High country success

I'd like to preface this recap with a big "thank you" to all the people on this forum that have and do impart so much of their wisdom and personal tips & tactics. This was my first backpack hunt, and it couldn't have been more awesome. It was like winning the outdoorsman's lottery.

This hunt first came up on my radar back in 2013 when I was going through my contact list in my phone and doing a little tidying up of numbers I no longer had a use for. I came upon a number of a friend of mine from back in the day who I hadn't talked to in a few years. I still considered him a good friend, we'd just grown a little out of touch. I sent him a text and luckily the number still belonged to my friend. Anyway, we go to talking about life and soon the topic of conversation turned to hunting, as it should right? He told me he had drawn a muley tag in wyoming and had done some scouting so far during the summer and was excited for his hunt to open (it was probably in june/july when this happened). He told me I should look into applying for it next year, and if I drew, he'd take me to his spot and show me around. He said there were big bucks up there, and that's all I needed to hear. He also did end up dropping the hammer on a really pretty 4x4 that scored in the 180's. I was drooling when he sent me the picture of him behind his trophy.

Fast forward to spring of this year. I ended up drawing the tag I'd put in for. My friend had also put in, but hadn't drawn. I contacted him the day the results for wyoming were released and shared my excitement of drawing with him and one of the things he said is 'we've got to get up there and get to work finding you a good buck!' That was music to my ears.

We were only able to make one scouting trip up there before the season opened, even though the original plan was to make several. But we managed to find some sweet bucks, one in particular that would haunt my dreams (literally) for a while:
IMG_1484_zps0e0b6987.jpg

The picture doesn't do him justice, he was pretty heavy and really wide. And this was only mid July, so he had some time left to grow still.

We also saw some good bulls up high:
IMG_1456_zps2963d7bd.jpg

And you know you're up there when you see these right across from you:
IMG_1451_zpsc56da335.jpg

The friday before opening day I drove up with my buddy after we got off work. The plan was to do as much glassing as possible and hopefully find a shooter buck that we could try to pattern as much as possible before opening day. We started the ~4 mile pack in at 11 pm. It had cooled off substantially in the recent days based off of weather reports, and we found the reports to be pretty accurate as we saw frost all over during the midnight hours of the hike in. We left the truck and were able to hike by moonlight for quite a ways as long as there wasn't much tree cover. Watching our shadows sprawl out in front of our every step over the frost covered ground and walking by the soft light of the moon, it almost felt surreal. To say I'd been looking forward to and anticipating this hunt was an understatement.

As we climbed the rolling hills and passed through meadows we could hear bulls bugling in the distance. When we were in the middle of some dead fall we heard the closest bugle of all, and it sounded like it was getting closer. We stopped and turned off our headlamps. Soon we heard some crashing coming right for us. When it was about 15-20 yards away and began to slow, we flipped on our headlamps and pointed them in the direction of the noise. The big 6x6 bull swung his head back and forth in the beams of light, looking pretty confused, and promptly took off the way he'd come. I think he figured out we weren't elk.

We rolled in to our campsite at around 2:30-3 am. Soon after dropping my pack and helping my friend with the tent, I was pretty chilled. I'd gotten pretty lathered up on the hike in. The steepest part was a big hill just off the lip from our campsite. I got out of my sweaty clothes and into my merino base layers and slipped into my Western Mountaineering down bag and slipped off to sleep with visions of big bucks running through my head.

After about 3 hours of sleep, we were up and glassing. The morning was a little slower than we had expected buck-wise, but we saw some activity that gave us hope. Here is a pic of one of the best bucks of the morning that I spotted:
IMG_1656_zps84249a72.jpg

He was still in full velvet, the only one of the trip we'd see that was like that. Later that morning I also spotted a black bear, which was cool since I hadn't seen one up there yet.

The rest of that day was pretty slow. Not a whole lot sighted that got us too excited. All in all, not the best day for spotting huge bucks. All I could think of most of the day was the big buck I'd seen that morning in full velvet. Little did I know we'd meet again...

The next day, the morning glassing session produced almost nothing, much to our surprise. In the afternoon I managed to spot this 4x4:
IMG_1688_zps774d661c.jpg

He was probably 24-26ish wide.

He was a ways away, so it isn't the best pic since I'm all the way zoomed in. There was also a lot of wind when I took it which didn't make it any easier to get a good picture of him bedded.

