Hot Tent

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
So, tent man ratings push the limits of reality and that adding a stove in really breaks the number. That being said... I was looking at Seek Outside tents and their 6 man Tipi is rated for 3 people and a stove. Is that 3 people comfortably or 3 people max. And then the same for their 8 man, that is rated for 4 people and a stove. Can we comfortably get 4 guys and a stove or will we hate our lives from being too cramped? I've been looking at reviews, pictures, and measurements of the Redcliff and it seems as if 4 people and a stove could fit but the website shows it for 3 people and a stove only...

So, Redcliff or 6/8 man tipi? are there other options that are worth it? I dont mind spending good money on a tent but I also dont mind saving money if there are other good options out there.

Northpark

WKR
I don’t have experience with the ones you mentioned. I do have a cimmaron lite with a stove and it’s comfortable for 2 and a stove and gear. I think the cimmaron is rated for up to 4 without the stove in it and it will in fact fit a family of 4 if necessary. So I suspect that it’s probably safe to look at the person rating and divide it by two and that’s where you’ll be comfortable with a stove in it. Could be wrong though.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have experience with the ones you mentioned. I do have a cimmaron lite with a stove and it’s comfortable for 2 and a stove and gear. I think the cimmaron is rated for up to 4 without the stove in it and it will in fact fit a family of 4 if necessary. So I suspect that it’s probably safe to look at the person rating and divide it by two and that’s where you’ll be comfortable with a stove in it. Could be wrong though.
Thanks for the feed back. I've heard some people say that condensation is a real problem with TP style tents. Any experience one way or the other with that?

I would agree with this. However, the gigantic tents (12-person) probably only hold a person or two more than the 6-person tents with a stove in them. You just lose a ton of useable space close to the walls of those tipi style tents, and while you could technically fit a person in there, there's not many folks I know that would want that spot.

Northpark

WKR
Thanks for the feed back. I've heard some people say that condensation is a real problem with TP style tents. Any experience one way or the other with that?
Yes . Any single wall tent is going to have condensation issues. The stove does help with that but only if it’s burning which is really only in the evening and again in the morning. The worst condensation I’ve experienced in mine was during a summer thunderstorm with my family of 4 in it. It rained all night. Like 3 inches of rain. We stayed dry enough to sleep but the bag’s definitely had to get dried out the next morning. All the moisture on our bags was from the condensation raining down from the ceiling when the 40mph gusts would hit the tent and shake the moisture loose.

sneaky

"DADDY"
2 SJK Outpost 4 tipis , and have a stove jack sewn in each. 2 men in each one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Basically the stove counts as a person and then keep in mind how ever many people they rate a tent for it sleeps half that comfortably.

*zap*

WKR
4 man is perfect for me, dog, gear & stove/wood. In the 6 man we have extra room...and the stand up area is much better. Height to stand up in is important...with multiple people using it I would say that a 8 man would cover a lot of bases. 2-3 people, stove/wood, gear and adequate stand up area.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
On a recent (fall 2022) trip to central Saskatchewan duck hunting, (truck camp) we had 3 guys on full size cots, one of which was an over sized Cabelas Outfitter cot, some gear, big buddy heater, hose, 20 lb propane cylinder and 2 80 lb labs on their own beds in a 12 man SO tipi. It worked, mainly because we hunted sun up to sun down and sat around and ate meals outside.

Some time ago I weighed the complete tipi set up (canopy with lines, stove, pipe, pegs , and pole. IIRC it came in just shy of 15 lbs. split between 3 guys shouldn’t be a problem.
I wouldn’t go any smaller for 3 guys, some gear and stove.
Same 3 guys and tipi are going to AK this fall to hunt caribou. Dogs stay home this trip. 😀

adoyle

FNG
highly recommend the 8 man and sxl or higher stove. 4 dude with gear comfortable with a pile of wood and stove. Condensation isn’t anything that can’t be dealt with as there is ample room to stay away from the tent walls. Pitch location and running the stove helps too.

Attachments

• DC60E5BD-64C9-45BE-BF2C-EC9FB25EB89B.jpeg
    DC60E5BD-64C9-45BE-BF2C-EC9FB25EB89B.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 14

SonnyDay

WKR
I have the SO 6-man with stove. Pretty luxurious with 3... and could definitely handle 4.

If you have cots, however, that's a whole other story. You could probably still get 3 people in there but it would be tight.

The condensation struggle is real. Get the liners.