Hornady 6.5 mm Creedmoor for bear

Which is a better round for black bear (and whitetail deer) inside of 200 yards in 6.5 mm Creedmoor?
Hornady Superformance 120 gr GMX or Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X

I know the interplay between mass and velocity is important for getting proper expansion but uncertain whether the heavier and slower lead ELD-X is a better bet than the faster but lighter copper GMX.

Thanks

Inside 200 yards, if they shoot good enough I'd go with the copper bullet. The ELDX can lose a lot of material in your meat at high velocities.

Bears can be hard to track due to their thick fur. Even with the exit wound of the solid copper, I don't know if you would get a good blood trail. I would prefer the much faster kill that fragmenting bullets give over mono projectiles. I would *not* want a slow kill in dense territory where it would be hard to recover the dead bear.

MHWASH

WKR
I've killed two bears with my 6.5, I'm a big fan of the rapidly expanding bullets. I've used the Berger 135 Classic Hunter and the 130 ELDM with great results. My youngest boy used the 150 ELDx out of his 7-08 this spring. Both were dead right there.

Which is a better round for black bear (and whitetail deer) inside of 200 yards in 6.5 mm Creedmoor?
Hornady Superformance 120 gr GMX or Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X

I know the interplay between mass and velocity is important for getting proper expansion but uncertain whether the heavier and slower lead ELD-X is a better bet than the faster but lighter copper GMX.

Thanks
copper GMX is lack luster in low velocities of a 6.5 CM.

Cup and core are a better choice

143 eldx destroys a lot of tissue. The exit on my whitetail doe last year (160 yds) was 2"+. Dramatically more damage than i've seen out of any mono, even at much higher impact velocities.

TreeDog

FNG
Eldx. I've shot bears with the 178 out of a 308 and plenty of other critters with the same round. Girlfriend shot her bear this spring with the 143 out of a 6.5 prc. It will work just fine.

OP
V
I believe the rating for GMX is 3010 fps and the ELD-X is 2700 fps. So we’re talking approx 10gr and 300fps difference.

I’m shooting both this weekend at the range. I also have some 6.5CM Barnes if we want to add them to the debate.

I believe the rating for GMX is 3010 fps and the ELD-X is 2700 fps. So we’re talking approx 10gr and 300fps difference.

I’m shooting both this weekend at the range. I also have some 6.5CM Barnes if we want to add them to the debate.
Factory Hornady ELDX shot at an average of 2650 out of a 24" Tikka for me.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a smaller wound channel go with the copper. If you want a larger wound channel go with the eld-x.

WKR
We have had great luck with the 140 vld. I'd vote for the 143 out of those two you are considering.

143 ELD X, or 140 ELD M is a great option too. I've only shot one bear with a 6.5 CM, but it was a 140 ELD M at 380 and it never took a step from a high shoulder shot.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Im taking mine with 140 eld m this fall for bears. I’m excited to see what it does

MHWASH

WKR
Keep in mind a lot of bear hunters prefer the middle of the middle shot placement, myself included. If you take this placement into consideration, A soft bullet such as the Hornady is not going to damage much if an meat.

OP
V
Thanks for all the insightful comments.

My main concern in selecting the proper round for bear comes from the fact that I've taken several deer with Hornady's Superformance SST 6.5 CM (129gr, 2950 fps). All the deer died within 30 yards but I've been surprised by how little a response the lethal hits usually evoked. On a couple of instances, the deer didn't even jump on impact to what was a lethal hit.

With the 120 gr GMX Superformance (or Barnes VOR-TX, 120 gr TTSX BT; 2910 fps), we're dealing with an even lighter bullet than the SST but it'll have better mass retention. The Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X is 23 gr heavier which simply feels like it will hit 'em harder. Yes, velocity and mass retention also factor in. Am I wrong to assume that the 143gr will be more likely to drop a bear where it stands assuming double lung hit?

Thanks for all the insightful comments.

My main concern in selecting the proper round for bear comes from the fact that I've taken several deer with Hornady's Superformance SST 6.5 CM (129gr, 2950 fps). All the deer died within 30 yards but I've been surprised by how little a response the lethal hits usually evoked. On a couple of instances, the deer didn't even jump on impact to what was a lethal hit.

With the 120 gr GMX Superformance (or Barnes VOR-TX, 120 gr TTSX BT; 2910 fps), we're dealing with an even lighter bullet than the SST but it'll have better mass retention. The Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X is 23 gr heavier which simply feels like it will hit 'em harder. Yes, velocity and mass retention also factor in. Am I wrong to assume that the 143gr will be more likely to drop a bear where it stands assuming double lung hit?
only way you drop an animal is to sever/disrupt central nervous system aka spine

The cup and core bullets do a better job of destroying larger amounts of lung tissue then monolithic bullets, Even more so when monolithics are used in lower velocity cartridges like 6.5CM

I should of explained better. Every bullet is built for a certain impact velocity range, Monolithics like GMX/CX/TSX/TTSX excel at higher impact velocities that may compromise a cup core type bullet. On the flip, a cup and core bullets expand at much lower velocities then monolithic this why they are used at longer ranges. 6.5 CM is a moderate velocity cartridge

For bears, with a vital area well behind shoulder blade, I would use any bullet but a monolithic. I used a 139 lupa scenar in 6.5CM last year and was very pleased with results.

ianpadron

WKR
The 143 ELDX is a particularly violent bullet. Slip it behind the shoulder and its usually a DRT type situation. Hit a shoulder and it's a DRT and 1-2 lost quarters due to excessive bloodshot.

With bears I don't like having them run off into the bush to expire...so I'd choose the 143 out of the two choices.