Hornady ELDM pressure

deadwolf

WKR
Starting this thread to see if others have experienced the same…

Today at the range I experienced a hard bolt lift and extraction with factory Hornady 225 ELDM for my 300 PRC.

The rifle is a Proof Elevation MTR, and only has about 40 rounds through it at this point. After the issue popped up I switched over to some 212 ELDX with no issues at all.

I will be reloading a 215 Berger in ADG brass, but in an effort to preserve components I picked up the ELDM for barrel break in, sight in etc.

If I’m not mistaken I feel I’ve seen others have a similar experience with the Hornady match ammo in the PRC calibers but wanted to check in here to see if that is in fact the case.

Thanks a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxLite

WKR
I had that issue in my 7 prc with the 175 eldx factory ammo

Edit to add- also had the 139 superformance blow primers in my 7-08 ar10 and tikka

CCooper

WKR
Most of the precision hunter and match I have shot through many rifles has been pretty spicey. Hornady brass is not the best and will show ejector stamps and swipes on the case head frequently.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Most of the precision hunter and match I have shot through many rifles has been pretty spicey. Hornady brass is not the best and will show ejector stamps and swipes on the case head frequently.

Agree, I have known Hornady brass to be pretty soft and don’t use it to reload, but was somewhat surprised to have pressure signs in the match but not the precision hunter.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I had that issue in my 7 prc with the 175 eldx factory ammo

Edit to add- also had the 139 superformance blow primers in my 7-08 ar10 and tikka

Had a friend receive a new Gunwerks rifle with factory Hornady 7PRC ammo and he had similar issues to mine.

CCooper

WKR
My current 300 PRC will show pressure signs with both the 212 PH and the 225 Match. (SAAMI chamber).
My current 6.5 PRC will show pressure signs with both as well. (SAAMI chamber).

Both rifles don't shoot the match well, but will print respectable groups with the PH. I, like you reload for them and get a fair amount more juice out of ADG, Viht. powder, and ELDM's in both.

awesymoto

FNG
Starting this thread to see if others have experienced the same…

Today at the range I experienced a hard bolt lift and extraction with factory Hornady 225 ELDM for my 300 PRC.

The rifle is a Proof Elevation MTR, and only has about 40 rounds through it at this point. After the issue popped up I switched over to some 212 ELDX with no issues at all.

I will be reloading a 215 Berger in ADG brass, but in an effort to preserve components I picked up the ELDM for barrel break in, sight in etc.

If I’m not mistaken I feel I’ve seen others have a similar experience with the Hornady match ammo in the PRC calibers but wanted to check in here to see if that is in fact the case.

Thanks a bunch.

What lot number was on the box? I’ve actually had slow 225 match velocities and very spicy 212 velocities from factory match and precision hunter

I ran two boxes of the PH 212 ELD-x on initial sight and break-in. Bolt lift a bit sticky about half way though the second box. Seemed a bit spicy. I only had extractor marks, primers seemed to be OK with no real signs of being over max.

I'm now running 78.0g Retumbo in virgin Lapua brass. Same ejector marks (as this is forming), primers good, no stickiness on bolt at all.