Hoffman Hunter Boots thoughts

I was lucky enough to win a pair of Hoffman Hunter boots that were generously donated by Hoffman via this forum. I’ll update my thoughts on them here as I get a chance to try them out.

The boots showed up at my place tonight and seem eager to displace others that have partaken in my endless search for that “unicorn” of mountain hunting boots.
2fb7f6fe388b9ec4deb72e0ae371a75d.jpg

Initial thoughts after wearing them around the house for a bit:
-Fit feels great. Not sloppy huge volume like some crispis but with plenty of room for my toes.
-soles are nice and stiff but the combination of rocker and flex in the upper make them feel pretty good striding on the flat ground. Seem to be a little cushion still in the midsole which I’ve found to be lacking in some mountaineering boots and it beats my feet up.
-flexible but supportive upper
-they feel like they will have great traction climbing up or biting into a side hill
-I have kind of pointy heels that get torn up in lots of boots. These feel like they’ll be good on my heels but won’t know for sure without some miles in the hills
-I feel a bit of a pressure point on the front of my ankle at the main front to back flex point on the boot upper. I had a pair of lowa cevedale’s that had a similar pressure point that eventually tortured me a bit. Again, I can’t really tell for sure if it’ll be fine or not without some miles.

Overall they seem like a nice pair of boots that are similar in function and feel to a zamberlan 980 (my go to) and kennetrek mountain extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Michael54

WKR
I got my pair on monday. Been wearing them around the house the past 2 days to see how they feel.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I was considering buying another pair of Danner Pronghorns in 800 gram. About the same money. But they are not rebuildable. Once worn out you are done. The Hoffmans are also a small company. I like that. I was not going to drop 500.00 on insulated mountain hunting boots either. If I were guiding I would- every day in the back country for months.

Michael54

WKR
I was considering buying another pair of Danner Pronghorns in 800 gram. About the same money. But they are not rebuildable. Once worn out you are done. The Hoffmans are also a small company. I like that. I was not going to drop 500.00 on insulated mountain hunting boots either. If I were guiding I would- every day in the back country for months.
My issues with danner product quality over the past few years has kinda lead me to the point of looking for better boots. I wish i knew about the gore tex warranty deal and kept my reciepts. The two pair of pronghorns i pitched would have paid for my hoffmans.

OP
wind gypsy

I don't think they are very close to pronghorns in cost or function/quality. If you are never wearing out a pair of pronghorns or in situations that would benefit from more support, these probably aren't the boots for you.

Like many folks in the midwest, I used to think pronghorns were the cat's ass. Really they are just a boot with leather and gore tex that feel great on your feet if your feet aren't doing any real work. I enjoy seeing the lightbulb click when some of my midwestern buddies first experience a good pair of hiking or mountain boots.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say women’s shoes are WAY more expensive than any hunting boots....in my world anyway.

thanks for a good review. 👍

OP
wind gypsy
How would you rate the stiffness compared to the KENETREK ME? (more/less stiff)

I’ve never owned mountain extremes but have tried em on a couple times. Going off of memory, I’d say they are pretty comparable in stiffness. I wouldn’t be surprised if these are made by the same company in Italy. I don’t know anyone else that uses nylon midsoles, construction looks very similar, and they have a somewhat similar feel from what I can remember.

McCrackin

FNG
Speaking of closets, between my motorcycle boots, cowboy boots, ski boots, snowboard boots and hunting boots... I don't wanna know what I've spent! lol

OP
wind gypsy
I didn’t give em any break in and took them on their first elk hunt yesterday. Parked the truck at 7600 and topped out around 9600 with plenty of dropping and re-climbing thrown in. Dry rockslides to 18” of snow and 7+ miles. My feet came out feeling surprisingly well, not sure I’ve had a day like that where my feet felt better at the end to be honest.

Needed to be tightened just right to avoid some pressure points on the ankles but like I said, zero break in.

More detailed feedback to come after season is over.

OP
wind gypsy
Few more days with them, not feeling the pressure points anymore. My go to zamberlan 980s have been staying in the truck and the Hoffman’s have been plowing through knee deep powder and started hauling out elk today😁 My feet feel great.

Michael54

WKR
Few more days with them, not feeling the pressure points anymore. My go to zamberlan 980s have been staying in the truck and the Hoffman’s have been plowing through knee deep powder and started hauling out elk today😁 My feet feel great.
Do you use custom insoles at all? Im kinda looking forward to move the arch closer to the ball of my foot in comparison to the insole that came with my hunters

OP
wind gypsy
Do you use custom insoles at all? Im kinda looking forward to move the arch closer to the ball of my foot in comparison to the insole that came with my hunters

I use aftermarket insoles in all my boots, except these. I didn’t have any issues with arch location. I have pretty flat feet and these have more than enough arch support as they came, if anything they could have less.

I ended up using these boots all but one day during my late season MT elk hunt over my zamberlan 980s. The zamberlans weak point is a tight toe box and with temps from zero to the low 20’s I appreciated the extra space in the Hoffmans for thicker socks. They also have a deeper tread than the zamberlans which was nice in the snow. I’d give a slight edge to zamberlan ankle support but it was very close. It was too cold to give them a good waterproofing test but I did notice the leather in my buddies crispis became saturated while the Hoffman’s did not. His crispis also had some miles on them before this hunt which plays a part.

For late season public land elk and deer hunts like this, these Hoffmans are the first pick from my boot lineup. With all the boots I’ve tried to get to where I am, I think that is pretty good praise.

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve never owned mountain extremes but have tried em on a couple times. Going off of memory, I’d say they are pretty comparable in stiffness. I wouldn’t be surprised if these are made by the same company in Italy. I don’t know anyone else that uses nylon midsoles, construction looks very similar, and they have a somewhat similar feel from what I can remember.
These are made by a different company. The company has 55 years of hunting boot manufacturing experience and does an outstanding job. Another nice thing is they are a 3rd generation family like ours.....something I really appreciate.

Michael54

WKR
These are made by a different company. The company has 55 years of hunting boot manufacturing experience and does an outstanding job. Another nice thing is they are a 3rd generation family like ours.....something I really appreciate.
Just cleaned my hunters up and got them treated for the upcoming season. If these boots hold up as well for this season as they did last season i'll honestly believe i can wear the tread out of the boot before the boot gives out.