Homemade tent pole

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently purchased an MSR front-range tent and wanted to make my lightweight carbon fiber pole.

So, I jumped on Amazon and grabbed 3 lengths of 16mmx600mm carbon tubes and a 14mmx300mm tube, a total cost of about $43.

I cut one of the 16mm tubes to allow for the tent height and cut the 14mm into three 100mm lengths.

I glued two of the 14mm lengths into the short 16mm length and sanded the exposed ends to allow them to seat in the longer 16mm tube, thus creating the tipi pole that is 4.6oz compared to the 9.8oz $75 5ft MSR pole.

Total time invested in making the pole was 30mins.

Geewhiz

WKR
Easy way to save a few oz. How does the flex of the carbon compare to a typical aluminum pole?

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
Easy way to save a few oz. How does the flex of the carbon compare to a typical aluminum pole?
Like on a dome tent? This has very little flex, but it's just a straight pole for a tipi-style tent, so shouldn't get much horizontal pressure, just vertical pressure from torquing the tent down and wind.

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
Weak spot will be the joints,

I would reinforce with a fiberglass wrap at the joints.
Yeah, I would think they would be but I don't see them breaking in this application. I got the idea from seek outside carbon tent poles and they're just different diameter carbon poles nested in each other.

Nice work. What’s the overall length for your application?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk