WTB Hiking Boots - Men's Size 9.5

bsheisey

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a new pair of boots that I would plan to wear for whitetail hunting in PA as well as on a future elk hunting trip. I've never purchased a pair of quality boots before, so I'm pretty open to suggestions and whatever you have to offer! I'm in the process of gathering a bunch of gear for elk hunting and my budget is pretty tight, so I'd definitely be interested in more affordable options. Here are a few specifications I'd prefer if possible:
  • Waterproof
  • Relatively flexible sole (GoHunt rating of 3?)
  • Uninsulated
Thanks for the help as I prepare for my first elk hunting adventure!

GusF16

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Crispi boots that are excellent but they are pricey. IMHO the Danner Pronghorn is the best boot you can buy for the $. Not sure what they’re priced at right now but Memorial Day is coming and there are typically some pretty good sales. Everyone I’ve put into a pair of those has loved them. They have uninsulated all the way up to 800g thinsulate.

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Crispi boots that are excellent but they are pricey. IMHO the Danner Pronghorn is the best boot you can buy for the $. Not sure what they’re priced at right now but Memorial Day is coming and there are typically some pretty good sales. Everyone I’ve put into a pair of those has loved them. They have uninsulated all the way up to 800g thinsulate.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Feare

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My experience with boots, bought the 600gr pronghorn or maybe they were the 800gr, was terrible boot in my opinion. I bought a pair of crispi 200gr Nevadas and I've used them anywhere between 70 fall elk to -5 mule deer hunts in Montana, at both extreme ends they worked but wasn't ideal, but between 50 to probably around 10 degrees I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocknry09

FNG
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey man - I know this isn't a discussion thread but was in your same situation a year ago.

DON'T CHEAP OUT ON BOOTS (or a pack). Those are probably your two most important nat pieces of gear you're going to be wearing the ENITRE trip. Hopefully you can find a good pair of used boots but I would go try some on or find some online that allow returns.

- I bought Hoka Kaha 2 GTX for $240 and they are super comfortable but were kinda falling apart by day 14. Didnt have much ankle support but treated me well. They did keep my feet dry and comfortable.​
- My brother had Danner Vitals about $200. Wore them 2 years ago no issues and then they failed on him this year and he ended up having to drive an hour into town to get new boots because his feet were so wet.​
- Our other buddy had Kenetek Mtn Extreme uninsulated (about $450). Used them for 3 season, no wet feet, no sore feet.​

It took me personal experience to realize the right boot for me. That being said am also cost cautious (cheap) though. I found a pair of Whites Lochsa originally $400 on sale for $300 on camofire.com. Awesome boot so far. They are comfortable, light weight, good ankle support and built extremely durable.

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've got a pair of Kenetrek MTN Extremes, 400g Thinsulate insulation, size 9.5M for sale here on Rokslide.

I'm from PA, went to Idaho a few years ago with cheap boots and my feet weren't the same until a month after we returned. Bought these boots then before going out next time...world of difference. Love them. Wear them for Whitetail hunting east cost PA, NY & MD as well. Just bought a pair of size 10, so don't need the 9.5 any more.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've got a pair of Kenetrek MTN Extremes, 400g Thinsulate insulation, size 9.5M for sale here on Rokslide.

I'm from PA, went to Idaho a few years ago with cheap boots and my feet weren't the same until a month after we returned. Bought these boots then before going out next time...world of difference. Love them. Wear them for Whitetail hunting east cost PA, NY & MD as well. Just bought a pair of size 10, so don't need the 9.5 any more.
Hunted in these for years' worth every penny. Nothing wrong with buying lightly used boots. I'd look into these.

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the feedback! I checked out your listing and it definitely seems like a good deal for the boots. One concern that I have is that my feet are pretty warm, so I'm typically in uninsulated boots into the 20's with a good pair of wool socks. 400g of insulation might deter me from using them throughout the whole whitetail season, and might cause a lot of sweating during strenuous hikes. I also don't know how I feel about a shaft that high, but I'm sure that is something I could get used to.

On another note, I live not too far away in Mount Joy, so I might have to send you a PM on your western hunting experiences!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also a whitetail hunter from Pa who goes west. I can relate.

Don’t overlook Schnee’s. I’ve ran the Timberline UI for 4 seasons between the East and West hunting. They are stiff enough to hand weight Linder the pack and flexible enough they aren’t miserable in the East. If you hunt from a saddle they are great. Watch the holiday sales and you pick them up reasonable. I would say they run .5 size small if you end up going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I checked out your listing and it definitely seems like a good deal for the boots. One concern that I have is that my feet are pretty warm, so I'm typically in uninsulated boots into the 20's with a good pair of wool socks. 400g of insulation might deter me from using them throughout the whole whitetail season, and might cause a lot of sweating during strenuous hikes. I also don't know how I feel about a shaft that high, but I'm sure that is something I could get used to.

On another note, I live not too far away in Mount Joy, so I might have to send you a PM on your western hunting experiences!
I was concerned with the height at first, but really comfortable & like it. Not sure how much the insulation really adds any more, but certainly could be an issue if your feet run hot. Mine run cold.

Feel free to PM me. I'll share what I can.