Help with bow accessories and setup

JoeDirt

WKR
Alight i'm an experienced elk hunter but last year was my first go at archery elk. Im hooked!

I set up a Bowtech with basic stuff but im looking to improve on a few things.

One upgrade I need is a rest but im having a hard time finding a rest with these options.

Full containment
Cockable (raise the rest before shooting)
Micro adjust

Next on the list is a sight. Im sold on the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie double pin but I was told the non XL version will not dial to 100 yards?

Trying to get my parts list ordered with some of the black friday deals so I can start practicing ASAP for next season as I missed my bull this season :ROFLMAO:

The non xl might dial to 100 my xl has a hard time making it a lot has to do with your natural anchor and peep height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Alight i'm an experienced elk hunter but last year was my first go at archery elk. Im hooked!

One upgrade I need is a rest but im having a hard time finding a rest with these options.

Full containment
Micro adjust

Next on the list is a sight. Im sold on the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie double pin but I was told the non XL version will not dial to 100 yards?

Trying to get my parts list ordered with some of the black friday deals so I can start practicing ASAP for next season as I missed my bull this season :ROFLMAO:

Rest - QAD makes one that fits those requirements. But, I prefer Hamskea limb driven rests as I've had failures with Ripcord and QAD cocking and not coming down (melting snow freezing up in the action). The Hamskea is full containment and cocks itself.

Whether or not a sight will dial to 100 yards depends on a lot of things: Arrow weight / speed, peep height, dovetail length, and scope housing size coming to mind. Either Fast Eddie should, depending on other factors. I shoot Hogg Father's and a Tommy Hogg on my bows, both will dial to 100 and more for my setup.

Ripcord lok micro meets your rest requirements as well. But +1 to what @Brendan said...I switched to Hamskea and haven't looked back.

As noted, arrow weight, bow speed, peep height, zero-location of the sight gang, etc. all impact how far your sight will dial. I've been using Black Gold three pin sliders for awhile and if I needed to or had the capability I could shoot a good deal longer than 100 on a custom sight tape.

OP
J

JoeDirt

WKR
Thanks guys

I was wanting a cocking sight because I had a hard time keeping my arrow from rattling around. Thats how I missed my bull this year, every time the arrow would hit the rest the bull would look up. He knew I was there and jumped the string. Current rest is a Smack Down, I bought a Hamskea rest and have not put it on yet.

Zac

WKR
The Montana Black Gold Pro is superior to Spott Hogg due to sight on the 3rd Axis. Spott Hogg is very durable option however.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys

I was wanting a cocking sight because I had a hard time keeping my arrow from rattling around. Thats how I missed my bull this year, every time the arrow would hit the rest the bull would look up. He knew I was there and jumped the string. Current rest is a Smack Down, I bought a Hamskea rest and have not put it on yet.
Get you some double sided tape and felt pad from walmart and cover up the riser where the arrow will contact it. That's exactly what I did with my Hamskea and Limb Driver Pro V.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Ripcord lok micro meets your rest requirements as well. But +1 to what @Brendan said...I switched to Hamskea and haven't looked back.

As noted, arrow weight, bow speed, peep height, zero-location of the sight gang, etc. all impact how far your sight will dial. I've been using Black Gold three pin sliders for awhile and if I needed to or had the capability I could shoot a good deal longer than 100 on a custom sight tape.
Also how far the sight is from the riser will affect how far you can shoot.

AdamLewis

FNG
Option Archery's 8s on a direct mount should get to 100 yards on just about any setup.

It is spendy but absolutely top notch.

Full containment
Micro adjust

Check out the AAE Prophecy. Seems like a super nice rest and has every feature you are looking for, including a field replaceable activation cable, which is a nice touch. Probably aren't going to find a lot of info on it as it is new, but it is a newer version of their Pro Drop, which seems to get very good reviews.

No personal experience here - I'm shopping myself. Just thought I would share what I had found as it is a new option. I have basically the same requirements, but with the micro adjust being more in the "nice to have" category.