How did you decide on your scope?

cfdjay

WKR
I'm pretty new to rifle hunting. I've had some basic setups over the years but I'm 95% a bow guy. I recently got into the rabbit hole of rifles and rifle hunting due to increasing my opportunities to get out west. I ended up with a Browning Hell's Canyon in 6.8 western.

With all that being said, now I'm stuck with deciding on the glass. How did you decide on yours? What was important? So many options out there and so many reviews. Curious to hear your algorithm of decision. Thanks!

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
For me, the first thing I considered was what distance would be my maximum limit that I’d feel comfortable in taking a shot. That narrowed it down to a 3-15 magnification range. Next I looked at the reticle that I liked. From there I looked at my budget. How much was I willing to stretch my budget out to? Then, at that point I looked at the manufacturers.

In the end I settled on Leupold. I got the VX-5HD 3-15x44 for my 30-06.

For my lever action 45-70 I knew I wouldn’t be shooting longer than 200 yards with this gun, so I got a Leupold VH-3HD 1-5x20 Firedot.

wapitibob

WKR
I had a $1,000 Leupold that shifted poi, sent it back, it moved again while shooting at the range, sent it back and sold it. We were making parts for nightforce at the time, had a cpl ex leupold employees working for us and after some conversation bought an NXS. Used it for years, sold it to fund a rifle build, bought 2 swfa's, and am now replacing those with another NXS. I kind of looked at other models but I know what I'm getting with the NF. A friend used to work at NF and has a vx5 on one of his rifles and a vortex razor hd. It all boils down to your experiences or an opinion from someone you trust.

Based on your choice of the 6.8, I am guessing you want to be able to stretch your distance a bit. If that’s true, I would first determine the max magnification I would want for that distance. Next I would decide the lowest magnification I would want for the closest shots I might have. After that, I would decide if I want to dial or hold. From there, weight, reticle, price, pick what is more important. That would leave 4 or 5 good choices to pick from.

I went with a VX-5HD 3-15x42 for my 270 Win.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
These are the responses I was looking for. I get a great deal on NF but even a great deal is still $$$. So I'm truly torn. I've been a Vortex loyalist for my other glass (binos and spotter) and a Leupold guy for my scopes on other rifles. It's been so long since I've bought a scope I just don't know what I don't know. I'm assuming like anything else it ultimately comes down to personal preference and experience.

I will say I would rather dial than hold

A scope is an aiming device and should function as such. If it won't, it does me no good. I want a scope that will hold zero, return to zero, and track appropriately. I also want my scope to be reasonably durable so that a slip/fall doesn't ruin my hunt due to scope failure. I no longer care about "glass quality" (I used to and that bit me with a scope failure on a deer). I also don't wory much about weight. Uber lightweight scopes will not tolerate light impacts well and will have a higher failure rate. For me, I look to Nightforce amd SWFA scopes depending on budget/application. Trijicons and a few others have decent tract records too, but when you really get into it there aren't that many scopes out there with a high reliability rate. Reliability should be the number 1 deciding factor, but for many it isn't it seems.

I like being able to dial but I would rather avoid it if I can.

If I were going to dial a lot, I would take a hard look at the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 or the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
This is what I'm leaning towards. Thoughts?

NX8 - 4-32x50mm F1 - ZeroStop™ - .250 MOA - DigIllum - PTL - MOAR™​

cmahoney

WKR
These are the responses I was looking for. I get a great deal on NF but even a great deal is still $$$. So I'm truly torn. I've been a Vortex loyalist for my other glass (binos and spotter) and a Leupold guy for my scopes on other rifles. It's been so long since I've bought a scope I just don't know what I don't know. I'm assuming like anything else it ultimately comes down to personal preference and experience.

I will say I would rather dial than hold

Out of those three brands you mentioned, there is only 1 choice in my opinion, if you plan on using your elevation turret. You just need to do a little research on tracking issues.

the money spent on an NF scope that will last a life time isn’t that much in the big picture. Think of the value after the years spending money on apps, taken the time off work and drove miles to hunt. Having a scope you can rely on is worth every penny and an extra $1000 isn’t sh**.

Banging your head at the range isn’t fun either when your shots are all over the place and you are trying to trouble shoot the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through this….. ton of research and spec reading. I was trying to marry an optic for a lightweight hunting rig. I would say the best info I can share is from a YouTube channel by a fella using handle Dark Lord of Optics or DLO. He is highly regarded on other sites and knows his stuff. He also breaks down price point optics and separates hunting from range optics.

Wrench

WKR
Nobody complains about nightforce functionality. They work well. They're heavy and glass could be better at the price point.

I choose my scopes based on my experience with breaking them....and I or my friends and clients have broke almost everything.

My personal fleet has meopta/zeiss conquest, swfa and bushnell 4200 and up series scopes. I have yet to bust one of these and have stood the test of time for me.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
32x is a lot, how far are you looking to shoot?

I like the 8x option. As said earlier I think with the 4-32 range I can "grow" into it while getting comfortable with taking long range shots.

cmahoney

WKR
I like the 8x option. As said earlier I think with the 4-32 range I can "grow" into it while getting comfortable with taking long range shots.

32x for me would a rifle that I was planning on shooting a mile. 22x is more than enough on my rifle that I shoot 1000 yards regularly. I shoot the same 20” gong with a 10x SHV too.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
32x for me would a rifle that I was planning on shooting a mile. 22x is more than enough on my rifle that I shoot 1000 yards regularly. I shoot the same 20” gong with a 10x SHV too.

Do you see any cons with magnification like that and possibly never using it other than the $?

cmahoney

WKR
Do you see any cons with magnification like that and possibly never using it other than the $?

I have no experience with the NX8’s yet, however the 2.5-20 is at the top of my list for a 6.5 PRC I am slowly putting together which will be a 1000 yard plus rifle. I have read the eye box is more forgiving on the lower power NX8, which would be the advantage. Unless you have horrible eyes or plan on getting into ELR I think the magnification over 20x is pointless.

For reference I have a 5.5-22 on my 300 RUM, which is my heavy LR rifle and it’s more than enough.

I’ll see if I can find what I read about the eye box issues.

Just my opinion though

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
I have no experience with the NX8’s yet, however the 2.5-20 is at the top of my list for a 6.5 PRC I am slowly putting together which will be a 1000 yard plus rifle. I have read the eye box is more forgiving on the lower power NX8, which would be the advantage. Unless you have horrible eyes or plan on getting into ELR I think the magnification over 20x is pointless.

For reference I have a 5.5-22 on my 300 RUM, which is my heavy LR rifle and it’s more than enough.

I’ll see if I can find what I read about the eye box issues.

Just my opinion though

I'm a sponge right now. I'll take any and all info. I appreciate it

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
You mentioned a discount for a night force, if this is because of military service other brands offer a similar discount. I got a military discount from Huskemaw. Consider getting a model with windage hashmarks on the reticle If you might shoot long range.

Just my 2 cents, I've never had anything above 20x. If indeed you are set on super high magnification, maybe try to spend some time shooting with a friend who has something similar already set up. See what you think and then decide if you want it that high.