Homemade Backcountry Boot Dryer

Boot dryer blowing air only (no heat), but runs at about 1.5W (.3A, 5V) on a USB so can run off a battery pack or other charging device. Added an optional online switch.

Saw similar online for $90 and figured I could make my own simply enough. About an hour in CAD, 3d printer, $15 buying some fans and a switch on Amazon and 10 minutes splicing wires. Fun project to play, not sure how useful.

Attachments

• 20240108_183447.jpg
    20240108_183447.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 20240108_183300.jpg
    20240108_183300.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 224

Clarktar

WKR
This would be useful on my boat!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
C
So tried to attach but the file types are not allowed. Can reach out to me privately and see about sending potentially. I have no issue sharing the files, not something I'm trying to monetize or take sales from any available products, just something to play with.

Last edited:

WKR
So tried to attach but the file types are not allowed. Can reach out to me privately and see about sending potentially. I have no issue sharing the files, not something I'm trying to monetize or take sales from any available products, just something to play with.
You could upload it to cults or thingaverse and post a link in the Fun With 3D Printers thread. It's fun to get download notifications for something you've designed:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/fun-with-3d-printers.211592/page-3#post-2579130

Boot dryer blowing air only (no heat), but runs at about 1.5W (.3A, 5V) on a USB so can run off a battery pack or other charging device. Added an optional online switch.

Saw similar online for $90 and figured I could make my own simply enough. About an hour in CAD, 3d printer, $15 buying some fans and a switch on Amazon and 10 minutes splicing wires. Fun project to play, not sure how useful.
You should post links to the parts you bought. And show how you mounted the fans.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely curious on how well they work. One trick someone else showed me on a fly in hunt (where bulk was fine but weight was restricted) is stuffing paper towels into boots at night which do well to adsorb alot of water. Something like this could be slick in a camper or such.

OP
C
No idea how well they'll work, just blowing some air so will do something, but not like a heated one I could use at home. Problem is using heat drives the power consumption way up. Saw a USB powered one on Amazon for cheap but it draws 2A instead of 0.3, so will run batteries down fast. I just took a stab at the diameter to make them, didn't have boots around to measure when I started, so they are currently about 3.5" I think, but could have gone a little bigger, or maybe figure some way to hold them in place better, but pulling laces just a little snug worked to hold the tongue tight to them.

I've used a bunch of parts from Thingiverse, but never have actually loaded anything, so went and did that as a way to share the 3d files. Use this link: Air-Only Boot Dryer

There are a ton of fans on Amazon, I just tried to find a higher CFM in the size I wanted to run with. These are 6800 rpm, 7.52 CFM and the link to the ones I got is here: Amazon Fans

Not interested in building to sell, just like to tinker. The ones I saw recommended and commercially available are by Grakksaw and look like a nice clean finished unit.

fmyth

WKR
No idea how well they'll work, just blowing some air so will do something, but not like a heated one I could use at home. Problem is using heat drives the power consumption way up. Saw a USB powered one on Amazon for cheap but it draws 2A instead of 0.3, so will run batteries down fast. I just took a stab at the diameter to make them, didn't have boots around to measure when I started, so they are currently about 3.5" I think, but could have gone a little bigger, or maybe figure some way to hold them in place better, but pulling laces just a little snug worked to hold the tongue tight to them.

I've used a bunch of parts from Thingiverse, but never have actually loaded anything, so went and did that as a way to share the 3d files. Use this link: Air-Only Boot Dryer

There are a ton of fans on Amazon, I just tried to find a higher CFM in the size I wanted to run with. These are 6800 rpm, 7.52 CFM and the link to the ones I got is here: Amazon Fans

Not interested in building to sell, just like to tinker. The ones I saw recommended and commercially available are by Grakksaw and look like a nice clean finished unit.
Thank you!

Tbuckus

WKR

Most backpacking ones dont use heat. Air moving works well, just not fast. usually guys will set near a stove or other heat.
downloaded your file. will print and see how it looks

fmyth

WKR
I bought these tiny fans and a battery pack on Amazon. I dropped them into a pair of damp boots and they dried them out in a couple of hours. I downloaded the file the OP provided and sent it to my son to have him print me a pair of fan covers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 10.42.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 10.42.29 AM.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 10.42.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 10.42.10 AM.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 71

NB7

WKR
I've dropped pairs of hot-hands down inside damp boots overnight and have always been satisfied with how well they've helped to dry them out by morning. I'd bet if you combine doing that with those little fans you'd definitely have a good thing going on; heat + air movement.

At home or at a truck camp, FWIW stuffing crumpled up newspaper into boots old-school-style always worked well for me too. I've had hip waders and knee boots that I'd gone over in and were soaked, and swapping out newspaper several times over night always worked surprisingly well

Jayboy

FNG
What the weight? Very cool! If its light enough I would consider carrying for late rifle