Hornady BTHP for Hunting

Specifically looking at .224-75gr, .243-105gr, and .308-168gr (or 175)

I know ELDs are pretty widely accepted for the performance on game, but I can only find spotty references to the BTHPs performance on game. Looking at these bullets out of a 223, 6arc, or 308 gas gun. Does anybody know or know where to look for game type performance for these?

Edit: I am specifically wondering about whitetail deer and smaller but always interested in discussion on everything else

I've only used the 75 GR 22 cal on coyotes. Out 15 or so before I switched, about 80% were runners. It's slower to upset than an ELD. Not my favorite, I only use them for practice now, they do shoot well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a bunch of animals with the 270 140 grain years ago. They would notoriously shed the jacket but they killed really well. Probably killed close to 20 deer, elk, and antelope with them

Coyotes are the largest critters I have shot with 75gr HPBT rounds. Hornady Frontier ammo to be specific, from both a gas gun and a bolt gun. None of them have ran off, they all died where I shot them. I have also shot several hundred prairie dogs with them, out to 250ish yards with no issues. The turkey I shot this year didn’t complain either. I am hoping to shoot a bear or wolf and some whitetail deer with it as well later this year.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady Frontier 75 grain HPBT is my go to ammo for Thermal pig hunting when I’m running a 5.56/.223. I’ve had great luck out of it in 16” and 11.5” rifles. I’ve killed well over 200 pigs with that round along with a handful of coyotes and bobcats. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer with it. I’ve also ran quite a few 68 BTHPs when I can’t find 75s and they work well also, but I definitely prefer the 75s.

I’ve also ran handloads with 105 BTHPs in my 18” 6 Creed and killed a dozen or so pigs and coyotes along with two or three deer. They don’t seem to perform quite as well as 108 ELD-Ms IMO, but I have no issue with running them as a cheaper bullet.

I run the 105's outta a 243. They are cheap and accurate. They are harder than an ELD type of bullet. Everything I kill is generally inside of 200yards, they seem to do about the same damage as when I was using 100gr pro-hunters.

Everything I have poked a hole in has fallen over, no complaints there. Not the bullet I would use if I was planning on longer range shots on animals though. I feel that it is a tad hard for that

kkp005

WKR
I shoot the hornady black 105 bthp in a 18” 6CM topped with a thermal . Killed a bunch of hogs and coyotes with it. Seems effective but I haven’t really cut many animals open and seen what It did to them

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with the BTHP .224 caliber Hornady Black rounds on deer and hogs and coyotes.
But 90% of shots were with in 300 yard using an AR.
Sample size of maybe 5 to 8 critters that I've actually opened up and tracked bullet track/damage.
Never thought to take pics.
Edit to say: here in the Mtns of Arkansas our deer are not big or especially tough.
Certainly NOTHING like what I grew up hunting with slugs in central Midwest.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of the 75BTHPs in my .223, dropped plenty of deer, hogs and goats.
All my shots tend to be under 200m, a bunch under 100m, cheast shots drop deer pretty dang fast.

Kimmo H

FNG
I've only shot black grouse with the 75gr BTHP from a 223, and it is great for that. It clearly opens up some, as it does pretty much damage on center mass shots, ripping the backside open. I prefer that as I hunt without a dog, so tracking game after being shot down is not the optimal scenario. Everything shot and hit the BTHP have been found under the tree they were shot from.
A friend of mine also swears by the 75gr BTHP for pretty much everything legal here, wich roedeer and smaller game. He's shot a lot more game with it than I have, and to my knowledge without an issue in years and hundreds of shots at game.

Personally wouldn't have any hesitations to use it on larger game either. ELD-M seems to be a bit too fast expanding for small game like grouse, causing excessive meat loss, but on larger animals it seems to work great from what I've read about it.