(more to come...)

Last edited:
OP
back country
Later that evening, I found a buck that my friend had told me about that he'd seen last year. He had told me that he was pretty sure some other hunters he'd seen had killed this buck, but after seeing the pics I got of him he confirmed to me that it was indeed the same buck from last year and that he must have somehow eluded the hunters that were pursuing him.

My friend told me this buck was the size of a small horse body-wise, and that his spread had to be a good ways over 30". He didn't have a lot of points, but his main beams just kept going out and never curled back in at all. And he was super massive. My friend told me he was even bigger this year than last. As I watched him that night before the opener, after having eyes on him for a while I could confirm he was a 5x3 with long eyeguards. I liked the look of him to say the least.
IMG_1702_zps7f774851.jpg

As I went to bed before the opener that night, all I could think of was that huge-bodied 5x3.

When the alarm went off at 4:35 I don't think I had slept at all. I was so nervous/anxious/excited that I could hardly contain myself. The plan was for me to slip down a game trail to the bottom of the draw and go up the opposite side, side-hilling for a bit, and wait for first light by a pre-determined group of trees while my buddy stayed back and glassed for me. We had walki-talkis to communicate with and he had a little earbud/microphone piece for me to use.

As I sat by a small group of pines anxiously awaiting the first rays of dawn to creep over hill behind me where our camp was, I was nervous to say the least. I'd been anticipating, planning for, and talking about this hunt for several months. What if I never even got a chance to shoot today? We had to leave that night since my friend had to be to work the next day. What if I became a statistic and succumbed to the dreaded 'buck-fever' and whiffed an easy shot? As the first rays of light crept over the hill and I was finally able to make out outlines of trees and rocks, I knew the time had come. I was going to give it my best shot (no pun intended) and hope for the best. I had already dropped everything and was proceeding from this point forward with my rifle, binos strapped to my chest, and rangefinder. I also took one trekking pole to help me keep balance as this was an extremely steep hillside.

I crept up to ridge #1 and sat and glassed for a while with my binos. I didn't see anything. I slowly started edging out of the trees and down the small but steep ravine. I stopped a few more times and hunkered down to glass my surroundings, but still wasn't seeing anything. I tried to tell myself this was a good sign and meant I hadn't spooked anything (yet), but I was also nervous at the possibility of having been winded and already blown my chances in here for the day. I didn't have a choice except to keep going. I slowly made my way to the bottom of the ravine and started up the other side. I still wasn't seeing anything whenever I'd stop to glass. I slowly made my way to the opening in the trees on ridge #2. We'd determined that if the mini-horse buck was still around the general spot where I'd seen him bed down the night before, that I should be able to get my best chance at him from here. I slowly crept up to the opening, feeling as if all my senses were on overdrive. It was the most alive I'd felt in long time.

As the hillside began falling away from me once again on the other side of the ridge, I just sat and listened. There was a creek running a ways down the hill behind this ridge. i heard some branches snap above and to my left (I thought that's were it came from anyway), and looked up. I almost immediately recognized the grove of trees up the hillside where I'd seen the massive 5x3 bed at last night. I waited, but didn't see or hear anything else. Then, there was some noise below and to my left. I looked and saw the buck I'd seen two days ago, the one still in full velvet, walk briskly out from the trees below me and start to circle and head uphill from me. I tried ranging him, but there wasn't a good opening for a shot. I thought if he continued his circular path that he would cross the ridge I was on, just 100-200 yards up from me. I radioed to my friend and told him what I'd seen and that I was going to circle lower to where I could get a better view of the surrounding terrain and to keep an eye on the ridge I'd been on only further up it. As I found the best view I could get, I double checked I had a round ready, and started ranging different points: a group of pines, an opening in some scrub pines, a big rock a ways up the hill; I wanted to be as ready as I could if he popped out anywhere along this hillside.

