Help with lightweight rifle

GPATTI

WKR
Guys,
I am looking to get a (left-handed) lightweight rifle. Since there are very limited LH options, I am considering a Tikka T3 Lite, and having barrel and bolt fluted, to get closer to weight of a Montana or Mtn Ascent.

Do I buy gun then send to someone for fluting? Who?

NOTE: I picked this idea up from reading other threads on here. I have been strictly a bowhunter for nearly 30 years, so this is all new to me. Thanks for any support. Open to all suggestions. Since I will not be using this a lot, if realistic I’d like to keep the rifle cost (w/o optics) to $1000-$1400

Last edited:
Get a tikka t3 lite and just go with it. They are lite enough as is. Plus they are extremely accurate. I wouldn’t jack with it in fear of messing with accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
+1 to that.

I have both, but haven't shot the Kimber yet. I would not have the barrel fluted, or the bolt. Not worth it and too risky vs the gain.

My wife carried the T3 in 7mm mag, with a brake, last year and was happy as a clam with the weight.

You would be better off finding one pound somewhere else in your gear list to shave a pound if it's so needed.

I'm all for light weight, but not at the expense of performance or exorbitant cost.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I purchased a little Savage 10 Lightweight Hunter 2 years ago, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. In full disclosure, I did struggle with getting really good accuracy initially, but I bedded it in a Left Hand -right bolt Boyds stock, and it is a tack driver now. It'll shoot sub-MOA all day long with Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr. The boyds probably added a pound or two but its still probably a 7 to 7.5 pound rifle.

Attachments

• Savage rifle.jpg
    Savage rifle.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 47

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
I’m with the ones above. I own several Tikka T3 Lites. They are definitely lite enough as is. The couple of oz you’d save by fluting the bolt wouldn’t be worth the cost. They all shoot great. My personal favorite is a 260 Rem, but a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 300 WSM would also be on the top of my list. Throw on a Leupod VX-5 and you’ll have a modest lite weight rifle capable of shooting as far as you’re comfortable to.

Last edited:
OP
G

GPATTI

WKR
Thanks guys!! Just pulled the trigger on a Tikka T3x Lite. (Pun intended)

I purchased a little Savage 10 Lightweight Hunter 2 years ago, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. In full disclosure, I did struggle with getting really good accuracy initially, but I bedded it in a Left Hand -right bolt Boyds stock, and it is a tack driver now. It'll shoot sub-MOA all day long with Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr. The boyds probably added a pound or two but its still probably a 7 to 7.5 pound rifle.
That's funny. I did just the opposite - taking a Savage Model 10 7mm-08, chopping the barrel to 20" and fitting it into a walnut lightweight hunter stock. It's my favorite Savage rifle of all I've owned. 7 lbs. scoped, right on the button, and shoots great.

My other 7mm-08 is a Tikka T3 that also weighs 7 lbs. scoped, and it's a tack driver with anything I feed it.

6.5 Creedmoor

Hornady 143 eld-x should be the factory load ticket in 6.5. My tikka 270 shoots just a hair over 1/2” with 130 hornady sst superformance. I don’t bother hand loading since it will usually cloverleaf three shots.

You will enjoy it. Dad bought a tikka t3x 6.5 cm last fall and loves it. 1/2 moa at 100. It eats 143 eldx’s
de865a457d0aef7ad31a1c917210dfeb.jpg

3 shoots at 400 next to my wrist. The ones at top were a 300 win, two shots. It will sing. After I get back from Alaska, I will have one too. Great little gun.
92714683339e5ad2596c891e34c1a07e.jpg

You will enjoy it. Dad bought a tikka t3x 6.5 cm last fall and loves it. 1/2 moa at 100. It eats 143 eldx’s
de865a457d0aef7ad31a1c917210dfeb.jpg

3 shoots at 400 next to my wrist. The ones at top were a 300 win, two shots. It will sing. After I get back from Alaska, I will have one too. Great little gun.
92714683339e5ad2596c891e34c1a07e.jpg

Titan_Bow

WKR
That's funny. I did just the opposite - taking a Savage Model 10 7mm-08, chopping the barrel to 20" and fitting it into a walnut lightweight hunter stock. It's my favorite Savage rifle of all I've owned. 7 lbs. scoped, right on the button, and shoots great.

My other 7mm-08 is a Tikka T3 that also weighs 7 lbs. scoped, and it's a tack driver with anything I feed it.

From what I’ve heard the walnut stock is a lot more stable platform than the flimsy Tupperware stock that my LWH came with. The Boyd’s was a good compromise as I couldn’t find an OEM walnut stock

From what I’ve heard the walnut stock is a lot more stable platform than the flimsy Tupperware stock that my LWH came with. The Boyd’s was a good compromise as I couldn’t find an OEM walnut stock

You are correct. The walnut LWH stock is very stiff, and only weighs an ounce or two more than the tupperware stock. You can order one direct from Savage (I called and asked) but it's pricey. $300 if I recall correctly. I was lucky enough to find two of them used, one on feebay and the other on a Savage shooter's website. Both were practically unused. They are my favorite stock of all for Savage rifles, but if you drop a standard model 10 action in them, you will have to do some very minor inletting to get the action to fit. Once you do though, it's almost like having a bedded action. My 7mm-08 (and the one I built for my buddy) have a 20" Axis barrel, a model 10 action and a walnut LWH stock, and they both shoot sub-MOA all day long. I use mine for my whitetail rifle, when I don't expect it to be out in the weather much. For my western hunts, I take my stainless Tikka T3 because I always get rained on and am usually camping.

OP
G

GPATTI

WKR
Hornady 143 eld-x should be the factory load ticket in 6.5. My tikka 270 shoots just a hair over 1/2” with 130 hornady sst superformance. I don’t bother hand loading since it will usually cloverleaf three shots.

Great, thanks!

Guys,
I am looking to get a (left-handed) lightweight rifle. Since there are very limited LH options, I am considering a Tikka T3 Lite, and having barrel and bolt fluted, to get closer to weight of a Montana or Mtn Ascent.

NOTE: I picked this idea up from reading other threads on here. I have been strictly a bowhunter for nearly 30 years, so this is all new to me. Thanks for any support. Open to all suggestions. Since I will not be using this a lot, if realistic I’d like to keep the rifle cost (w/o optics) to $1000-$1400
If you decide to flute look up kampfeld custons in north idaho great work

Also if you need some long range lite weight rings look at the direct mount hawkins at www.bertrambrass.com

Attachments

• 20190730_162750.jpg
    20190730_162750.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 44
Guys,

I’ve recently purchased a new rifle and then sent the barreled action to my smith for fluting.