Homegrown Lifting Bumper Plates?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was in Scheels the other day and just happened to glance at the price of lifting plates. I just about fell over. I cannot believe what they want for simple steel plates these days. It's crazy. It's as if everyone has lost their minds since Covid started in 2020.

Will_m

WKR
With shipping on a 190 set it worked out to 1.50 a pound for me.

This seems way too good to be true. Regular plates at the store are higher than that.

Somebody test this so I can place an order.

OP
Rusty Shackelford
With shipping on a 190 set it worked out to 1.50 a pound for me.

This seems way too good to be true. Regular plates at the store are higher than that.

Somebody test this so I can place an order.
My plates are being delivered today. I’ll let you know how they look.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shopping around and $1/lb is about typical for lower end bumper plates currently. CAP has some "budget" plates on Amazon for even less and include delivery. And Everday Essential from Walmart is about $1/lb. BUT, Homegrown is at least made in USA.

From the reviews not personal experience, because they are pretty much all rubber and not rubber around steel they are a lot thicker. So if you are a power lifter and need to put lots of plates on a bar that's a problem. If you are a regular guy they seem to work good for home gyms.

LostArra

WKR
Those look identical to my Hi Temp 45# bumpers (made in Alabama) which list for twice that price. I found mine locally on Craigslist for just under $1/lb. This was during the covid imprisonment when the market was insane for home gym equipment.

Assuming their weights are close to listed or at least plate to plate, I bet they work great. If you aren't tossing a loaded bar from overhead in CF mode what could be wrong??

(Hi Temp 45's are slightly smaller diameter, 445mm, which is not a problem for me since I use them with Strength Co and York iron. The Homegrown look to be the standard 450).

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the plates.

Last edited:
OP
Rusty Shackelford
Well they’re heavy. In a good way.

Ordered a 190lb set plus 2.5# change plates to add to my collection of other branded urethane bumpers. Ordered on Saturday delivered on Thursday. The plates look good, they’re a standard crumb rubber bumper, wider than steel or urethane. The plates had a bit of slippery reside from manufacturing but I wiped them down with a soapy rag and they’re fine. I think most brands post a tolerance of +/- 5% on rubber bumpers, I weighed each of these and they’re all spot on or dang close (could be my scale too.) I weighed the 10s and 15s together.

They’re color coded by weight with specs in the rubber, and look nice. I think these are great, and will fit my needs nicely. I do a lot of Olympic lifts but don’t drop my weights from higher than my knees. These are advertised for indoor or outdoor use, and I will sometimes work out on my driveway. Time will tell if they hold up to use. I was super glad to find these based on price and country of origin. Let me know if you have questions.

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1460.jpeg
    IMG_1460.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1459.jpeg
    IMG_1459.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg