Help with Kuiu Chugach/NX ranges

Markdjr

FNG
I have a set of the original Kuiu Chugach rain gear. I am looking to save some weight in the pack and went looking for the Ultra NX, although I see it has been replaced with Chugach NX, which weighs about the same as my older Chugach. Anyone have any insight in the diffrerences? Specifically, was the Ultra NX just too light to hold up to any use/abuse, thus the discontinuation? Any recommendations for a pant/jacket combo in around 1.5lbs? Thanks for any info.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have a set of the original Kuiu Chugach rain gear. I am looking to save some weight in the pack and went looking for the Ultra NX, although I see it has been replaced with Chugach NX, which weighs about the same as my older Chugach. Anyone have any insight in the diffrerences? Specifically, was the Ultra NX just too light to hold up to any use/abuse, thus the discontinuation? Any recommendations for a pant/jacket combo in around 1.5lbs? Thanks for any info.

I think Kuiu just came out with the Northridge line that replaces the Ultra/teton rain gear.

Northridge

This is true. I have the ultra nx and have used it the last few days here in Western wa, been raining, kept me dry and had not torn up after passing through some fir and hemlock, alder saplings, and some other brush. Now that it's discontinued i wish i had bought another pair of pants when they were on closeout, that would have given me 2 full sets instead of 2 jackets and 1 pair of pants.
I think Kuiu just came out with the Northridge line that replaces the Ultra/teton rain gear.

Northridge

This is true. I have the ultra nx and have used it the last few days here in Western wa, been raining, kept me dry and had not torn up after passing through some fir and hemlock, alder saplings, and some other brush. Now that it's discontinued i wish i had bought another pair of pants when they were on closeout, that would have given me 2 full sets instead of 2 jackets and 1 pair of pants.

The Northridge does seem to be the replacement, but it is close to the Ultra NX in price, only has the waterproof/breathability rating of the Teton, and the weight of the Chugach. Worst of all 3 worlds IMO.

JD619er

WKR
Actually they are about 5-6 ounces lighter than the chugach. The pants are 11 ounces and jacket is 13. Still pretty ultralight. And they cheaper than the ultra was and have pit zips and pockets which the ultra and Teton did not. So you might not have the same ratings as the ultra line did. But it would still be considered ultralight rain gear and the added features of pockets and pit zips increase the price over the Teton line.

Have you considered Kryptek Poseiden 2 or the new Jupiter set? Weight looks to be the same as Northridge and waterproof/breathability ratings the same and a bit cheaper than Kuiu. $300 for the set of Poseiden and $190 for the Jupiter. I'm assuming Jupiter is similar to the Ultra NX.