How bad will it be?

OP
P
eliminate the GPS. use your phone w/GAIA or OnX for gps mapping. by doing so your eliminating the weight and the additional charging need. brings up another point, I don't see solar for charging phone and/rescue/transporter communication device (also not seen).
GPS is also a back up Sat phone.

I’ve got 9.12 pounds in socks and base layers. 10.6 pounds in jackets!!!

This is going to be easy. Although there are still items not yet weighed.

OP
P
With some very conservative estimates at computer I’ve already got it down to 65. This shouldn’t be too tough.

AKDoc

WKR
There you go PH80, you got 'er done...for now at least!

I'm one of those guys who has everything staged-out in an empty room of our house so I can think and rethink "just a bit" over the course of a month or so before pack-up and go time in September....to be more honest, I pretty much obsess over it until I ship it off! Gets kind of crazy for my wonderful wife because I'm also doing the same thing each year for a 10-day remote fly-fishing float in late August!

Last edited:
OP
P

I'm one of those guys who has everything staged-out in an empty room of our house so I can think and rethink just a bit over the course of a month or so before pack-up and go time in September. Gets kind of crazy for my wonderful wife because I'm also doing the same thing each year for a 10-day remote fly-fishing float in late August!

Still have some work to do as several items not yet purchased / sourced / weighed.

Down to 56.1 at the moment, though. I added up All of the “only one per camp” items and split that in half because I don’t necessarily need to be the one taking all of those items. That saved me 7.66 pounds.

VernAK

WKR
I've started my pile and add to it every time I think of something but my partner keeps adding to our "needs".
I was hoping to survive on two gear loads but it's looking like three.

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
I see two pairs of boots. You have earned one demerit.

Two backpacks? You have earned two additional demerits.

I've never been on a similar hunt, so don't know squat. My demerits are meaningless.
And 37 demerits for orange crocs. 🤣

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
Just busting on you. I where crocs all summer just never seen orange ones.

Mt Al

WKR
Brand x crocs. Lighter and cheaper. Figured around camp they might be kind of nice. And figured orange might be nice in middle of night with low headlamp.

Everyone I know who buys them, loves them. I need to get on board! My buddy wears them around his camper, even when not 'backpack' hunting and swears by them, says his feet feel better, his boots dry out more. Zero downside.

Still learning from this thread, thanks for posting the pics and lists. Much appreciated.

AKDoc

WKR
To give you a hopefully helpful visual...below is a photo of what I packed two-years ago for a 14-day lake drop hunt in a Beaver on floats. Last year was slightly higher ground on wheels in a Maule, so I packed lighter and differently...going on wheels again this year.

We bring all of our own stuff, including food...the denoted blue bag is everything food related and just my food for 16-days (Mountain Houses, Peak-2's, and MRE's...it does add up!!). The black bag to the right is an inflatable-raft (PR-49HD...15-lbs)...and it gets used more years than not on my lake-drop hunts.

There are sometimes greater logistical options for us in-state. For example, I ship everything you see directly to the transporter in Bethel 10-days in advance with an in-state air freight company (Evert's Air Cargo). I then bring my rifle, back-pack, binoc's, and electronics with me on the AK Air flight out when I go. All total, I'm closer to 75-lbs (minus the raft, rifle, ammo, and me in my chest waders). I also pack the majority of the necessary camp gear, so my hunting partner has much less weight....I could reluctantly skinny down more if/when required.

InkedIMG_3669_LI.2.jpg

...BTW, no Croc's for me in the wet tundra area where I hunt.

Mt Al

WKR
To give you a hopefully helpful visual...below is a photo of what I packed two-years ago for a 14-day lake drop hunt in a Beaver on floats. Last year was slightly higher ground on wheels in a Maule, so I packed lighter and differently...going on wheels again this year.

We bring all of our own stuff, including food...the denoted blue bag is everything food related and just my food for 16-days (Mountain Houses, Peak-2's, and MRE's...it does add up!!). The black bag to the right is an inflatable-raft (PR-49HD...15-lbs)...and it gets used more years than not on my lake-drop hunts.

More learnin'! Thanks AKDoc and it's amazing how much raft you get for 15 pounds with that PR-49HD, 20 pounds wouldn't surprise me.

OP
P
Still messing around with footwear combinations. I really think I could get away with just the wading boots, but the hunting boots be nice to have as well as it’s entirely possible we spend most time high and dry. As a first timer it’s hard to leave the kitchen sink at home!

Also have waders that will be going.

C9A96590-B20A-4BBE-BBB9-BA8AF6423F65.jpeg

Also I’m sure you have some gorilla tape in that pack … I had considered the scenario where the wading boots blew a sole etc and decided that’ s the reason for taking so much damn tape anyway (ready for anything)

OP
P
if you’re only hiking a couple miles a day you can live out of your waders pretty comfortably. But if you can afford the weight it’s nice to have the option. When I would use 4-wheelers to hunt south of Denali, hip boots were the best for all the mud. In higher elevations with rock and alpine tundra, it’s better to have hiking boots with ankle support, paired with gaiters and possibly kahtoolas. For the area I flew-into, it was mixed terrain so I packed lighter weight Salomon’s and flew in with my waders on to save pack weight. It was nice to have both until an unfortunate but necessary river crossing, and then I lived out of the waders and was comfortable the rest of the time. I did however dry out the hiking boots and they were much more useful than the waders for packing out heavy quarters.
I’m trying to have it both ways. Plan is to fly in wearing waders and wading boots. Then Im pack have hunting boots and “waterproof/ breathable” pants for dry days / dry environment. With the seal skinZ and chotas I could hunt the same way and have knee deep or even hip deep water protection with wading boots and pants with waders at camp. Would save me 4 pounds on those danners. BUT, the chotas are TIGHT in the wading boots and a real pair of boots dons
Sounds nice.

mooster

WKR

I'm one of those guys who has everything staged-out in an empty room of our house so I can think and rethink "just a bit" over the course of a month or so before pack-up and go time in September....to be more honest, I pretty much obsess over it until I ship it off! Gets kind of crazy for my wonderful wife because I'm also doing the same thing each year for a 10-day remote fly-fishing float in late August!
the month before the hunt, I use one side of the garage w/a table. I sort, weigh, reweigh, and basically spend a little time each day after work on trying to talk myself out of various articles. I keep a spreadsheet and constantly update it. I still take too much crap, and try to take notes during the hunt about what worked and didn't. I think the planning and dreaming, anticipation building up to hunt is half the fun.