High calorie power bar diy

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
Found a DIY power bar on the Kuiu web site that is really good taste like PB&J, Only 3 parts no cooking and pack a big punch. just do a search on the web for Kuiu diy high calorie bar.

That looks pretty good.
Seems like you could do a few varieties as well. Different nuts and maybe blueberries for the cranberries.
Going to have to make up a couple batches.

Ray

WKR
peanuts...massive inflammation of my joints in my hands. sucks, but I'd rather be able to use my hands in the mornings. I'll stick to the macadamia nut/date bars I've been making these last 10 years.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
These are homemade Lara bars. Google that and you will find tons of recipes. Or if you lack the time and want to spend a little more, buy Lara bars. Most have about 3 ingredients in them - dates, some sort of nut, and some dried fruit. You can often find them for $1 each on sale. I don't know what the cost of homemade ones works out to.

Last edited:
peanuts...massive inflammation of my joints in my hands. sucks, but I'd rather be able to use my hands in the mornings. I'll stick to the macadamia nut/date bars I've been making these last 10 years.
You wouldn't by chance be willing to share this recipe would you?

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Going to have to try the Kuiu recipe. Thanks for sharing.

I've been playing with some recipes and this recipe is the simplest I've found from blendtec's website. Link Not sure on cal/oz, but they are tasty if you like peanut butter. Could be made into bars as well.

Ray

WKR
You wouldn't by chance be willing to share this recipe would you?

My original one was based on the rule of thirds: 1 volume of nuts, 1 volume of dried fruit, 1 volume of dates. I have added in shredded coconut at a 1/2 volume. I've tried apricots and tart cherries along with blue berries. I like them all, but the cherries are my preferred dried fruit. I have also tried adding in a few table spoons of coconut oil to make it smoother to shape. Makes it really messy on a hot day in the mountains so I don't do that any more. I have made them with 1/2 volumes of almonds, cashews, and macadamia nuts and pure macadamia nuts. I have not tried adding in spices or any type of chocolate.

Due to the quality of the dried fruit here in AK, I need to soak it in hot water for about 20 minutes to an hour to get it soft enough to be ground in the processor.

I prefer to shape into small 2oz sausages, plastic wrap each one, then vacuum pac in groups of three.

For a starting point recipe here is a link to three ingredient bars, which shows the options for adding in stuff.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-3-ingredient-energy-bars-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-184306

Tbuckus

WKR
Found a DIY power bar on the Kuiu web site that is really good taste like PB&J, Only 3 parts no cooking and pack a big punch. just do a search on the web for Kuiu diy high calorie bar.

Made these yesterday. They taste good. A nice alternative to store bought bars.
Spent about $5 for the ingredients. Got everything in the bulk bin except the cranberries. That was half the price there.
I can easily see subs touting cashews and or other nuts for the peanuts to change up the taste.

I just made these and they're damn good! Thanks for sharing. We'll be enjoying them over the next 6 days backpacking.

Jake

OP
slick trick

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
i liked mine for sure, there is a little trick if you want it to stick together a little more soak those dates in warm water for about 10 min.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I made mine yesterday..
Pecans, cranberries, dates, coconut, and orange zest..
Dam good..

xcutter

WKR
I made some yesterday also. Dates, almonds, coconut, cherries and chocolate. Taste better than any bars I've ever bought. Super easy too. Made them in about 15 minutes.

MMMMmmmmm Bear-poo-bars! :p

I making tried some bars a couple years ago, used cashew flower, cherries, a bit if agave syrup, chocolate chips and some sort of vanilla protein powder I had. They packed a punch,, both in energy and the gas factor! I called am fart-barz!

Around here at a local store lara bars are 10/$10 all the time so a buck a piece, and a good selection.