Help with understsanding some regulations: Maine...binos

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been doing some reading and saw this mentioned in the Maine moose hunting guide.

"Target, sex/age identification is critical to a moose hunt, specifically with the
subpermittee system! Even in the thick Maine woods it remains critical to use binoculars
to identify target and remain on the same page and in direct communication with the
subpermittee."

"The permittee
may hunt alone, but the subpermittee must always be in the presence of the permittee
while hunting; that presence must be unaided by visual or audio enhancement devices,
including binoculars and citizens band radios. "

I feel confused, these almost contradict each other...can i not use binoculars?

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
I think I've answered my own question. We cant be considered in presence, if it is in view with binos. Ie opposite sides of a field but visually in contact via binos.

I felt dumb for a minute for sure. Essentially we have to be in direct presence, but can use binos while hunting "together"

I assumed was automatic as far as the definition amd understanding of presence, so it really threw me off for a few minutes.

Eleven

FNG
Thats correct. They are emphasizing that if a subpermittee is being used they need to be close to the permittee. Then, because people will stretch the law to as far as they can, they define some of the limits of ‘close proximity’.