How far away can you smell deer?

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
Walked into a new spot this evening. Didnt quite make it to where I wanted to hunt and was hit with the smell of a buck. I’m mean like I had my nose on his tarsal glands. Instead of climbing a tree with my saddle I just sat down at the nearest tree like I’d just heard a turkey gobble 50 yards away.
Even sitting down I still catch a whiff of him every couple minutes. I know there’s a couple of mature bucks in here and I’m already seeing lots of fresh rubs and scrapes.
Interestingly is windy today. 15-20 mph winds.

How far away have y’all smelled deer before?

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in my second whitetail season and smelled a bedding area (probably doe) before I walked up on it by accident. It was pretty neat to a newbie.

Rich M

WKR
Yes ive smelled em before. You have to remember that it may have been a fresh scrape or similar. You did right thing tho, he was there or had recently been there.

Reactions: WCB
OP
Brushcreekbill

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
Yes ive smelled em before. You have to remember that it may have been a fresh scrape or similar. You did right thing tho, he was there or had recently been there.
Ended up seeing a fork horn and a small 8 point chasing a doe.
Heard something get up and walk within earshot at dark but never could see it. But it was nearly downwind from me.

mkelemen

FNG
I was hunting with my dad years back on about a 3 acre hill, nearly opposite each other. We both smelled rutty buck at roughly the same time, but neither of us saw him. Right conditions, 50-75 yards or more. Only time I ever remember it happening, though.

Long Cut

WKR
If you can smell him, typically you’re within 50-100 yards has been my experience.

Had my first experience with that last night. Walking out of my spot in a swamp I got a huge wiff of a buck. Stood still for a min and just played it off in my head as a farm close by. Took another 10 steps and caught a pair of eyes looking at me 20 yards away. It was a really nice buck and I was down wind of him. I would say I was within 50-75 yards when I first smelt him.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I have gotten a whiff deer before in the brush, usually, but not always a buck. Not sure of the distance but I’m guessing the distance is 75 yards or less.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
If they piss in a scrape or something like that you can smell them the next day if the conditions are right. So however far a deer can cover in a night? Miles?