Home Bow Shop

D

david long

Matt.....very impressive setup! Glad to see you found the site!

OP
M

MBurrows

FNG
very nice home shop. I just built an ez-press style and I love it.

I'm considering making one like this as well. I looked at a ton of designs last night and got some ideas of what I wanted. This style or the x-press is what I'll go with.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice setup Matt!! I'm building a house right now and have a sweet 250 sq. foot shop in the back of my garage. Can't wait to fully equip the bat-cave with all the proper bow necessities. Your shop is good inspiration - thanks for sharing!

Coop

Pond

FNG
I too am impressed with your home shop. I've been looking at doing something like this for a couple years now. I just drew up some plans similar to your set up. Is there anything you would have done different?? Down the road I might put in a bow press and bow vice thing that holds your bow by the stab (that might come sooner).

OP
M

MBurrows

FNG
Thanks guys! These are easy to build if you have some basic tools and skills. Here are some photos of them when completed. The one thing that I could have done differently to save money and weight (not that it matters) is to use a 2x4 instead of a 2x6 around the base of the top platform. The only reason I used a 2x6 was because I was planning on using the front of the 8 ft bench as a draw board and wanted a little more surface area. Also if you cover the tops of the benches with an indoor/outdoor carpet you can use 1/2" OSB and I used 3/4" plywood as I wanted to be able to screw into it potentially in the future but probably won't so it was overkill. Below is some info I put together on these when I was on the BowCast team and it was on my blog.

Bench #1

8' bench, 32"deep, 38" high, and 24" back off of deck.

Bench #2

4' bench, 32"deep, 38" high, and 24" back off of deck.

List of Materials

• 2 sheets of plywood-Use 1/2" or thicker. 1/2" is strong enough but if you want overkill use 3/4 sub floor or 5/8 to 3/4 plywood. Rip each sheet into three pieces 32" wide.
  • I used 2x6 for the front edges but I would recomend using 2x4 as this is enough and cheaper. I only used a 2x6 as I am going to put a draw board on the front. I would get ~16 2x4s @ 8' in length for the frame.
  • 1 sheet of peg board ripped down to 24" so that you have two pieces 24" x8'
  • 1 2x2 and 1 2x6 To finish out the top of the benches.

• I bought two 24" lights at WalMart for ~$9 each to mount under this finished top. These are the cheapest I could find and they work great.
Steps

• Build the frame first. I used an impact driver screw gun and if you don't have one then consider predrilling your holes so that the end of the boards don't split out. The frame should be 32"x 8' and 32" x 48". Build two frames for each bench as one will be for the bench top and one for the shelf. You can make in whatever width you want but not more than 32" if you are ripping each sheet into three even pieces.
  • After the frames are build cut the front legs to the height you want the bench. I would suggest 36" to 40". Then cut the back legs making sure that you just add 24" to whatever you cut the front ones at. The back legs will run all the way up through the plywood and the front will be flush with the top of the frame and then covered with the plywood top.
  • Screw the front legs in flushing the top of the 2x4 with the 2x4 frame. Then screw in the back legs making sure that the deck is level, work on a level surface. Next take the second frame and slide it up the legs to the desired height. I made mine 17" off the ground so I can slide my hunting totes under the shelf.
  • Cut cross supports for frame and attach as the plywood will sit on these and the edge of the frame. Cut out holes in the plywood for the legs and screw down to frame.
  • Attach the back peg board to the back of the legs running through the top of the table. Use the 2x6 and 2x2 or 2x4 material to trim out the top or leave unfinished. I would run an board at the bottom and top to help support the peg board.

OP
M

MBurrows

FNG
Nice shop and nice bull..trying to figure out which is more impressive.

These bulls are in my house now. :) The smaller one on the left was my first bull with a bow and the large one was my second.

Pond

FNG
Well I couldn't wait after I posted and went out and bought the materials and built a 8' bench in a few hours before bed. I designed mine a little different so I had overhead storage area to put my bow cases and targets. I was going to make my table tops 36 inches deep then thought that would be way to far to reach for stuff on the peg board and made them 24" deep. Now I wished they were a tad deeper.... When I get the finishing touches on it I snap a photo.