Hornady ELD-X

Rock-o

WKR
I think there is a ratio of bullet weight/ velocity/ and animal size. The 6,5 CM with the 143 vs a deer sized creature at its velocity 2500 ish is a deadly combination.
Yep. Read up on Sectional Density. The 6.5 143 grain has a very good sectional density.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I’ve shot 4 various game with 143 ELDXs this year with good results.

Mountain Goat ~180yds entered below shoulder, out neck...exit hole was soda can sized. Dropped straight.

Did it destroy the hide?

Tahoe1305

WKR
PICT below of sheep exit. I’d say from my experience this is on par with typical exit cavities.

Attachments

• 564DCA27-A526-4278-8DF2-B78FF8048518.jpeg
    564DCA27-A526-4278-8DF2-B78FF8048518.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 88

JR264

FNG
Used 143 ELDX on a whitetail buck at 220 yards. Shot behind the shoulder buck only ran about 10 yards. Full pass through with Golf ball size exit hole

Z9Y9

FNG
Well as promised I used the Tikka T3x in 30-06 this year with the factory loaded precision hunter.
Due to community hunt guidelines I was legally able to shoot at 2 bull moose.
Unfortunately I did not take pictures as we were field dressing but I may have one of meat hanging that shows some damage.20200902_223539.jpg

Z9Y9

FNG
yes it was a small food bull, no trophy value.
Moose 1 was just about 120 yards facing me head on. Bullet hit just below his right eye, hit jaw and tongue and traveled down the left side of his neck until the bullet hit his left shoulder edge-on shattering scapula. Lost about 4 pounds of neck meat and another 2 or 3 pounds of shoulder meat where it attached to chest.
No bullet recovered.
Moose moved about 20 yards in a half circle before dropping. Extreme blood loss from face and mouth staining the brush. Lungs and heart and other vitals were untouched, just pure blood loss i figure. Maybe coratid artery?

Z9Y9

FNG
moose #2 was the next day.
Jumped up downhill from me at about 90yards and took off running up a mountain. I rushed the shot and hit him square between the shoulders from above as he was running straight away. He died under a tree at 120 yards.
No bullet recovered. Lost pretty much every bit of backstrap. Bullet made a hole in the spine and the tops of both lungs were torn up, swollen, and bloodshot.
It was different than how the larger 338wm did last year, but also 4 times closer. Anyway, several families will be having lots of moose meat in freezers. And I might have a picture of that backstrap hanging that I can add later.

Killed a bull elk yesterday using 308 178gr eldx. Shot was 304 yards. Twice in the lungs, once in the shoulders. Complete pass through all shots. Exit holes about the size of my finger with some, albeit minimal, meat damage on the shoulders. Killed that bull where he stood so it worked fine for me. Photo is of the exit wound on the front left shoulder.
88AD55F6-6862-4D72-ACDB-89354FD62198.jpeg

I was considering switching from the ELDX to an all copper bullet but man they're accurate so I stayed with them. Last week I took a bull elk at 325 yards broadside & had a complete pass through. Double lung shot & he dropped within 25 yards. I'd still a little nervous about hitting a shoulder/ bone or taking a marginal shot with them.

j33

WKR
6.5 Creedmoor 143 ELDX took down a big Alberta moose at ~250yds. Perfectly broadside, no exit hole, walked 20 yds before falling was a lung shot from what I was told.

Shot would not have been taken if in a poor position, shooter was a younger lady so recoil sensitive.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
My dad shot a cow last week at 180yds with the 175 ELDX. Muzzle velocity was about 3000fps. He hit about 5 inches behind the shoulder and the elk just stood there. Stood for about 2-3 minutes, then wobbled and fell over. The bullet did not pass through the elk, and was not found on the opposite side skin. Actually after skinning the elk, the opposite side was not blood shot or anything, didn't even look affected. We did not gut it, but I would imagine the insides were tore up pretty good. I think the bullet did what it was designed to do, but I would rather have an exit hole. I was shooting accubonds, but didn't get an opportunity to compare them.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my bull this year with a 7mm-08 150gr. at 140 yards quartering slightly away. I shot it freehand and the shot was a little high and back. I got a complete pass through and a dead elk 60 yards from the shot. I had questions about the effectiveness but the accuracy was to good to not use them. I would use them again but I am going to play around with copper this winter and see if I can match the accuracy.

Calbuck

WKR
Killed yet another mule deer with 162 gr out of 7 mag..100 yards hit high shoulder deer did not take a step..I’ve yet to have ANY animal make it more than 20 yards after one shot with these bullets. Most dropped in their tracks

My first experience with elk this year was with the eld-x bullet in a hand loaded .300 wsm shooting 3000fps, way fast but solid and accurate.
shot was at 300and elk was quartering toward me. Bullet entered just in front of near shoulder, and travelled all the way back and was recovered close to the opposite tenderloin. He lurched hard, turned broadside and I put another in him broadside in the chest. He dropped right there. Second bullet was not recovered.
First shot would have been lethal, second shot was insurance.

The ELD-X is one bullet that I will never shoot again. Developed a load for my 300 win last year with 178 grain eld-x, and took one whitetail and an elk. The whitetail was at a steep uphill angle at 250 yards. The bullet bounced around inside before becoming lodged in the spine. The weight of the recovered bullet was around 27 grains and I found pieces throughout the cavity and even a few pieces under the hide in the hind quarter. The elk was a frontal shot at 100 yards and again recovered many pieces of the bullet throughout the animal.

Made the switch to 180 barnes ttsx and couldn't be happier.
Hmmm 2 shots, 2,dead animals exactly what's the problem with the eld x????
LOL don't understand how guys can claim
Bullet failure when the animal dies and you recover it
But I guess it's easier to blame everything else instead of admitting we either made a bad shot/
Or we should have waited for a better opportunity