How bad of an idea is it..

So my gf and I live in FL and we want to hunt our first elk this year, problem is that she decided to go back to school again and the only time she has off will be after Dec 1. I saw that WY has antlerless elk tags that last until 12/15 in unit 53 which looks to be between Yellowstone and Cody. The question is, how bad of an idea is it for 2 Floridians to do a late season elk hunt with no hunting experience in NW WY? We've both camped before and I trust that we won't push beyond our limits, but the lack of familiarity with that climate has given me concerns. Any advice would be appreciated and any alternative ideas are welcome as well. Thanks

It depends if you've been to the Rockies before. December weather could be pretty great or pretty miserable, you'd want to plan for miserable. You'll need a whole lot of different gear than you use in FL. If you are fairly outdoor savvy I'd say you probably won't die, but it might not be too much fun. You might consider just a camping trip this year and if you like it go for a hunting trip next year.

It a lot of work for a cow . Maybe mule deer or whitetail in another state . Just my opinion . Plus the weather can get real bad that time of year .

My initial reaction while reading the title was to be like, "oh that's a bad idea."

I stand by that sentiment if you folks don't spend a bunch of time in the cold skiing or snowboarding each winter. I think there are better first western hunting experiences.

Sounds awesome! I don't value a cow elk any less than a bull, and there are typically a bunch more of them running around. If you can plan for cold, snow, and wind, lots of wind, why not give it a go?

I wouldn't mortgage the house to do it, but if you can afford to go, the worst thing that will happen is you die. If that doesn't happen, you are guaranteed to learn something for the next time. December cows are usually herded up, and often times find their way to farmers' fields. You might reach out to the game warden in the area and ask about late season chances on public land. Also, PM inbound.

Thanks for the replies so far. There are certainly other ways I'd rather have my first elk hunt, but those may not be feasible for another 2 years. I figure the sooner I start, the sooner I'll get better at it.

It's way easier to break up with your GF now than to take her on a December Elk hunt in Wyoming. Both will likely end with the same result.:D

Seriously though I would stay in a motel if logistically possible, avoiding the certain below freezing night temps in a camper or wall tent. I have been on 5 late season (December) cow elk hunts in NW Colorado and in all years but one it required a snowmobile to retrieve the Elk. That was on a family friend's private land. I wouldn't do it if you don't come up with some good beta on where to go due to the fact that most winter range in the West is private. If you feel good about your research and plan well then you should definitely go.

Sounds like one of those "hold my beer while I …….." crazy stories.

Not being familiar with the area or the weather conditions is not a good place to be starting from. From my experience, if it is a snowy December, the elk will be bunched up and usually on private ground. Access will be/is an issue and with a limited amount of time it isn't always the easiest thing to do to gain access. Getting an elk from point A to point B if you happen to take one is another huge undertaking especially if you haven't broken an animal of that size down before and doing it in a snowbank with a strong, biting cold, Wyoming wind is something that you can't even imagine.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but Mother Nature isn't a very good friend once winter comes to the Rockies. IF you decide to try this, I would highly recommend staying in a motel.

Here is a short clip of my December Wyoming cow hunt in 2016.

It was 10 degrees and 30mph winds and I shot a cow at 560yds

Good luck if you decide to go

So my gf and I live in FL and we want to hunt our first elk this year, problem is that she decided to go back to school again and the only time she has off will be after Dec 1. I saw that WY has antlerless elk tags that last until 12/15 in unit 53 which looks to be between Yellowstone and Cody. The question is, how bad of an idea is it for 2 Floridians to do a late season elk hunt with no hunting experience in NW WY? We've both camped before and I trust that we won't push beyond our limits, but the lack of familiarity with that climate has given me concerns. Any advice would be appreciated and any alternative ideas are welcome as well. Thanks

Have either of you been in the Rockies in mid December?
If this is something that you are set on doing, I would recommend doing some type of private / guided hunt. It may not be too costly since it is a cow hunt.
You could have waist deep snow that time of year in NW WY.
Good Luck

I wish I would have went when I was in college. Always said I was but never did because I didn't want to miss class. If I could do it again, I would skip a week of class and go during a good time.

So my advice is talk your girlfriend into skipping class and going earlier. Horrible advice coming from a teacher lol! But that's what I would do in your situation.

Go in with zero expectation of harvesting an elk and just enjoy the adventure. It’ll be something you both remember for the rest of your lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a short clip of my December Wyoming cow hunt in 2016.

It was 10 degrees and 30mph winds and I shot a cow at 560yds

Good luck if you decide to go

You really have to want venison bad to be out in conditions like that. Have done it, but it definitely isn't for everyone. Being out in extreme cold, or fairly cold, with 30+ mph winds is rough if you aren't used to it. I'm not sure it is easy to acclimate to either. You have to know yourself and your hunting partner. Lots of warnings here, just hate to see someone spend hard earned dollars on a hunt that is hard for them to enjoy or succeed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Some shots from last December on a cow elk hunt

Attachments

• FEA77BC7-2CEA-4F00-AEA8-4DF3DAA635E2.jpeg
    FEA77BC7-2CEA-4F00-AEA8-4DF3DAA635E2.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 21E9DBDA-DF9C-4473-AA2F-C1C1C32FBCBE.jpeg
    21E9DBDA-DF9C-4473-AA2F-C1C1C32FBCBE.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 78E75715-5E56-43A4-A245-45938A32A67A.jpeg
    78E75715-5E56-43A4-A245-45938A32A67A.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 47
I advise checking some alternate states that have landowner programs that allow you to draw a tag, thus having the right to hunt a private ranch without a trespass fee, and motel it. You still have the option of a landowner tag through a landowner and several states DFW have listings. Such cow tags generally sell for a reasonable price, and some landowners are willing to accomodate you. Considering the gear necessary for such a late season hunt, and the cost of driving, it may be cheaper to go the route of flying in renting a 4x4 and getting a motel. I highly recommend getting a pack sled one there (generally at any supply store) if there is or you are expecting any snow. It will make the pack out so much easier, even if it is a short one.

Back