How do I not screw this up?

jooleyen

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone, new WI deer hunter here. I’ve killed one deer so far...earlier this month a small doe with my longbow. I’m learning a lot mostly via trial and error. Ok here’s my question. We got 8” of snow last night and a windy day today- perfect conditions for sneaking around without being heard. I snuck within 20 yds of a bedded buck today in a grassy brushy area. I was following his fresh tracks in the snow and saw one of his beds.(which had a nasty splat of mushy scat in it - does that just mean he’s eating grass?) followed his tracks another 60 yards and I saw him laying down. I watched for about 30 min and he got up and stretched and saw me sitting on the ground almost right away. He stomped his foot for 15 min and then relaxed and slowly walked away broadside. It’s antlerless only here for the next few days, so I couldn’t shoot. He had only one antler and it was only 6” or so. Enough of the story- how do I kill him come Jan 2nd?
Thanks

wayoh22

WKR
Just like any other deer. Get into range by whatever means you are doing and fling an arrow.

OP
J

jooleyen

Lil-Rokslider
I just wonder if I should sneak in on the ground before first light or what. I don’t expect another windy day where I can sneak up on him and even if we got one he probably wouldn’t be in the same bed. I guess I just have trouble understanding when they are in their beds and when they aren’t. Trail cams are my next step as a hunter to understand deer movements.