High Country hunt - water!

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone,
I am preparing for my high country Wyoming mule deer hunt. The area we are hunting is pretty remote, and the hike is straight up! we will be parking at 7500 feet, hiking up to 9500 feet (top of the ridge) and hunting down the other side of the ridge where there are no roads. We are full backpack hunt and are preparing for a 6-7 day hunt (me and my brother who is from WY.)

the issue is water! My brother has hunted the area and the nearest water to where we camp is about 1000' downhill from camp. the question is how much water to bring in. with 6-7 days of food, clothing for cold, tent, etc the pack is getting heavy! If I carry in 5 L, I will weigh nearly 70 lbs on the way in. any thoughts or advice? 70 is a lot, but its not a super long hike (just steep) so as long as we go really slow and take our time i think we will be OK. in my estimate, 5 L will last around 3 days? I have been hiking up mtns with 55-60 lbs and am somewhat ready, but I live at sea level - no way to prepare for the elevation, although i grew up in CO.

Well. . . For me, I'd look at the forecast and also analyse if anything can stay in the truck. 5L would only last me about a day and a half of hard hunting or even sitting in the sun and cooking a mountain house for supper.

Only you can know your body, my typical rule is 1 gallon per day when hunting and I have to cook mountain house. . . But I'm also a bigger guy and like to stay fully hydrated. I know guys that figure for about 60 Oz per day when muley hunting. Just depends on your personal needs.

Meal bars (like Pro Bar) help me out... crazy how much water you can burn through with Mountain House just to fill back up with salt.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Well. . . For me, I'd look at the forecast and also analyse if anything can stay in the truck. 5L would only last me about a day and a half of hard hunting or even sitting in the sun and cooking a mountain house for supper.

Only you can know your body, my typical rule is 1 gallon per day when hunting and I have to cook mountain house. . . But I'm also a bigger guy and like to stay fully hydrated. I know guys that figure for about 60 Oz per day when muley hunting. Just depends on your personal needs.

I am a bigger guy too, so I could see using more water. I am hoping there is some snow on the ground! will make water much easier.

Brendan

WKR
Unrestricted on water, I go through around 5L in a day when it's hot and I'm really exerting myself. I'm 5'11", 175, and consider myself in pretty good shape, not like I'm a big dude. I think being from sea level, drinking lots of water and electrolytes is one of the things that lets me keep hunting for a long trip.

Carry as much as you can, and be prepared to drop to get more. I have multiple Dromlite and Dromedary Bags for this reason, including one 10L.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Meal bars (like Pro Bar) help me out... crazy how much water you can burn through with Mountain House just to fill back up with salt.

yeah, for the cost, mtn house dont seem to be the greatest option! we are doing them for dinner only - for lunch I am making peanut butter, honey and banana sandwiches and freezing them. lots of bars and trail mix!

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Unrestricted on water, I go through around 5L in a day when it's hot and I'm really exerting myself. I'm 5'11", 175, and consider myself in pretty good shape, not like I'm a big dude. I think being from sea level, drinking lots of water and electrolytes is one of the things that lets me keep hunting for a long trip.

Carry as much as you can, and be prepared to drop to get more. I have multiple Dromlite and Dromedary Bags for this reason, including one 10L.

I am bringing a 100 oz bladder, a 70 oz bladder, and a 10 L drybag for water - I agree though, i am prepared to drop. I am 5-11 210 lbs and in pretty good shape, but elevation is the animal I am not ready for! on a local 4 mile hike with 800' of elevation gain and 55 lb pack, I use about 1-1.5L of water (this is unrestriced.) I am hustling too though so sweating like crazy. this hike takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes. I plan to go MUCH slower on the way in when heavy.

Brendan

WKR
It's going to depend - cooler and cloudy with not a lot of stalks, sitting behind the glass, water will last. Hot and sunny chasing after a lot of deer, you'll go through it fast. Might want to bring a nalgene, a steripen or some tablets, and an empty bladder on every stalk you go on even if you don't bring your pack.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
You'll have plenty of time to drop to go get water during the day, about 7 hours worth. Though, if you can do it, I'd have enough to get you through opening day and the 2nd morning. 1000' drop is pretty typical and that's just part of the hunt, take your time and your rifle, you never know. Coming from sea level, the last thing you want to do is get dehydrated. The western mountains got snow the other night, but by this weekend it'll be melted out and hot again. By 10:00 am, unless they're bumped by other hunters, deer will be bedded up in the timber. If it continues to get as hot as it has been like last week, evenings are short. Take your time and enjoy the hunt. Good luck.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
You'll have plenty of time to drop to go get water during the day, about 7 hours worth. Though, if you can do it, I'd have enough to get you through opening day and the 2nd morning. 1000' drop is pretty typical and that's just part of the hunt, take your time and your rifle, you never know. Coming from sea level, the last thing you want to do is get dehydrated. The western mountains got snow the other night, but by this weekend it'll be melted out and hot again. By 10:00 am, unless they're bumped by other hunters, deer will be bedded up in the timber. If it continues to get as hot as it has been like last week, evenings are short. Take your time and enjoy the hunt. Good luck.

great advice thanks! I still have a few weeks until I head up so I am hoping it cools down - green river got blasted yesterday! this is pretty much what I had thought to do - bring enough water for 2 days, then drop down (without all the pack in weight) and fill upp all the water containers we have.

I will report back in early october!

