Hound hunters

Just wondering how many guys hunt dogs out there thought it be cool to BS with you it would also be cool to have a spot on the site for us

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering how many guys hunt dogs out there thought it be cool to BS with you it would also be cool to have a spot on the site for us

My dad ran a guide service for years. Grew up running hounds! I sure miss it. As you know it is like a full time job if you want to have good dogs. I always figured I would pick it back up and that was the plan. Now California outlawed them, that dream is shot.

OP
I
Ya it is a lot of work but worth it that sucks the outlawed it in CA I got some friends that hunted down there they had nothing but good to say about it wish I could the change to

bg33bow

FNG
Dont know if this counts but I run and train beagles for rabbit hunting. I also train hounds to blood trail and track wounded Big game.

kickemall

WKR
I've had hounds almost all my life. I run bear, cat and grey fox. Use crossbred dogs mostly with a little running dog in them. Its getting tough to be a houndsman in California.

Dave

Last edited:

bg33bow

FNG
Just got done running 2 beagle pups they did great. This is part of my off season work out i love to run through the woods and watch the dogs.This gets me ready for this elk season. I will be making a blood trail later to train my blood tracking dog. Getting ready for fall. Love it!

jmez

WKR
My brother and I run hounds, have for years and both love it. We just hunt coon and bobcat. Idiots in the SD Game and Fish won't allow lion hunting with hounds. They do not want to deal with the landowner complaints with hounds on private land, yes I'm serious, that is their reason. Just dumb.

KMD

Banned
I got a little red mt. cur that will run & tree anything with fur on it, or just catch it before it can climb! Decoys coyotes, too...

Landrover

FNG
Not much better in world than hunting behind a hound! We grew up in deep south Louisiana with Walker Hounds for deer and beagles for rabbits!!! Living in Texas not much of that....................but I did get me a AWESOME beagle pup last year just for the yard. GREATEST dogs period........they will do it all if trained. Great thread and my first post on this site!!!!!!!! LOL!!!:D

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Have a black mouth cur and a mountain View cur. They make great pets and antler finders!

I hunt hound have for about 8 years it consumes 80% of my time but I do always make it out west or alaska hunting every year without the hounds but when I'm home pin Wisconsin I'm running something bears, cats, or coyotes. Our training season opens in July so we can run hounds between them 3 critters from July 1st until the snow is gone and this year we killed our last coyote in the snow may 2nd!!!!! I love lion hunting but only been out about 5 times treed cats 3 but the other 2 weather sucked would like to find a better spot to lion hunt. Maybe this year I have 4 points for montana sending for area 100.

Thanks
Aaron