Holographic Sight & Astigmatism

CiK01

WKR
AR related optic. I wear glasses for a 2+'ish vision correction. I have an EOTech holographic sight. Image and red dot is clean and crisp by itself. I add a 3x or 5x EOTech magnifier to it and I get a comma-like dot distortion. it makes it very hard to tell where the dot starts the comma starts. Moving the magnifier or changing the brightness on the dot isn't helping.

First question:
Will this getting any better with a different magnifier or do I just have an astigmatism that only shows up under magnification?

Second question:
What alternative sight option should I look at for an AR-like platform where I want 1X for up close and 5X for a little help with distance?

Thanks!

I have an astigmatism and all red dots are starburted to my eyes.
Didn't realize this until I picked up a friend's AR with an EOtech thinking it was going to be better than my cheap sig Romeo and vortex sparc, It was startburst as well.
His did have a magnifier and it got a little less fuzzy of a dot but not perfect for me.

Recently purchased a primary arms 3x micro prism. It's an illuminated itched reticle. So much better and more crisp.

I would definitely take a look into them.

rcook10

WKR
Holos and dots are generally terrible for astigmatism, i cannot stand them with or without magnification. A prism like an acog or any cheaper derivative helps a lot. I’d look hard at a 3x30 acog for a compact light sighting option that works well close and far or a higher mag acog/prism with a co mounted red dot for up close since having a little bloom at close range wont matter that much. You could also do a LPVO.

bnsafe

WKR
Yep, agree with above. I cant really see a red dot of any kind except for a massive snow flake appearance. My lpvo fixes that for the most part.

Fatcamp

WKR

I have horrible astigmatism and this sight is great.