Hound Hunters-Young Bears vs Old Bears

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
No issue here with any of the above in the title. But curious on y’all’s observations and opinions. We hunted this week in our hunting area we go to each spring north of Missoula. I noticed more bear hunters and hound hunters than ever before.. seems to be gaining popularity. My first observation was in the area we noticed more hound hunters we also noticed alot smaller bears being glassed up. Once we got to areas that were way off the road or in zones where no hounds it seemed that larger bears were observed. It sounds pretty simple but do you think it’s the same concept of deer hunting? More pressure less quality of animal being seen, you think larger bears still hang in these areas?

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
No issue here with any of the above in the title. But curious on y’all’s observations and opinions. We hunted this week in our hunting area we go to each spring north of Missoula. I noticed more bear hunters and hound hunters than ever before.. seems to be gaining popularity. My first observation was in the area we noticed more hound hunters we also noticed alot smaller bears being glassed up. Once we got to areas that were way off the road or in zones where no hounds it seemed that larger bears were observed. It sounds pretty simple but do you think it’s the same concept of deer hunting? More pressure less quality of animal being seen, you think larger bears still hang in these areas?
Obviously the other hunters are going to shoot the biggest bears they can. This assumes they aren't just catching and releasing the bears. Its also possible the big bears moved out so they don't have to be harassed by the dogs. Younger bears might not have learned the lesson.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I run hounds here in Montana, most guys are using their dogs to rig from the truck. Majority will just drive the roads all day until they get a strike. Makes for a long day hiking in a couple miles then the dogs go chasing

kickemall

WKR
Older bears know where to look for the best feed right when they come out. Young bears wander more trying to find it.
More hound hunters because other states are limiting hounds so bad. I know quite a few from Wa. that head over there if they know someone in Montana.

Scottf270

WKR
If it's accessable by vehicle, you are going to have more hunters and pressure of all types. Even the granola munchers hiking around move and change animal habits.
My experience is most hound hunters love the chase more than the kill. Putting a bear up a tree allows them to be selective in what they kill. So in theory, they may take bigger bears.
Harvest may be an issue for you, but overall pressure may be more to blame for the "big ones" not being near accessable areas.