got into muzzleloaders, and now you couldn't pay me to shoot them. We shoot .45 Cal 240 grain Hornady SST's in a .50 cal sabot for everything with good results. That said, I'm sure those Nosler's will be great too.
Wow. My Pro Hunters would shoot 3/4" groups at 200yds, using 75grs WEIGHT of BH209 and 250gr Barnes TMZ bullets. The 290gr Barnes TMZ shot similar groups, also at 200yds.
Lots of whitetail have fallen to the Pro Hunter and Barnes combinations, also out close to 300yds.

To the OP.........................

If you're going to purchase a muzzleloader for your wife, consider the Knight Ultra lite.
No other production rifle is more accurate nor has won competitions than Knight.

another vote for CVA accura V2 LR. A couple of years ago i wanted to upgrade my old CVA firebolt and tested out CVA, Remington, & TC and nothing compared to the accura v2 LR. Trigger feels like an aftermarket $300 drop in trigger and the others felt like a self defense pistol trigger pull @ 10lbs. Pair the gun with 150grains of white hot powder & a powerbelt platinum aerotip and you got yourself a long range killing machine