Honda XR bike: 250R and 650L- first hand experience?

I've made a post or two on here about dirt bikes. I simply cannot seem to find "Happy". I am not a very good rider. Still trying to Wheelie. The only bikes I've used have been: 2001 XR 400 and my current KTM 450 EXC.

I've asked about buying a second bike. A bike to leave at my cabin Spring thru Fall. Something legal to go scout and run small stretches of pavement. Headlight a must. But aftermarket install OK.

Bullet Proof and Reliable are a must also. Many of the areas of Montana and Idaho are super remote. I hunt solo. I scout solo. Pretty much a Lone Wolf. Additionally I want a shuttle bike if I get heavier into fly fishing to run solo back and forth to put in/pull out-trailer.

I found a 2003 XR 250R plates on Marketplace. Guy wants $3600. It is nice. Original front tire. Super clean. But it's a 20 yo Dirt Bike. Wont move. The more I research and read on them, the more intrigued I was. They show a dry weight of only 229lbs. And a HP of 30. Air cooled. Reported to run forever. I got kinda excited. He wont budge on the price. Then....I don't see another one for sale from Great Falls to Seattle.

Went down a rabbit hole of the XR650 (L). Another air cooled dinosaur. Way heavier. Different niche. But is it? Probably pretty capable in many areas. Super heavy at 350lbs. HP is only 34-35.

I don't need a ton. But I do wanna piss around a little bit. Would like the option of some single track or moderate trails...not just "fire roads" (are these what urbanites call Forest Service Roads now??)

I NEVER rode a dirtbike in my life until I was 48. I traveled 3 hours and bought that XR400. I couldn't even load it or test drive it. I was sooooo frustrated trying to start it. Kicking myself into a lather. Impossible to start after dumping it.

But I've taken professional courses since. Logged many more hours and miles since. I don't like the idea of kick start only. I sold that POS and bought my KTM. Has a button to start it. But once it's warm....I generally kick it to start it every time...because I can. Save a battery and starter.

Dumb ideas for dinosaur bikes? Or hidden gems? That 250R seems to be a real winner. But theyre just rare. Because they're all in pieces in someones barn? Or because they're sought after and everyone is keeping theirs?

Axlrod

WKR
I have a buddy that has a 20 YO XR250. He has to have someone pull him with a truck to start it after it sets for a couple weeks.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I've never owned a dirt bike so here's an ignorant question. What makes your buddies so hard to kick start that he has to be pulled? It's a 250?

Thanks for the patience. (I own a 2018 Honda 4x4 Rubicon)

def90

WKR
I have a 96 xr250r, still runs and rides like a champ. Great bike for trail riding, a lot of low end torque. There's a reason you don't see many of them for sale. With kick start bikes the key is to just start them once in a while. Take to a bike mechanic that knows XRs and get it tuned and then run it once a month. If properly set up it shouldn't take more than a kick or two to get it going. On the other hand, let it sit over the winter and you are going to get one hell of a work out getting it going again.

yfarm

WKR
Wr250R or X Yamaha, not the y. Fuel injected, no altitude issues. Couple of generations advanced over the Hondas, not much more money than the guy wants. If money isnt too tight Honda CRF300 L. And lastly, the TW200, ultimate low speed scouting bike.

Last edited:

Fullfan

WKR
Have a 1993 xr600 and a 2009 Honda xr650l. Ride the balls off of both. I also had a Honda crf 230 that I take out west to get around.

The big Honda’s are just that. Big powerful and loud. Blast to ride with tons of low end grunt. Would never think of taking either west to get around to chase elk.

The 230 is lite, quiet and does everything I need it to do. Eletric start is nice, had to put a led light bar on it.

Way too much money for the the 250 Honda, guys think they are a collectors thing.

Watch FB marketplace. My son picked up a 2019 crf230 with no time on it. 2800.00.

