Hornady Interlock .308 Breaking Apart in Mid-air

ColeyG

WKR
I just got a call from a buddy who has been hunting down in Texas for a week. He has shot and lost a number of hogs and this morning shot and couldn’t track a whitetail doe. All shots were sub-60 yards from a very competent marksman. Low likelihood of a clean miss.

Being super frustrated he checked his zero and 4 out of 7 rounds he shot at a cardboard backer broke apart mid-air.

The Ammo is Hornady’s American Whitetail factory which uses their 180gr interlock soft point.

His rifle is an AR-10 style .308 that he has used with other ammo pretty extensively in the past with no issues.

What in the world is going on here?

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Specific gun specs? New gun, shot many times prior, borrowed? Just curoius because if it is a long used gun by him and this is a first time issue due to new ammo as the only change, then ammo is the issue, otherwise i am thinking suppressor issues or rifling issues. I would think this bullet could tumble and still hold together without issue though at first thought so thinking supressor/muzzle device misaligned.

Buddy had an undersized muzzle brake f him up one time...granted, that was found out within 10 rounds on the range

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
More than likely baffle strikes in the can for whatever reason, if he is running suppressed. Some guys don't even have a clue periodically. Was looking at a friends can a few years ago and it was obvious that he had, at one time, bullets striking the end cap, asked him about it and he had no idea.

OP
ColeyG

ColeyG

WKR
No can.

Not sure on the make/model of the rifle. Will find out.

Has used it extensively with a range of ammo, including another lot number of this ammo.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How did he determine its coming apart in mid air? Doesn't seem like something you can see with nake eye? Is he getting multiple pieces hitting the target (not just an oblong hole which is a tumbling bullet)?

Also just gotta toss out a question, no offense intended, is there even the slightest chance he grabbed the wrong caliber ammo (or the box has the wrong ammo in it)? I'd imagine you could chamber say 7-08 into a 308 and fire it without anything blowing up but the bullet wouldn't be too happy about bouncing down the barrel.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
It's definitely interesting, I've only had this happen shooting Hornady sx bullets and some blitz out of a .22-250 so in one case over-rotation and one over speed.
Neither seem possible in this scenario. Is it possible he has damaged the bore somehow during cleaning?

t_carlson

WKR
I've heard of varmint bullets disintegrating in the air, but never anything like a 180 IL in a .308. The varmint bullets will do it because of a combination of thin jackets and high velocity.

Bullet or gun defect of some kind, IMO.

OP
ColeyG

ColeyG

WKR
It's definitely interesting, I've only had this happen shooting Hornady sx bullets and some blitz out of a .22-250 so in one case over-rotation and one over speed.
Neither seem possible in this scenario. Is it possible he has damaged the bore somehow during cleaning?

I asked that question as well. Told him to inspect the bore and chamber for any sign of damage, anomalies, etc. Assuming there is none, my guess is a bad batch of ammo that wound up with ultrathin jackets somehow.

OP
ColeyG

ColeyG

WKR
How did he determine its coming apart in mid air? Doesn't seem like something you can see with nake eye? Is he getting multiple pieces hitting the target (not just an oblong hole which is a tumbling bullet)?

Also just gotta toss out a question, no offense intended, is there even the slightest chance he grabbed the wrong caliber ammo (or the box has the wrong ammo in it)? I'd imagine you could chamber say 7-08 into a 308 and fire it without anything blowing up but the bullet wouldn't be too happy about bouncing down the barrel.

Yes. Multiple fragmented pieces of the bullet hitting the cardboard backer.

The first question I asked him was whether he was sure he was shooting the right caliber of ammo.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I'd probably contact Hornady with the lot number and ask some questions.
Me being me, I'd probably also sectioning with a mill file just to see for myself.
I've pushed sst's pretty fast and though they seemed to fragile for what I was doing, none came apart in flight.