How heavy is your tripod?

my heavier tripod (Sirui T-024SK) is 32 oz with the ballhead, 44 oz with the VA-5 panhead

my ultralight tripod weighs just 8 oz- Granite Peak by Kramer Designs

I just ordered a AOKA carbon tripod that splits the difference at 17 oz :)
I’ve been using the AOKA for almost 2 years now. I really like it for the weight and honestly haven’t bothered to bring my bigger tripod in quite awhile.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using the AOKA for almost 2 years now. I really like it for the weight and honestly haven’t bothered to bring my bigger tripod in quite awhile.

That’s good to hear! One of the guys here told me his guide (Dall hunt) this year was using one (w/a Swaro ATS). I figured it would be worth experimenting :)

That’s good to hear! One of the guys here told me his guide (Dall hunt) this year was using one (w/a Swaro ATS). I figured it would be worth experimenting :)
Are you going to change out the head? Or stick with the ball head it comes with?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a decent SunwayFoto ballhead, figured I'd compare the two. I'm also getting close to pulling the trigger on a Spartan Davros ballhead either the regular or pro?

What head are you using?

I’m using the head it came with and have no complaints (both with a spotter and my binos). I’m also considering a Spartan Davros head as I’d like to move to their bipods and wanted to try shooting off this tripod just for kicks

Werty

WKR
Mine is 2 1/4 lbs (tripod only)
But serves as more than a spotting tripod.
- spotting Tripod
- has a pulley with rope to assist with skinning and quartering
- walking sticks
- tent frame (tent is still in RnD)
- shooting rest
What make and model?

atmat

WKR
I now have a Slik 634 with Wiser precision pan head. I’m under 2.5lbs.

Overdrive

WKR
What tripod is this?

What make and model?

Tripod isn't on the market yet, I can get you in contact with the owner or get one sent out if your interested, I have a couple on hand. This tripod has been in development for 10 years, I've been using one for the last 5 years, as my friend designed and patented the tripod. Production is getting set up, but I do know he has some on hand and ready. PM me if you'd like.

Rock-o

WKR
Sirui T-004S tripod with Sirui VA-5 Ultra-Compact head is 3.37 lbs (3 lbs 6 oz).

hnguy061

FNG
I use one sitting tripod for my binos and spotter. It's the blackovis treeline carbon sitting at 30oz with the pan head.

Quality of the pan head is not the best, so I will probably replace it next with a smoother operating one. But I do all of my glassing sitting so this small lightweight tripod is grwt for my needs.

RRS TFCT 33s. It’s about 4.5 lbs with a VA-5 head and makes my Kowa 883 worth bringing along anytime I am serious about counting moose tines or sheep rings. I do have a 553 and AOKA tripod setup but I’d still rather have the heavier setup if the hunt success depends on discerning as much detail as possible.

A super stiff tripod really takes a full-size spotter up a couple notches.

rideold

WKR
Dang that’s lightweight. The 5 legs don’t bother you?
I bought it mainly for use sitting. The 5 sections are easy to manage. I can loosen the twist locks all at once and pull the sections out in one motion. I took the center column extension out as well. I could probably take the smallest section of leg off too but haven't tried that yet.

fbhandler

WKR
I’m using the promaster xcm 528… right at 3lb with the Wiser Precision ph 170 pan head. Works good for my Kowa 774. Easily tall enough and as sturdy as I’ve found, to stand and glass, even better sitting. 16.5” packed up

colt1776

FNG
LS-254c on the left 40oz with spiked feet use for my mountain glassing tripod and LS-323c on the right 4.3lbs use for night hunting hogs Work’s perfect standing up and not to heavy to pack around.

Attachments

• 5A59C0F5-80BF-412A-936D-17AEF9BFEB54.jpeg
    5A59C0F5-80BF-412A-936D-17AEF9BFEB54.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 36