I’m 47 now but rode motocrossfor a time in my youth,cr’s kx etc.
I had a 650l 4 years ago and couldn’t stand it.Was reliable but was a dog,not nimble and wouldn’t want it for anything but road riding.
Almost bought a crf300 a few years ago but got a Crf450rl.My buddy bought the 300.
I put a new pipe and ecu and it came alive.
It gave me the feeling I wanted and was used to,fast,and handled way better than the 650.
Not even a comparison.
Now I have sold it because I knew I was going to hurt myself.
I think a great bike would actually be a crf300l only if you upgrade the suspension.The xr250 and 400 are awesome if you find a mint condition but you still can’t beat the reliability of the 300.
Turn the key and go.

OP
J
I has hot on the 300L for a while. Thought it would be the Be All End All.

The intervals for service are awesome. Lots to like. Still very difficult to find used. Some are now popping up tho.

I am not advanced enough for that 450L. My research is only YT vids...but lotta guys say they're a handful. Without the ECU even more so.

And not sure I want to go that nice and that steep on price to piss around with. But agree...it checks quite a few boxes.

So does the new(er) CRF 250F. Replaced the XR. Air cooled but fuel injected. Same 3000+ mile service intervals. 19 HP keeps me from getting serious. I would simply just need 5 minutes on one on a dirt road to know Yea or Nay. Can't seem to find those test rides

Fullfan

WKR
Hand Warner by Honda. I’m 58 years old, the 230 is perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_9165.jpeg
    IMG_9165.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9229.jpeg
    IMG_9229.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 27

Wrench

WKR
I'd take a xr250r as a hunting type bike. They turn about 30% of the rpm of new bikes and will never bust a radiator when you tip over.

They're valved good for slow speed trails and never don't start if they are in decent tune.

They're ergonomically gross compared to a late moto bike....but they do everything you need and nothing you don't.

colby12

WKR
I has hot on the 300L for a while. Thought it would be the Be All End All.

The intervals for service are awesome. Lots to like. Still very difficult to find used. Some are now popping up tho.

I am not advanced enough for that 450L. My research is only YT vids...but lotta guys say they're a handful. Without the ECU even more so.

And not sure I want to go that nice and that steep on price to piss around with. But agree...it checks quite a few boxes.

So does the new(er) CRF 250F. Replaced the XR. Air cooled but fuel injected. Same 3000+ mile service intervals. 19 HP keeps me from getting serious. I would simply just need 5 minutes on one on a dirt road to know Yea or Nay. Can't seem to find those test rides
I’m in a similar search currently. I have a KLX300 which is just on the heavy side and not what I want for strictly off road. I bought it because I could drive it to work, I have moved and it’s not as handy but there is a lot more places to ride off road. My buddy had a CRF250F that I wish I would have bought. It was lighter and felt a lot more comfortable to ride. If you want more of break down in the difference between my 300 and that 250 let me know. Didn’t have a ton of power but it was comfortable. I will look for one of those, maybe a 250RX or for the right price a KTM 250 xc-w.

I had a 650L and it is a big heavy beast. I least felt I was just along for the ride and it would just putt around up and over annd through anything (with better tires). Smaller bikes are more of an extension of your body and I liked them better personally. But it depends what you are doing if you are mostly cruising reasonable roads and trails and not a lot of technical the 650L might be better for you.

Had a 1996 XR250 that I bought in excellent condition 15 years ago and used it for trail riding for several years. I'm 5'8" with 29 inch inseam and the seat height was a little too high for me, but workable. The bike was great. tuned it for 6000 feet and ran like a champ. Known to be bullet-proof and my experience was that. Parts are still relatively easy to find and it's easy to work on. Lots of low-end torque. I found it to be a very capable single track trail rider. I recently purchased a yami xt225 dual sport to use as a hunting ride. It has a much more manageable seat height for me. It however is nowhere near as capable a trail bike as the xr250 is. I would never choose an xr650 for single track use, too heavy in my opinion. I see that bike as more of an old school fire road bike.

If you’re not opposed to coming to Oklahoma my buddy is going to sale his 300l.
Mint condition and hardly rode.