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
70lbs?? I think you have some other items that need to be stripped. from "we" i gather its a group. Carry a single tent for 2-3 people, share a spotter and switch between spotter and bino. Drop some comfort gear. switch out a couple meals for bars. If you want to drop some water weight and not have to do a lot of back and forth I would carry empty collapsible water containers like sea to summit water cell or the platypus bags. Have enough water for the first day, go get a lot of water day two since you will have dropped camp/ food, you can carry more water back to camp.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
70lbs?? I think you have some other items that need to be stripped. from "we" i gather its a group. Carry a single tent for 2-3 people, share a spotter and switch between spotter and bino. Drop some comfort gear. switch out a couple meals for bars. If you want to drop some water weight and not have to do a lot of back and forth I would carry empty collapsible water containers like sea to summit water cell or the platypus bags. Have enough water for the first day, go get a lot of water day two since you will have dropped camp/ food, you can carry more water back to camp.
no, we are pretty light I think. two of us going, and we have one tent

sleep system (2 lb 19 degree sleeping bag, pad, 25 degree bag liner), - 4 lbs
tent - 5.5 lbs (big agnes 3 man)
clothing - 6 lbs (ish) (I think I can cut a little here - I have all merino wool and duck down outer layer so I dont need as many redundant pairs)
spotter and tripod- 6lbs
bino case w/range finder and 10x42 - 3 lbs
pack - 6 lbs
gun - 9.5 lbs
ammo - 1 lb
jet boil - 1.33 lbs
7 days food - 11 lbs (1.5 lbs/day which i think is pretty good w/out breaking the bank)
misc items - 2 lbs

total - 55 lbs

100 oz of water - 6.5 lbs
70 oz bladder - 4.5 lbs
new total - 67 lbs

my brother is sharing my tent and spotter, so we will definitely split this which will drop some weight.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
great advice thanks! I still have a few weeks until I head up so I am hoping it cools down - green river got blasted yesterday! this is pretty much what I had thought to do - bring enough water for 2 days, then drop down (without all the pack in weight) and fill upp all the water containers we have.

I will report back in early october!

Green River got more than what the mountains did west of me and I'm 100 miles north of Green River. One of the driest last 4 weeks I've ever seen up here. Really though, and I'm not the youngest guy anymore, but I usually like to plan 1 gallon per day. When you fill up your containers, drink all you can while you're filling up. If its hot and your climbing in the sun, you can easily drink half a liter.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Green River got more than what the mountains did west of me and I'm 100 miles north of Green River. One of the driest last 4 weeks I've ever seen up here. Really though, and I'm not the youngest guy anymore, but I usually like to plan 1 gallon per day. When you fill up your containers, drink all you can while you're filling up. If its hot and your climbing in the sun, you can easily drink half a liter.

I take it your in Pinedale?

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
no, we are pretty light I think. two of us going, and we have one tent

sleep system (2 lb 19 degree sleeping bag, pad, 25 degree bag liner), - 4 lbs
tent - 5.5 lbs (big agnes 3 man)
clothing - 6 lbs (ish) (I think I can cut a little here - I have all merino wool and duck down outer layer so I dont need as many redundant pairs)
spotter and tripod- 6lbs
bino case w/range finder and 10x42 - 3 lbs
pack - 6 lbs
gun - 9.5 lbs
ammo - 1 lb
jet boil - 1.33 lbs
7 days food - 11 lbs (1.5 lbs/day which i think is pretty good w/out breaking the bank)
misc items - 2 lbs

total - 55 lbs

100 oz of water - 6.5 lbs
70 oz bladder - 4.5 lbs
new total - 67 lbs

my brother is sharing my tent and spotter, so we will definitely split this which will drop some weight.

That does look pretty trimmed down. without spending a lot of money i cant see a lot of weight savings. My rifle/pack are a little lighter but you just made me think my bag is heavier than i thought. Splitting the spotter/tent saves you 5 lbs. Dropping a little water weight and carry empty bags could help but i cant speak to how much water you need. I agree with the food comment, that freeze dried stuff can get expensive.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
That does look pretty trimmed down. without spending a lot of money i cant see a lot of weight savings. My rifle/pack are a little lighter but you just made me think my bag is heavier than i thought. Splitting the spotter/tent saves you 5 lbs. Dropping a little water weight and carry empty bags could help but i cant speak to how much water you need. I agree with the food comment, that freeze dried stuff can get expensive.

the other thing, by going all freeze dried, you are just removing water that you have to add back anyways, so its nearly a net 0 benefit at the expense of money!

I have the eberlestock Emod pack (mainfraim, two batwings and a drybag) so it is pretty light weight. I could spend an extra $400 and go to kifaru or stone glacier and save a pound maybe...

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
6-7 days is a long time in one spot; your pack weight is what it is. I always worry about food, but find I tend to eat a little less after a day or two as I adjust. If your not here for a few weeks, it may be completely different by that time, weather wise. It was 19 deg this morning, frosty sum-bitch. Lows in the 20's again tonight. You'll need all that 6#'s of clothing. In a few weeks you may find that camping near your high elevation water source and some firewood and climbing early in the morning may be the better option. Just depends. Good luck again.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
6-7 days is a long time in one spot; your pack weight is what it is. I always worry about food, but find I tend to eat a little less after a day or two as I adjust. If your not here for a few weeks, it may be completely different by that time, weather wise. It was 19 deg this morning, frosty sum-bitch. Lows in the 20's again tonight. You'll need all that 6#'s of clothing. In a few weeks you may find that camping near your high elevation water source and some firewood and climbing early in the morning may be the better option. Just depends. Good luck again.

yeah, we are expecting cold weather. I am sure it will be low 20's at night. I have 3 layers of merino wool, badlands down mid layer, and badlands shell. I will be fine for clothing. hoping for a little snow!