Hot Summer Boot options

Hi All,

I've done a ton of research and found some good info, but would like to ask if you have any suggestions to add or subtract to this list of options for a hot summer, lighter weight backpack hunting boot?

Let's assume as given that each of our feet is different so it's not about what is the best boot for each foot. Rather, for this thread, I'm really just collecting information based on experience on which boots excel in:
  • stiffness - sidehilling on loose steep terrain and off trail miles
  • ankle support (no trail runners for me, thanks)
  • lightness
As reference I currently have the Lowa Tibet HI GTX which took very good care of my feet this year, with no blisters and very secure. However, in the many days of 90-100+ degrees they certainly are hot, not to mention relatively heavy at 4lbs.

Any discussion or recommendations on the merits of these or others I should consider based on their performance in stiffness/ankle support/lightness?
  • Crispi Thors
  • Crispi Colorados
  • La Sportiva Trango
  • La Sportiva Trango tech
  • La Sportiva Trango cube
  • Lowa Renegade GTX
  • ...?
Thanks,

Steve

Jimss

WKR
You could make a spread sheet with boots and the weights, material, stiffness, weight, and other ratings?

In regard to stiffness, ankle support, and weight.....generally speaking all leather boots are stiffer, with more ankle support, and weigh more than synthetic boots. Sole material and thickness also changes all these.

Synthetics generally breath better than leather. I use and abuse boots and have found that all leather out last synthetics. The less stitching the longer length of time my boots last...especially if hiking in wet conditions.

Taller boots are usually stiffer, more ankle support, and heavier than shorter boots. If you don't have ankle problems I would highly recommend medium height boots....especially for hot summer hiking!

I have experience with quite a few different Lowas and Crispis. I've used Lowa Renegades, Vantage, Caminos, and Tibets.….listed from lightest to heaviest/stiffest. There are several different Renegades...some all leather but most have quite a few seams. Mine fell apart at the seams. They are super light, have quiet soles for stalking but aren't very stiff for super steep slopes. If going with Lowas I would choose Vantage or Caminos. Caminos are a tad heavier than Vantage. I've warn both pairs sheep and mtn goat hunting...both performed well on extreme slopes.

For Crispis from lightest to heaviest/stiffest are: Thors, Summits, Idahos, Colorados. The Thors and Summits are mostly synthetic so would breath well. The Idahos and Colorados are almost solid leather so would be heavier, stiffer but likely outlast the others.

OP
L
Thanks Jim for sharing your experience!

As all things in life it's a matter of choosing your compromise. As I've got the big, high, stiff leather boots now I do want to try out a mid synthetic to see if it can fit the type of generally dry hunting, backpacking, scouting I'm doing May-Sept.

Sept/Oct I'd switch to the Tibets for WY or big country hunts that could get colder, though if I go with a 2 boot system, eventually I do want to try an insulate Tibet or similar for those snowy cold hunts we had in WY this year. Every morning for a couple weeks was -16 to 16 degrees. When hiking my feet were great, but if glassing for a while or before I got the blood flowing with a good hike, they'd get chilly.

Happy New Year all !!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would first cross off anything with Goretex in it for warm to hot weather- it adds warmth and even occasionally prevents wet feet :) in cool to cold weather; the liner simply holds heat (and moisture in)- things you don't want in warm to hot weather

I use trail runners almost exclusively in the "summer"- that includes a lot of off route trail in rough country. Regardless if you go trail runner or something heavier- you want good outsoles, I've found that La Sportiva is tough to beat in the sticky outsole category.

OP
L
I'm actually totally fine going non goretex, and as I think about it I'd like to go leather too. While it's heavier, after coming across a coiled rattler in a break in the tall grass last season, I prefer having my feet protected.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely give something non-Gore-Tex a try. Andrew Skurka has some articles about that too. Basically he says GTX is a sham and the only time it might be useful is in frozen conditions where there is actually not much liquid moisture around.

If you do get your non-waterproof boots wet, they dry much faster. With a dry pair of wool socks, and in dry weather, you can literally “walk them dry” relatively quickly.

