Hodgdon longshot

Jhenn87

FNG
I recently got 3 1lb cans of the hodgdon longshot. I was hoping to use it for reloading my 45acp and 40 s&w rounds. But it looks like it’s mostly used for shotguns! Is it a good choice to use that powder or did i make a bad spend? Haha

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not ideal for the 45 auto but I have used it and it does work although it’s for more of a high performance load not so much a target load. I didn’t like the recoil impulse and it was dirty given the 45 is a lower pressure round. I use win 231, unique, and accurate #5 normally. I have no experience with it in the 40 s&w but I’m betting it would work fine for that with its burn rate. I used accurate #7 for most of my 40 s&w and they are close in burn rate on the chart.

OP
J

Jhenn87

FNG
It’s not ideal for the 45 auto but I have used it and it does work although it’s for more of a high performance load not so much a target load. I didn’t like the recoil impulse and it was dirty given the 45 is a lower pressure round. I use win 231, unique, and accurate #5 normally. I have no experience with it in the 40 s&w but I’m betting it would work fine for that with its burn rate. I used accurate #7 for most of my 40 s&w and they are close in burn rate on the chart
Thank you so much! That helps out a lot. I don’t want it to goto waste so i will have to try it in the 40s&w and see how it works when i get to that point. I’m still working on my reloading my rifle ammo

I have used it for 9MM loads. ALways used it for my 12 gauge crow loads. I have a couple thousand rounds loaded for crows with it. Great powder. I always bought it in 8 pound cans.

OP
J

Jhenn87

FNG
I have used it for 9MM loads. ALways used it for my 12 gauge crow loads. I have a couple thousand rounds loaded for crows with it. Great powder. I always bought it in 8 pound cans.
Ok thanks, i was talking to my dad for possibly using it for the 9mm rounds also.

Wrench

WKR
I use it for 40 and 9 heavy for caliber bullets at top velocity. Think of it as blue dot without the flash.

Wrench

WKR
Use with lead will depend on velocity. Keep lead under 1000 or so (in most barrels) and it plays well. I use it in my 10mm with hardcast lead to 1300+.

drmatara

FNG
Longshot can easily go over pressure. You have to be careful not to push too much loads.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a great Hangun powder for heavy for caliber loads. I use it in my .40, 10, 45 Colt, and .38 specials with great results. Brian Pierce (Handloading magazine) has some extensive load data for it Around the webs and in print.

As others have said, a little goes a long way

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 1lb of Longshot I havent started working loads up for yet but plan on using it for 10mm full power loads. It also looks to be a good powder for high velocity .40 S&W rounds. There are better powders for 45acp and 9mm but it'll work. I have been using W244 with good results in .40 S&W and 9mm.