Hornady Interlock Anyone?

My 20” barrel Tikka UPR/CTR 308 was shooting some of the tightest groups I’ve seen out of the rifle at 100 yards today.

Load was the classic 150 grain flat base Hornady Interlock loaded to manual recommended 2.735 COAL with 45 grains of Varget. 2716 FPS with no stiff bolt or ejector markings.

Anyone loading these ultra boring but effective flat base soft points or other Interlock variations? My data has it meeting terminal thresholds at 400 yards but 99% of my killing is under 250 yards.

1970s tech still desirable today?

It used to be my bullet of choice for whitetails. One shot and DRT. Occasionally recovered a bullet on the off-side under the skin, the rest were pass-throughs. Picture perfect mushroom on every one I recovered. They came in a red and white box. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. We use them more than any other bullet in most of our rifles. We don’t have any guns I can’t make them work in. 748win, IMR 4350, and H870 seem to cover most bases with them powder wise too.

Tom-D

FNG
Yep running them in the same gun but with 47.7gr. tried a bunch of other bullets that didn’t group nearly as well. I have killed a heap of pigs and kangaroos with them and not many keep moving

Traditional cup and core bullets in many cases, and in much of my experience, are as accurate as anything. Very easy to make by manufacturers, easy to mate the bore uniformly under pressure, which I think leads to good accuracy.

Hornady Interlock's shoot very well from any rifle/chambering/caliber I have used them in. .270 Win, .280 Rem, 284 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 7mm STW, 35 Whelen AI.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I reload and shoot 150gr interlocks from my grandpas old 303 savage. Also load 139 gr interlocks in my 7mm-08 for range practice and they shoot great.

I usually hunt with 140gr ttsx from my 7mm-08 but going to give the interlocks a go for the '24 spring bear season.

I have shot 175 gr 7RM interlocs for 20 + years. They are accurate and perform perfectly. My preferance are the round nose bullets which they quit making. I hunted down every box I could find and think I have enough to last me but who knows. I wish Hornady would have given us a warning and given us the opportunity to stock up.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Super bullet. Took lots of game with them over the years in 270, 7mm, 30 cal in various cartridges and weights.

Lou

Vern400

WKR
308 diameter interlocks work. If they are accurate out of your gun, you only need one gun and one bullet. I have laser beam load with Sierra game Kings. I think the interlock stays together just a little better when you hit a big bone.

The nice thing is the soft lead tip. Absolutely no worry about initiating expansion very quickly. At 308 velocity there's little risk of the bullet coming apart except at extremely close ranges hitting a very big bone. Like a spine shot straight down. Still DRT.

When I pull the trigger and the animal falls on the spot, that is boring. Deer that run off are exciting.
I like boring.
It makes me happy.
I let my tracking dog THINK she found it.
That makes her happy .
Win-Win.

OP
General RE LEE
When I pull the trigger and the animal falls on the spot, that is boring. Deer that run off are exciting.
I like boring.
It makes me happy.
I let my tracking dog THINK she found it.
That makes her happy .
Win-Win.

Great stuff and I bet your tracking dog is a good companion.