How high do western whitetails go?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I used to think that 5k was the line they stayed under, but like others that is no longer a good reference. Well, it's holding true more in Idaho than MT.

I’m a big proponent that Idaho needs to go to a zone type tag system(like we have for elk) for residents for mule deer, but because of everything mentioned in this thread leave the whitetail tags statewide in order to encourage more people to shoot whitetails and maybe stop their encroachment on mulie habitat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
Non Coues Whitetails live in New Mexico in the Lincoln, I have seen them almost to Almogordo.

In Idaho, Montana and Wyoming I have seen them everywhere in the state.

Dirtbag

WKR
I almost ran over a pretty nice WT buck at nearly 9k on Snowy Range rd outside Saratoga a few years back. I was surprised.

parshal

WKR
A few years back I saw a doe mule deer with a fawn with a whitetail tail (raised the tail as it was chasing after the spooked doe) near Burns, CO. That was around 8500 feet.

ATL

FNG
Saw a few Whitetail does in the Sacramento Mountains NM at 8000’-8500’ 10 years ago. Haven’t lived in the area for a while to know if they were still there.

Not so much that it was high altitude, but I was very surprised to see a good WT buck in the same area with MD and Antelope in SW NM.

Saw a few Whitetail does in the Sacramento Mountains NM at 8000’-8500’ 10 years ago. Haven’t lived in the area for a while to know if they were still there.

Not so much that it was high altitude, but I was very surprised to see a good WT buck in the same area with MD and Antelope in SW NM.
DB266C88-9742-4E62-AF8A-D3E7D9A9B9572019-06-29_19-58-27_216.jpeg

ATL

FNG
Canyonhunter47, that is the exact area I would see them in the Sacramento’s.

I find them above timberline here in MT all summer long and they seem to move down a thousand ft into the timber once it starts getting colder. I also find them spreading out through all of the mountain riparian zones and on any hillside with good ponderosa pine and shrub cover.