I waited for what was probably 3-4 minutes, and out comes the buck, right where I was hoping and praying he'd be at. The bad part was he seemed to know something was up and wasn't going to stop to give me a shot. He started heading up a little hill across a short draw from the hill I was on that he'd crested the ridge on and come down to. As he made his way up the other side, I was staring at him through my scope, anxiously waiting for a shot as he went in and out of small trees. Suddenly he stopped and looked downhill. I'm still unsure as I replay it in my mind, but I couldn't tell if he was looking at me or just in my direction, but I'm positive he knew something was in his turf that didn't belong. I didn't need any more of an invitation and sent the bullet on it's way. I quickly reloaded and watched him trot into some trees before I could get another shot off. Son of a #$%&@ !!!! I was sure I'd missed as he hadn't even looked hit as he trotted into the trees. Just as I was mentally beating myself for having expended all this effort, time, and money to get to this point and miss the opportunity of my first big game kill, I heard a little crash in the trees where he'd gone in at. My attitude quickly flipped to 'oh, maybe I'm not such a bad shot after all,' only to watch him come out of the other side of the trees. He was still side-hilling the same direction he'd been going when he went into the trees. I was fractions of a second from touching off another shot at him when he abruptly angled straight downhill. Before I could shoot, I lost him behind the tip of a tall pine, but I did manage to see something that immediately raised my spirits: his muzzle had been covered in bright red! Not a second after that thought had registered, I heard a much bigger crash than before. My heart probably skipped a beat or two at this point. I radioed to my friend what had just transpired in the probably 15-20 seconds from my shot to seeing his bloody muzzle. My buddy sounded pretty excited but just said 'I'll grab my pack and start making my way over to you, but don't take your eyes off of that group of trees, and keep your gun ready in case he isn't done.' That's exactly what I did for the roughly 30 minutes until he made it over to me. As luck would have it, the buck never came out of those trees, and as I was more and more sure he was down for good, the time seemed like an eternity. Here is a picture of where he was when I shot, from the exact spot I was sitting at and shot from:
LocationofbuckwhenIshot_zps06f77bf3.jpg

And here is the grove of trees he crashed into and never came out of (well he did leave those trees eventually, but on my pack :D)
Piledupbuck_zps1b71bdbe.jpg

When my friend finally crested ridge #1 (this had all transpired between ridges #1 and #2), I explained to him on the walki where I'd last seen the buck at. I watched him through my binos as he looked down into the trees with his binos, moving around a little to get a different vantage point. After a few seconds he called back to me and said 'I see a dead buck!' To say I was happy is an understatement. I was overjoyed. I scrambled over to where he was. Out of respect for me I later learned, my friend had waited for me before going right up to him and getting a real good look at him. When I first came into view of my buck, he was on his back with his feet up in the air piled up against a fallen tree, and had bloody foam coming out of his nose. It's a good thing that dead tree was there to stop him or he probably would've taken a much further tumble. The first thing I thought of when I saw the bloody foam was 'that looks like a watermelon slurpee; man does that sound good right now!' Turns out instead of missing him, I'd double-lunged him. Much better than the miss I assumed I'd made!

After we got him rolled over and I got my hands on his antlers for the first time and I sat there holding them in awe, I felt a supreme feeling of gratitude and respect for this animal wash over me. High country bucks are tough, tough animals and they live in a harsh and unforgiving environment. Somehow, I had managed to trespass there and harvest one of these high country monarchs. I now understood in a way I never could have before about how humbling it is to take such an awesome animal, a feeling that I'd read people refer to in different hunt reports on rokslide, but had not experienced personally until now.

Before we got to work boning him out, I gave my buddy a hug and thanked him for helping me fulfill what had become a dream to me since the thought of first hunting the high country had entered my mind about a year and a half ago when I contacted him out of the blue and he suggested I apply for this tag. We took several pictures and then got to work.

Here is a picture of the fruits of my/our labor, with lots of luck thrown in (orange removed for photos only):
DSCN4488_zps0e080f66.jpg

He was everything and more that I'd hoped for and been dreaming of for the last several months. For my first buck, he was a dream come true. I was happier than I could've imagined. Everything came together in the end and I was grateful beyond words for the friendship and help of my buddy who was there to share this experience with me.

On the hike out, once when we were doubled over our trekking poles taking a short breather, a quote popped into my mind that I first saw from Stid2677 in his report about his dall sheep hunt from this year: 'pain fades, but horns last forever.' The rest of the hike out, at the first sign of any discomfort, I would repeat that phrase to myself, and then look down at my shadow from the afternoon sun and see the antlers rising off of each of my shoulders and I would just grin. That was the sweetest pain I've felt in my life, and I can't wait to feel it again and again!
IMG_1747_zps5eb28abb.jpg

Last edited:

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome story and buck! I got my first buck this year too and there is nothing like that feeling of first wrapping your hands around those horns!