Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

Mark, was the read in the room that if they put in the 300 tag amendment, the locals would potentially shelve another run at a FSB closure? Some BOG members during discussions sounded like locals just wanted a limit and that would be enough to make them happy.

Based on the 300 tags, past success rates, and past harvest numbers; it sure seems like airplane traffic will remain about the same, which was always the stated big concern.

FSB meets early April. Locals were not happy nonres stayed open. They got restricted to 15 caribou/year, only one may be a cow.

not sure if it would be a draw or a registration style hunt with a 300 quota? If it went to a draw i wonder how many non res (not non local) tags would be allocated for outta staters. I feel like a true draw would be the only way to go.

Mark, was the read in the room that if they put in the 300 tag amendment, the locals would potentially shelve another run at a FSB closure? Some BOG members during discussions sounded like locals just wanted a limit and that would be enough to make them happy.

Based on the 300 tags, past success rates, and past harvest numbers; it sure seems like airplane traffic will remain about the same, which was always the stated big concern.
Thanks Will for highlighting this. It will be a draw hunt open equally to all nonres hunters, guided and unguided. Will start in 2025. Has no effect on the 2024 hunt. Even if all 300 permits are issued, it will still lead to a decrease in nonres harvests. And the Dept. has EO authority to close the nonres draw hunt down if the herd continues to decline.

The board listened to the locals, and this was done to take some of the angst away from not closing all nonres hunting completely, and get more buy-in to the resident restrictions.

If anyone listened to the meeting, you heard member Lorring continually talk about the aircraft traffic up north that was primarily related to oilfield and research efforts, NPS and BLM, all the helos and fixed wing not related to hunting activities. Those aren't being curtailed.

However, this will cut down on nonres hunter/transporter aircraft, cuz not all draw permit winners will hunt their permit and the overall # of nonres hunters in the field will decrease with the draw hunt.

TX338

FNG
Thanks to all who are contributing in this thread. I’m another NR booked in Sept, trying to make heads or tails of status after last night.

As of now for Fall of ‘24, is unit 23 open, and 26A closed? Asking about today, before potential Fed changes this spring.

TodOz

FNG
No change to Fall 2024 nonres hunts. Unit 23 and 26A still open.

Appreciate everyone contributing here. I’ve been booked for two years with Golden Eagle. Hoping to finally go this year and trying to understand where things stand and what could still happen this year. Any opinion on what happens when the subsistence board meets in April? Does it require advance effort to start a new measure to close the area or can they simply meet in April and vote to close it again? Thanks again for all the info!

Edit: since the last closure measure had a name (WSA21-01), I assume there was some kind of process involved to get the measure to a vote. That likely means there is some minimum timeline to get a measure up for a vote. Hopefully someone familiar with the process can clarify. I’ll also poke around to see what I can find out. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
not sure if it would be a draw or a registration style hunt with a 300 quota? If it went to a draw i wonder how many non res (not non local) tags would be allocated for outta staters. I feel like a true draw would be the only way to go.
They humored a registration with a 300 quota, but voted against it. That would’ve been ideal for guys planning trips and transporters IMO, but would’ve required the transporters and guides to sit down and work out their numbers so all the late season hunters don’t show up to town and the season is closed. It seems the board went the draw route for a few reasons, but one big one is that if a hunter shows up, they know they can hunt and don’t have to be rushed in the field worrying about a potential closure. Folks will still have results in February with 6-7 months to plan their hunt.

Edit: since you asked about R/NR quota. The draw is only NR. R is still astronomical to appease local subsistence users. Modified to 15 per year, only one may be a cow (RC026). And based off Mark’s in-the-room observations, they were mad because that was too restrictive…….

Of course one board member tried to peel off 50/300 for hunters under a guide contract, that was voted down. They also shut down a percentage cut for guide contract hunters.

IMG_7857.png
The 300 is more than the 10 year annual hunter average of about 250. That average has been brought up by years of 400+ hunters the last few years. A big problem with the draw is that people love to apply for tags just because they exist. ADFG stated in their testimony that typically average NR participation for draw tag winners is about 50%. So it’s likely annual hunters will be under 200 and obviously that will drop annual harvest.

It stinks, but I really think one of the big picture goals here was that by putting a cap on NR hunters, the locals would elect to not pursue another FSB land closure. If I were a NR hunter, I’d rather have to wait another year or two to hunt without federal land restrictions than just hunting on a harvest ticket only good for state lands.

Last edited:
It stinks, but I really think one of the big picture goals here was that by putting a cap on NR hunters, the locals would elect to not pursue another FSB land closure. If I were a NR hunter, I’d rather have to wait another year or two to hunt without federal land restrictions than just hunting on a harvest ticket only good for state lands.
Regarding the above, WSA 21-01 that closed portions of Unit 23 & 26A expires 9/30/24. There are current WSAs from the WACH Working Group and the NW Arctic RAC asking the FSB for the same thing they asked the Board of Game (BOG), a reduction in bag limit for residents of 4 caribou per year on fed lands, only one of which may be a cow, and to extend the fed closure to non-fed-qualified users in unit 23.

You can find all the current WSAs for the NW and Arctic regions in this pdf, WSA 24-28 to 24-32: https://www.doi.gov/index.php/media...reduced-file-size-part-ii-wp24-19-wp24-38-pdf

The board of game was definitely considering how their actions would affect the FSB proposals. There was a helluva lot of opposition from the north slope region and Anaktuvuk Pass and I have doubts that the FSB would pass the resident bag limit restrictions as written. But the BOG actions did offer the FSB an option to do similar on the resident bag limit and move it up to 15 per year, one cow, and leave out the eastern portion of Unit 26A that was the issue for the north slope and AP folks.

