Hilleberg Tent Input

The Terra handles high winds really well and is incredibly comfortable for 1 person. In cold conditions, gear intensive, cold weather hunts. The Nammatj 3 GT, which I have also used extensively, would also be great for 2 people in the conditions listed above.

OP
The Allak looks like a great tent, but hard to justify the weight when the Kaitum 2GT offers ample storage for just an additional pound.

AKDoc

WKR
If you're looking for a backpacking tent, stop reading here...🤣
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That said, if you're looking for a bombproof tent for whatever Mother Nature throws your way day after day, then give very serious consideration to the Hilleberg Staika.

I have owned one for nearly ten years and have used it here in Alaska for 14-day remote drop hunts every year. It has never let me down year after year, and I've been in it for some super crazy Alaska wx...including a residual typhoon that hit the western coast of Alaska two years ago. I also have taken it to Kodiak.

The dome construction, duel entries and duel vestibules are very user friendly. Most importantly, the venting design to that tent is extremely well conceived and totally effective.
IMG_6598.jpegIMG_0730.JPG

Edit: It also works well as an attractant when calling Moose from camp...🤣
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 9.58.05 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
I had a kaitum for a season, and sold it because it was way too long. Finding a place long enough for it to be on a flat surface was sometimes challenging. Probably even harder with the extra gt vestibule.

Warmsy

WKR
I have a kaitum 2 gt. I usually use it alone, but sometimes the wife, two young kids and a dog join me.

I love it for winter camping and backpacking. 45 mph winds and 2" rain overnight? No problem! Ample space for gear, sorting stuff, can hang wet items on the line inside. Ventilation is easy to manage. I'm 6'2" and I can sit up comfortably on my sleeping pad. Reach out into the vestibule to make coffee without getting out of my sleeping bag. Absolutely love this tent! Can pitch with guy lines staked in 10 minutes in the rain.

It's heavy. It's about the size of a pickup truck. I think it's 17' long with guy lines staked. Sometimes that means it's hard to find a suitable spot to pitch the tent taut. After a storm it takes a while for all that wet material to dry out. Most of the time I don't need all that vestibule space.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking for a backpacking tent, stop reading here...🤣
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That said, if you're looking for a bombproof tent for whatever Mother Nature throws your way day after day, then give very serious consideration to the Hilleberg Staika.

I have owned one for nearly ten years and have used it here in Alaska for 14-day remote drop hunts every year. It has never let me down year after year, and I've been in it for some super crazy Alaska wx...including a residual typhoon that hit the western coast of Alaska two years ago. I also have taken it to Kodiak.

The dome construction, duel entries and duel vestibules are very user friendly. Most importantly, the venting design to that tent is extremely well conceived and totally effective.
View attachment 695747View attachment 695750

Edit: It also works well as an attractant when calling Moose from camp...🤣
View attachment 695748
I have been a Nallo fanboy for years, but that Staika might be my next tent! You mention the venting design being well conceived, I assume you don't have condensation problems?

AKDoc

WKR
I have been a Nallo fanboy for years, but that Staika might be my next tent! You mention the venting design being well conceived, I assume you don't have condensation problems?
Correct...no problems with condensation. Of course, condensation is a naturally occurring outcome of breathing in a tent, but the venting design of the Staika allows one to adequately and variably adjust for condensation and air-flow, even when it's raining outside. Thus...no condensation problems that I have ever experienced with that tent. BTW, it's still going strong after nearly ten years of use...I'll be in it this September!

On the other extreme...condensation in a tipi is another world...🤣

Edit: Added a photo of another remote location where I was truly relying on my Staika to keep me safely sheltered during some hellacious wind and rain storms...that image is one of the few clear days we had out of ten. BTW, I'm not complaining...I've been totally grateful for every adventure!

IMG_1225 (2).1 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Thank for the feedback everyone. Bring 6’5 somewhat limits my choices. Nakik and Allan look solid, but I’m afraid the length isn’t suitable for my height. Therefore, I think a vertical wall Hilleberg tent would be better suited for me like the Kaitum or Helagas. I will be most likely packing in for the majority of my hunts so Helagas currently looks more appealing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Allak looks like a great tent, but hard to justify the weight when the Kaitum 2GT offers ample storage for just an additional pound.
That’s the problem with the allak…it’s like 7-8lbs. I’ve got about 100 nights in mine at this point and have been in some heavy storms, it’s held up really well but it’s not a backpacking tent. It’s good for raft/boat based hunts. I guess it could be good if you were getting dropped off close to a camp that you were going to hunt out of.