I have been doing most of my warm weather hiking in Garmont T8 Bifidas lately. Good supportive sole, very comfortable after break-in. Fairly lightweight. Very breathable compared to lots of other boots. Dry fast. Only cost like $140. They are an Army approved uniform boot, so you do have the tactical kind of appearance, but not too bad. No one will notice a few miles into the backcountry.

OP
L
Thanks for the tips on Zamberlan and Garmont. It's been quite tough finding non waterproof boots. The Lowa Renegade LL (leather lined)seemed to be out of stock everywhere and the Camino LL and so many of the other brands' LL are almost the same weight as my current Lowa Tibets.

There are some fabric non waterproofs, but I've decided to stick to the leather for rattlesnake protection, so this limits me a good bit on the light weight non-waterproof options.

The Scarpa Ribelle HD is what I'm trying on at getting a feel of at home and most likely going to be the final choice. It's not the GTX liner but an outer waterproofing process. Probably not going to be the most breathable, but they save about 15 oz. on my Tibets, which feels very noticeable even around the house.

Thanks again for the tips!

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
I have those Zamberlans from Camofire being delivered today. I will be breaking them in with morning walks here in SW Florida in pretty warm temps. I will report back in a few days on how I find them for warmer weather, even though I purchased them for fall hunting in New England.

Kotaman

WKR
Crispi Thor’s are my go to warm weather boots. Also have the Colorado’s and they are much more boot. Early season extreme mountain hunt I go Colorado or Nevada. Everything else early, I’m wearing Thor’s.

OP
L
Thanks for the tip for the Zamberlan on Camofire. That looks like a great LL non-waterproof all leather options, pending foot fit and feel. I think I'm going to stick with the Scarpa Ribelle HD as they're a touch lighter at 3.1lbs vs. the Zamberlan at 3.6. Not a big difference so if the Ribelle's didn't feel so good I'd certainly look hard at those Zamberlan.

The Thors were one of the first that intrigued me, but for the piece of mind around rattlesnakes I decided to opt for all leather upper vs. the cordura of the Thor. I like the specs at least of light and stiff.

Thanks guys, as I'm sure there are and will be others interested hearing impressions of light, stiff hot summer boots.

joestrow

WKR
Also very interested in this thread - the hot New Mexico sun has my feet burning in the early season. Tried on the lightest weight danners at cabelas and the employee said he’s had trouble with their lightweight stuff coming apart.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend looking at the Asolo Shiraz for a synthetic option and the Asolo Hunter GV for a leather boot. I have the Shiraz and have been very happy with it for a summer mid height boot. I have the Tibets and my biggest complaint with them is how much volume is in the lower portion of the boot (from the rand down). They feel large, a bit clunky, and not very precise or good for technical routes. The Shiraz is much slimmer (more like a La Sportiva), lighter, and precise fitting. For off route, via ferrata style climbing they inspire much more confidence than the Tibets. To be fair the Tibets are not designed for this type of use.
The Shiraz uses a Schoeller fabric (one of the most technical fabric suppliers out there) for the upper and it breathes well and is very robust. It does have a gore tex liner. I would prefer an out-dry system which is bonded to the uppers instead of the gore tex bootie which can cause moisture retention in the interstitial space.
As for flexibility, it is about the same as the Tibet, so a fairly stiff boot.
I doubt you will find a better option than the Ribella like we have been discussing on your other thread, but this will provide another option for others who come across this thread!

JNDEER

WKR
Those not in CA have never hunted our HOT A zone hunts. There "early" season hunts are nothing compared to our hot seasons.

1) nothing waterproof
2) nothing all leather
3) light or medium weight wool sock- no liner
4) extra pair of socks or mid-day lunch snack break time take off the boots and socks to dry
5) gold bond blue powder

I have been using Vasque breeze boots for about 8 years, on my 3 paired. Enough support for what CA has to offer and my feet breathe enough so I don't ring sweat out of the socks after hunting all day. Never looked at higher end non-waterproof boots as at REI every year they can be found on sale for around $100.

i have been happy with the salomon 4d gtx here in hawaii for the last 2 years. for me they have a little bit more support than the lowa renegade but still aren't too stiff. main complaint is i see guys complain about them leaking but it you said that wasnt an issue for you if youre looking at non gtx). i have a wider foot and they fit me really well. id suggest you try as many on as you can before you buy

Hi All,

I've done a ton of research and found some good info, but would like to ask if you have any suggestions to add or subtract to this list of options for a hot summer, lighter weight backpack hunting boot?

