Holster for Ruger mk IV?

Macintosh

WKR
Everyone and their uncle has a ruger .22 semiauto pistol. So Im surprised how few options there are for holsters. Im looking for a leather holster for a mk iv target, iron sights/ 5.5”. I’ve found a couple options but nothing that’s seemed an obvious choice, wondering what other folks use for general outdoor carry for squirrels/rabbits, running a trapline or the like? How do you like yours?

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got an older leather belt holster with thumb snap for my MK I. Darned thing fits like a glove but is stamped S&W.
*Shrugs*
Dunno.

Tossed a new 22/45 Lite in lay-a-way recently when the local pawn shop had one for a cant-pass-it-up price. As soon as the can comes out of ATF jail I'll start looking for a kydex holster for it.
Got tired last year of watching squirrels eat out of the Bear bait barrel. This year the squirrels are gonna die... very quietly! Lol.

Currently on the look out for a quality leather belt holster for both. Something other than just a simple belt loop that lets the damned thing flop around with every step.

If ya find something please post a link to it.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Looks like triple k makes the Ruger-branded ones, they have a holster with a spare mag carrier, one with a big sight groove, and a thumb-break style that looks pretty fitted but leaves the trigger totally exposed—I know some folks dont care but Id prefer the trigger enclosed when holstered. Desantis has a higher-ride woodsman style. Company called bluestone has a straight hanging one like the triple k’s as well. Other than that all Ive found is kydex. I often wear mine with a pack and depending I’ll slide it to my 10:30 for kind of a cross draw position that I find works well for hiking, so a lower, straighter hang is ok with me, I just dont care for the spare mag carriers everything seems to have.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR

I was looking for a leather holster for my 22/45 lite that would work with my fast fire lll and suppressor when it gets approved and this was all I could find.
Do you or does anyone have a sense of how a holster like this works if you DON’T have an optic on it? Between putting a trigger in it, and having an ambidextrous safety, I like the idea of making sure trigger and safety are completely covered from contact with any brush, etc. while stomping around in the woods with it. This linked holster ^^ actually looks like one of the best options Ive seen in that regard.

This also looks like an option:

Last edited:

avgjoe

FNG
Do you or does anyone have a sense of how a holster like this works if you DON’T have an optic on it? Between putting a trigger in it, and having an ambidextrous safety, I like the idea of making sure trigger and safety are completely covered from contact with any brush, etc. while stomping around in the woods with it. This linked holster ^^ actually looks like one of the best options Ive seen in that regard.

This also looks like an option:
Keep in mind the Sideslinger is open on the end depending on what you prefer. I have a mk ii target 6 7/8” I tried in it also. It does still work fine with iron sights but the barrel sticks out 1/2” below the holster. If I was not using it suppressed I would look at a leather holster made to the exact model/barrel length that had a closed end similar to the one you posted.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
I dont mind an open end, its less likely to hold water/snow, twigs, etc. More wondering about fit and security if wearing it in pretty thick brush.

Trial153

WKR
I have a mark IV lite with a red dot sight on it and I have yet to see a holster I like

I carry a couple of different ruger 22s weekly, on the trapline with lots of horseback and ATV use. I’ve gone from an El Paso saddlery tanker to a simply rugged pancake/chest holster. The tanker is super easy on and off but I like how the simply rugged fits better and can go to a belt holster in different positions for more carry options.

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
I put mine in a chest pouch (Hill People Gear) There are a lot of different options available. Couldn't find a holster I liked. This keeps it secured it's still relatively fast to access and it gives me options to carry other things like keys extra ammo etc.