How hunting may have saved my life

My name is Cody, I am 28 years old and live in Utah. Married for 6 years with three little kids. I started bowhunting soon after I got married. This was my 6th season and I’ve been unsuccessful every year. This year was a little different. I drew a good limited entry elk tag here in Utah. I hunted 3 weekends and then 1 full week but was unable to seal the deal. One thing that really frustrated me was locating bugles. At 12 years old I started to notice I was losing hearing in my right ear. I got it checked out over the years but never got a clear answer how it happened. Fast forward to this year. I would hear a bugle and didn’t know if it came from the ridge in front of me or behind me, above me or below me. So after the hunt ended I wanted to fix the problem. I did some research on different hearing aids and even cochlear implants. I went to see an ENT doctor. He asked how I lost my hearing and I told him I had no idea. He then asked if I had ever received an MRI. I had not. He said just to be safe I should get one and he made me an appointment a week later. The result...
c964983584a0c09928adaf3c0039163e.jpg

A brain tumor the size of a baseball. Luckily it was not cancerous. This was the cause of my hearing loss and I had no other symptoms. The doctors were shocked. I had a 14 hour surgery 2 days later and they were able to successfully remove the tumor. However the tumor grew around my right facial nerve which was severed so now the right half of my face is paralyzed. Pretty amazing outcome considering all of the things that could have gone wrong. I feel extremely lucky and blessed to be alive. Recovery has been the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital and was released right before thanksgiving but I’ve had to go back to the ER 3 times now for a spinal fluid leak and infection. It’s been 5 weeks since the surgery. I am feeling a little better each day but definitely have a long road ahead of me. Please keep me in your prayers. The hunting community is as good as they come, so many good people. This experience has taught me how precious life is. If you’re reading this I hope you can show love to your friends and family and don’t take a moment for granted, especially hunting season!
9d1dcfcd387cf7aa4ee7071ffe8f231d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
You have a beautiful family brother. We know not what we will go through in this life. Cherish every moment with your family and friends and enjoy your passions. Above all give God the glory for it all. May you have a speedy recovery. Keep us updated with your progress if you want.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Praying for a speedy recovery! My 27 year old sister went through the same surgery due to a non cancerous tumor last year. She is doing great now and you will be soon as well!

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for sharing. Prayers fore you and your family. I commend you for your positive attitude. Now get better and get hunting. You gotta get them kids in the woods.

Glad you are recovering!
Good to hear you have a positive perspective on the situation. That should help you in the long run.

I hope you recover to your full potential soon.

Merry Christmas. Enjoy it with those kiddos!

Incredible story. Amazing outlook on this. Beautiful family for sure. You're an inspiration for anyone who reads this. What a perfect gift for the holidays. I hope your recovery is 100% successful and you enjoy a very long life. Hunt well!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck on the continued recovery Cody, you will be chasing bugling bulls before you know it👍

87TT

WKR
I gotta just say WOW!!! Good luck on your recovery. Great family. Kind of makes some of my problems (getting old) pale.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful family. Keep the faith, follow doctor's orders, enjoy the holidays and get well soon.