Let's assume as given that each of our feet is different so it's not about what is the best boot for each foot. Rather, for this thread, I'm really just collecting information based on experience on which boots excel in:
  • stiffness - sidehilling on loose steep terrain and off trail miles
  • ankle support (no trail runners for me, thanks)
  • lightness
As reference I currently have the Lowa Tibet HI GTX which took very good care of my feet this year, with no blisters and very secure. However, in the many days of 90-100+ degrees they certainly are hot, not to mention relatively heavy at 4lbs.

Any discussion or recommendations on the merits of these or others I should consider based on their performance in stiffness/ankle support/lightness?
  • Crispi Thors
  • Crispi Colorados
  • La Sportiva Trango
  • La Sportiva Trango tech
  • La Sportiva Trango cube
  • Lowa Renegade GTX
  • ...?
Thanks,

Steve
Salewa

OP
L
Those not in CA have never hunted our HOT A zone hunts. There "early" season hunts are nothing compared to our hot seasons.

1) nothing waterproof
2) nothing all leather
3) light or medium weight wool sock- no liner
4) extra pair of socks or mid-day lunch snack break time take off the boots and socks to dry
5) gold bond blue powder

I have been using Vasque breeze boots for about 8 years, on my 3 paired. Enough support for what CA has to offer and my feet breathe enough so I don't ring sweat out of the socks after hunting all day. Never looked at higher end non-waterproof boots as at REI every year they can be found on sale for around $100.

I hear you indeed. I actually have some Vasque low hiking shoes that fit my feet great for simple around town and short trails, so thought about the Breeze. I'd like to go all leather, but I'm always going through the tall, dry grass and dry with maybe (if lucky) a touch of water in a creek bed, which are all perfect for rattlers. I know I'm extra cautious, but when powering through there, off trail, I like the peace of mind of the leather boot and I actually also wear snake gaiters which are far from cool too, trapping heat in. But I can charge forward without concern to a large degree.

So I'm stuck with leather.

If not concerned of rattlers, I've heard good things of the Solomon 4D's, and Salewa also. I had a pair of the Asolo hunters, which were light, plus leather, not too stiff and mostly comfortable for my foot. However, the arch was a touch high for my foot and gave me a little arch pain. Sold to my buddy who loves them.

Thanks for all the tips. CA, AZ, NM, HI folks will appreciate the hot weather options.

OP
L
I have the Tibets and my biggest complaint with them is how much volume is in the lower portion of the boot (from the rand down). They feel large, a bit clunky, and not very precise or good for technical routes. For off route, via ferrata style climbing they inspire much more confidence than the Tibets. To be fair the Tibets are not designed for this type of use.

So interesting as that's exactly how I feel with the Tibets. They've taken great care of me this year with many miles on varied terrain and weather conditions with no blisters. So I'd be very well off with just those. However, there is fun in refining our setup and I certainly felt far from nimble or precise with the Tibets. Like most things it's tough to find something that fits all needs. For example, even though the vast majority of my hunting days are in 85-105 degrees, I also saw a week with highs below freezing and a brisk morning of -16.

Ideally I'd like to hunt enough in the Rockies to justify an insulated boot for those conditions, then a lighter boot for the rest.

Block

WKR
Add Hanwag Makra to your list. You will Iike em..

Crispi Thor uses a “not so durable” sole to lighten up the boot,,, I wore the bottom more than 1/2 way off a pair in 2 weeks..Iv owned 3 pairs of Crispi boots they feel super comfortable for short distances,,, then anything over 10 miles and they really seem to hurt my heel... haven’t had that issue with any other boot...the Lathrop Footbeds helped a bit but I can’t vote for the Crispis