Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

Thanks, Mykolaivka887. Sorry, Larry, I see you posted that also. I'm new to this alaska thing and the forum so bear with me while I try to learn.

Wapiti151

WKR
Has anyone heard from golden eagle yet? We have trip planned this year and still waiting for a reply.
We have a trip scheduled for 8/31-9/8 with them this year and am anxiously awaiting a reply to my email. If I don’t hear anything by Monday I am going to call. Trying to be patient because I know a lot of people are reaching out, but would like some info on a plan. Not sure if they traditionally use these closed areas for drop ins? Anybody on here hunted with GE and know if they dropped you into the closed area in past years?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the WSA21-01 decision language it was stated that the Nigu River is GMU 26A was included. This has confused many people, but that river is not completely affected.

Take a look at this map and note the closed area of the Nigu is ONLY within this upper corridor where it rests within the Park/Preserve boundary. The line where the Nigu is OPEN to hunt is where the green shading meets the purple shading. Anything within the purple shading is closed, everything else downstream of the green shading is open.

brooks range map (nigu).jpg

In the WSA21-01 decision language it was stated that the Nigu River is GMU 26A was included. This has confused many people, but that river is not completely affected.

Take a look at this map and note the closed area of the Nigu is ONLY within this upper corridor where it rests within the Park/Preserve boundary. The line where the Nigu is OPEN to hunt is where the green shading meets the purple shading. Anything within the purple shading is closed, everything else downstream of the green shading is open.

View attachment 399900

Hey Larry, have you ever hunted the Nigu? I flew into a lake, about a mile south of the Nigu, back in 2004, and spent two weeks experiencing the best/most remote caribou hunting of my life. The lake was at the southern part of that purple strip area that’s marked on that map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
many times. I'm happy they only they only closed the Park section, since few ever use that portion for hunting anyways.

Yeah i've hiked from GMU 23 into the Nigu (GMU26A) from a lake many miles off river. I love that float but it's spendy.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not speaking for organizations here, but SCI and RHAK are both still involved with this closure even if you're not hearing anything on here. It'll be a behind the scenes pressure for a couple months. I wouldn't expect reversals in the decision but everyone is trying to react appropriately for those affected by this WSA.

I'm not speaking for organizations here, but SCI and RHAK are both still involved with this closure even if you're not hearing anything on here. It'll be a behind the scenes pressure for a couple months. I wouldn't expect reversals in the decision but everyone is trying to react appropriately for those affected by this WSA.

I would assume that this years decision is final and that if there is any reversal it would be for next year

CJC talked to Jarred yesterday. Essentially said he hasn’t reached out to anyone yet bc there is a meeting with AF&G this coming week, after that meeting he will be emailing and calling people.

Did you happen to catch what day that meeting was to take place?

ALSavage7

FNG

I lived in Alaska for 17yrs. It's an old article but this was a huge stir-up in the hunting community. Makes you scratch your head a little when it comes to the subsistence numbers game.

I testified for RHAK yesterday at the FSB meeting, which ends today, and respectfully expressed our concerns about public participation in the WSA proceess, insulation of the FSB from the public, and the need for a shared sacrifice among local FQ users as called for in the WACH WG mgmt plan on the taking of cows under "preservative" mgmt, which we are now in with the herd below 200K animals.

The annual public meeting (which is going on now via teleconference) is a good way to express your opinion, every morning the public is allowed to weigh in on non-agenda items, speak to whatever issues you want (respectfully).

Edit: forgot to add, here is the link to the current FSB meeting proposals that have been addressed so far: https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/board

I testified for RHAK yesterday at the FSB meeting, which ends today, and respectfully expressed our concerns about public participation in the WSA proceess, insulation of the FSB from the public, and the need for a shared sacrifice among local FQ users as called for in the WACH WG mgmt plan on the taking of cows under "preservative" mgmt, which we are now in with the herd below 200K animals.

The annual public meeting (which is going on now via teleconference) is a good way to express your opinion, every morning the public is allowed to weigh in on non-agenda items, speak to whatever issues you want (respectfully).

Edit: forgot to add, here is the link to the current FSB meeting proposals that have been addressed so far: https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/board

Unfortunately, even if they close the cow season cows will still be killed and just quartered in the field. However, I agree it should be a shared sacrifice and will call in this week.

tbenusa

FNG
Has anyone heard from GEO yet? I have two emails out and still have not received any response. We are scheduled with them for late September. I respect that they are busy and have big decision to work through, but no correspondence at all is a little disappointing. Even if it were just... "hold tight, here's what we're trying to figure out, you'll hear from us in three weeks."

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I called him to check for cancellations and to see if I could step in to one of those slots. He said that he was waiting on a meeting the state has planned on the 18th (today) before he calls anyone back. If I can offer any peace of mind it would be to continue to be patient this week and expect to call him back later this week or next.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Now close your eyes and imagine the Dept of Interior wakes up one day and notices that Lands classified as "WILDLIFE REFUGE" are not actually a "REFUGE" for Wildlife.

Sometimes it is prudent to let a sleeping bear sleep. America has a serious disease, commonly called "Wokeness". When you look at all the damage to the foundation of America, this "Wokeness" movement has wrought, is it that hard to visualize how swiftly "Wokeness" could be turned against the hunting community.....???

It is one thing to be pissed-off at government decisions, but reacting foolishly can make it worse. The Federal Government has for decades been harvesting States Rights........which is easy, when they can print money, and States can't, making them dependent on Federal money flows.

My point is choose your battles wisely.
Hunters should be prepared for a likely future, where-in The Federal Subsistence, is the least of your problems. Yesterdays court ruling, I suspect will slowly become the foundation for "ALL" Federal Lands throughout 50 States. It will take a few years......but the "Writing is on the Wall".
The decision is the latest in a legal battle dating back to 2016, when then-President Barack Obama imposed a set of regulations for the federally managed Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. The so-called “Kenai Rule” placed restrictions on hunting and trapping in the 2-million-acre refuge, including limits to brown-bear baiting and hunting in the Skilak Wildlife Recreation Area.Soon after the rule passed, hunting advocacy group Safari Club International and the state of Alaska sued the federal government, arguing they overstepped their authority. They said the rule that first established the refuge, the 1980 Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act, gives the state the ultimate authority to regulate hunting on its federal lands.A district court judge disagreed and ruled in:favor of the federal government:and the original Kenai Rule in 2020. Soon after, Safari Club and the state:appealed.Today, a judge with the Ninth Circuit court — the federal court of appeals for Alaska and several other states — upheld that original decision. Judge Ronald Gould agreed that the federal government has power over Alaska’s public lands, even if ANILCA gives the state responsibility for its wildlife. And when state and federal regulations compete, the judge said, the federal regulations prevail.“Not only do the cited legal principles and laws tell us that federal law has primacy over federal lands, but also common sense tells us the same,” Gould wrote. “The federal government, and not a single state, has control over federal lands which benefit the entire country.

RK08

FNG
2022 hunters, any general updates from the transporters to share with the group?