How anal are you about case length?

thejones

WKR
I am reloading some 308 Win and I have some case lengths that are 2.011 to 2.013. Max case length is 2.015 so I am in "spec". My question is, should I trim them all to the same length? Or, will .002 make any difference?
I am not a match guy, I shoot out to 400 and am loading for hunting loads only.

brn2hnt

WKR
I never have, same applications as you, just longer shooting for fun.

I haven’t read a great reason why it makes a difference accept for a few extra thousandths of material holding the bullet, and uncles you have a bushing die on the neck and measure runout there’s waaaaay bigger things to address before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
For your purposes I would say that much variation will not make a noticeable difference. People will tell you trim them all to be uniform no matter what, I don't think that will hurt by any means, but shooting for hunting groups to 400 you will be fine.

Also, I am not an expert reloader

wapitibob

WKR
You're probably a long way from the end of the chamber so it comes down to uniformity. .002 is nothing and your chamfers aren't that close anyway.

Presuming the brass is all the same lot and headstamp. I'd trim them all to the same length for uniformity. It's never a bad thing to eliminate a non consistency in reloading/handloading, especially if you can and are able to control it.

I am also just putting together hunting loads. I set my calipers at the over all max length and check each case. If too long I trim it down. If it is shorter than the max over all length I leave it be. Never had an issue.

rayporter

WKR
for a hunting rig .002 will be lost in the noise of so many other factors that affect accuracy.

now a full blown competetion rig is another story. i can point you to a hall of fame shooter named Jack Neary, who done a blind test with ammo handed to him so he did not know the lenghts and he found that it made a difference.

OP
T

thejones

WKR
Thank you for the replies. I figured it would not be a huge deal for my needs. I was wondering because the brass I measured is all from the same lot, once fired, but two of the cases measured 5.023. Those obviously need to be trimmed to spec. But it got me wondering if those two started out long for spec and what effect it had on my minute of barn accuracy.

I usually trim all my cases before they need it. Helps with uniformity. For hunting loads out to 400 yards I doubt it matters. Where it will matter is you’re already on the upper end of the length. If you have a tight chamber and one of those is too long, it won’t go. I had a savage and it was like that. I was amazed that case length was so tight on the chamber and also seating depth was tight.

I’ve been handloading for my rifles for 20 years and have never trimmed a case, and I still punch itty bitty groups on paper and kill every animal I shoot at.

Zappaman

WKR
I am also just putting together hunting loads. I set my calipers at the over all max length and check each case. If too long I trim it down. If it is shorter than the max over all length I leave it be. Never had an issue.

This is my method as well… I typically don’t even bother to set up the trimmer’s aol… just drop the over length case in, a few easy turns and re-check again. It’s a 10 second process and I have it down by “feel” these days. That said, if more than a few need a “turn or two” after the first few, or I’m working with once shot brass from somewhere else than my gun… best to set it all up right and run through the lot. And while I’m at it, look through any other matching brass I have around (and I usually do) and knock it out too.

I am reloading some 308 Win and I have some case lengths that are 2.011 to 2.013. Max case length is 2.015 so I am in "spec". My question is, should I trim them all to the same length? Or, will .002 make any difference?
I am not a match guy, I shoot out to 400 and am loading for hunting loads only.
No worries. Just shoot 'em and trim 'em every 5-6 firings.

I'm not anal at all about case length and I get 1/2-3/4 MOA groups all the time from my rifles.

Zappaman

WKR
A lot of great hunting guns handle “long” (stretched) brass fine.

There are two kinds of serious, but different reloaders I’ve known and learned from over a long time. There are the 5000+ round a year guys; then there are still super “tweakers” who work more project-to-project. We’ll spend WEEKS,MONTHS working up a load then when we get it… we mass produce it and we worship it.

I have some cartridges I’ll never load more than three times. 7mm RM is one that is mainly for very limited (elk) hunting. In 40 year’s I’ve shot it 200 times. Ran the brass maybe 2 times and tossed (lost) most of it hunting. But the same exact H4831 load in R-P brass (since time began) makes for 100% SUPER reliability where you know EVERY drop point out to 600 yards… it’s taped to the stock in case you had too much “aiming oil” the night before the hunt😁

A lot of very good reloaders don’t shoot competition. They (like myself) find 3-4 calibers they like, load up 50 or 100 rounds and call it good (*for each gun). So 3-4 guns keeps us “whole” for like 15 - 20 YEARS! I have several guns I still have to build… but I sometimes can’t get to them with the “sweetheart” guns I already have!!! Hunting seasons often sneaks upon us… ya! (we knew it was around the corner then… what?
-THIS Saturday???).

OK, maybe this is just my world and so to end it on topic… if you don’t reload more than 3-4 times, most brass can’t get too long for the average hunting rifle to have a problem and the longer necks don’t hurt accuracy until you hit the limit (and that’s where the 5000+ a year guys can chime in)✌️

I like to keep brass wel under the max length so there is no danger of it hitting the end of the chamber neck. For max of 2.015, I trim to 2.005 and watch it for creep.

bradb

WKR
Since I bought my giraud trimmer I trim almost every reload as its so dang fast and easy. Before that it was much less often