But on the extension of the closure to NFQU in Unit 23, I would wager that will pass the FSB in April, even though the BOG put all nonres on draw permits in Unit 23. We'll see.

I think most don't really recognize how large a sacrifce it was for the NW Arctic people to ask to lower their own bag limit, and even though the BOG upped it to 15 caribou, one cow, that is still a huge sacrifice for them. And they view that as a sort of "If we do this, then nonres hunting needs to close," thing. I get and respect that. And I thank them greatly for offering to put in regulation a reduction in their own bag limit out of conservation concerns that we all share.

is it a non resident of alaska or non resident of the local area? Thats what i was wondering if it went to a draw. Would it be 300 tags for non locals which some would go to Residents of alaska and some to non residents of alaska and how would they allocate those tags to the Non local hunters.

is it a non resident of alaska or non resident of the local area? Thats what i was wondering if it went to a draw. Would it be 300 tags for non locals which some would go to Residents of alaska and some to non residents of alaska and how would they allocate those tags to the Non local hunters.
It is a non-resident as we all understand it, someone who doesn't live in Alaska. Does not affect resident Alaskans.

TodOz

FNG
I thought wsa21-01 was a 2 year closure for 2022 and 2023?

Edit: just read it. August 2022 through September 2024. I heard it called a 2 year closure but they effectively closed 3 seasons with those dates.

Last edited:

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
I thought wsa21-01 was a 2 year closure for 2022 and 2023?

Edit: just read it. August 2022 through September 2024. I heard it called a 2 year closure but they effectively closed 3 seasons with those dates.

Pretty sure your original thought was correct in that the closure only affected Caribou season during 2022 and 2023. The language in the order references a closure of Aug 1-Sep 30 during the 22-23 and 23-24 regulatory years. The regulatory year runs from July 1 to June 30. In other words, the last year of the closure from 8/1-9/30 is in regulatory year 23-24 that ends in June of 2024. All that said, the closure that was in place for 2023 will have to be re-enacted for it to affect the 2024 hunting season.

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding the above, WSA 21-01 that closed portions of Unit 23 & 26A expires 9/30/24. There are current WSAs from the WACH Working Group and the NW Arctic RAC asking the FSB for the same thing they asked the Board of Game (BOG), a reduction in bag limit for residents of 4 caribou per year on fed lands, only one of which may be a cow, and to extend the fed closure to non-fed-qualified users in unit 23.

You can find all the current WSAs for the NW and Arctic regions in this pdf, WSA 24-28 to 24-32: https://www.doi.gov/index.php/media...reduced-file-size-part-ii-wp24-19-wp24-38-pdf

The board of game was definitely considering how their actions would affect the FSB proposals. There was a helluva lot of opposition from the north slope region and Anaktuvuk Pass and I have doubts that the FSB would pass the resident bag limit restrictions as written. But the BOG actions did offer the FSB an option to do similar on the resident bag limit and move it up to 15 per year, one cow, and leave out the eastern portion of Unit 26A that was the issue for the north slope and AP folks.

But on the extension of the closure to NFQU in Unit 23, I would wager that will pass the FSB in April, even though the BOG put all nonres on draw permits in Unit 23. We'll see.

I think most don't really recognize how large a sacrifce it was for the NW Arctic people to ask to lower their own bag limit, and even though the BOG upped it to 15 caribou, one cow, that is still a huge sacrifice for them. And they view that as a sort of "If we do this, then nonres hunting needs to close," thing. I get and respect that. And I thank them greatly for offering to put in regulation a reduction in their own bag limit out of conservation concerns that we all share.
Mark, I think your first sentence is intended to read WSA21-01 expires 9/30/23, correct?

Zig4648

FNG
WSA 21-01 Expires 9/30/24 caribou season continues beyond 9/30/24 dates. If you have a hunt for example out of kotzebue. No transporter flies past 9/15. So you will not be hunt august/september 2024. That’s the way I understand the closure

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
I see it in the link you sent, but now I am confused. What was it that was passed in March/April 2022? And if it was a 2 year closure that started in 2022, why would 2024 not be open?
The AK regulatory year starts July 1 and ends June 30. The press release states closures are August 1 through September 30 for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 regulatory years.

So regulatory year 22/23 is fall 2022. Regulatory year 23/24 is fall 2023. This coming fall is part of the 24/25 regulatory year.

In another layer of confusion what may be messing with some, if you go to the list of WSAs, its states this particular WSA expires 9/30/2024 and states “portions of Unit 23 and 26A closed to caribou hunting by non-federally qualified users during August and September through 2024.” That is not true based off the actual WSA and is likely just what some DOI intern in DC typed in based off their understanding.

Last edited:

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
The AK regulatory year starts July 1 and ends June 30. The press release states closures are August 1 through September 30 for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 regulatory years.

So regulatory year 22/23 is fall 2022. Regulatory year 23/24 is fall 2023. This coming fall is part of the 24/25 regulatory year.

In another layer of confusion what may be messing with some, if you go to the list of WSAs, its states this particular WSA expires 9/30/2024 and states “portions of Unit 23 and 26A closed to caribou hunting by non-federally qualified users during August and September through 2024.” That is not true based off the actual WSA and is likely just what some DOI intern in DC typed in based off their understanding.

This is exactly what I thought. Thank you.