How important is a softshell

Lowg08

WKR
I have went away from a soft shell jacket. As I plan future hunts for this year. Im
Beginning to ponder adding one back. I would add the kuiu axis if I did. I have been focusing on cutting weight and packable insulation but I feel like the soft shell would benefit on those damper days. I’m just not sure. Maybe could for late season still hunting. How do you guys implement a soft shell in your clothing set up

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
They're not. My tops are a merino hoodie, windshield, 1 or 2 puffy (depending on temp), and a shell jacket. A softshell would weigh more than 2 or 3 of those combined
Just curious what windshield you use? I always assumed the hardshell served this purpose to block wind as well but have heard a few people saying they use one. Do these breath similar to a softshell?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
Just curious what windshield you use? I always assumed the hardshell served this purpose to block wind as well but have heard a few people saying they use one. Do these breath similar to a softshell?

Sorry, I meant wind shirt. It's a Rab Borealis jacket, weighs 9 or 10 oz, cuts wind great. It breathes awesome too

tdot

WKR
I've added a softshell back into the mix in the last few years. I found an ultralight climbers softshell by Patagucci, but I think there are some hunting alternatives. It's now my most versatile jacket. Essentially replaces a mid weight long sleeve top. No membrane, so it breathes exceptionally well. It has a hood and just enough wind stopping ability that it deals with a breeze. Hardshell goes overtop for wind or rain protection. Down goes underneath for warmth and is then protected by the Softshell.

I've found uses for it from sheep hunts above alpine, elk hunts in the timber and even ski ascents in the middle of winter. I feel it's what softshells were originally meant to be. But too many features and weight have been added to softshells and IMO have made most of them very limited.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve always thought adding a Patagonia level 4 wind shirt would be a good addition. Also the new first lite ridge line may work. I am already using a ultralight merino top, Sitka heavyweight zip t, kenai ultra, jetstream vest, Brooks down sweater and a Sitka dew point rain shell. I’m pretty confident in my set up. I had a considered the kutana hybrid 3defwhatever

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve honestly thought using a kutana hybrid as like a windshirt type deal. Just interchange it with the heavyweight zip t. They are just so much heavy in my opinion. Especially when I add a bulkier down for late season cold

same question as I often talk of scraping my guide jacket on archery backpack elk hunts but end up taking it as a wind block as if I just took my super down and the rain jacket the rain jacket is just too loud to draw with but man would be nice to leave in the truck

If I am having to be weight conscious (think fly-in sheep hunt), then I just rely on an item that I am already bringing (ex: rain jacket). If using a rain jacket, you do need to be careful so as to not tear or snag it.

Otherwise I tend to bring a soft-shell. It is nice for blocking the wind and blocking some rain without having to be overly cautious of tearing or snagging it. It may stay in camp for a day but at least I will have one.

I never bought into the 4 layer no softshell system and feel there are a lot of conditions outside of early high country or dry hunts that a base, mid, puffy, rain jacket are lacking.

You get into real cold with wind and for me a softshell designed to block wind is a necessity because rain jackets don't breath enough to wear while moving, if it's truly cold and windy your base and mid won't cut it either.
The other situation a softshell really shines is on wet days but not solid rain, think wet snow or all day snow, rained early or overnight and things are wet. Don't want your base and mid getting wet and it's too quiet to use a rain jacket.
S Clancy's 5 layer system above is another option, I prefer having more options with mid layers and use a Peloton 240 as my main mid layer which does block most wind until it really blows hard.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It looks like all this has been covered, but I will put my own spin on it.

A soft shell is a luxury item, both on a hunt and in terms of ownership cost. Base lay, fleece, puffy, hard-shell will cover any conditions. A wind jacket is far lighter than a soft shell, packs really small, and works as sun protection on hot days. Wind jackets also breath better than soft shells.

Hard-shell construction also makes a difference, the OR Furio jacket I use has well designed ventilation, I have yet to find a waterproof fabric that breaths adequately. Even when Gortex is new and the face fabric does not wet out it does not keep up with exertion (but is much better than rubber Guy Cotton).

I have used the Arc'teryx Squamish hoody for years. The wind jacket is not absolutely needed, but it is an addition that earns its place in my pack, and the initial hit to the wallet.

In all fairness, the Kuiu Peloton 240 that I use as my fleece is almost a soft shell and cuts the wind well (and the Squamish has seen less use as a result). However, it does not breath enough for covering ground if the temps are above 20 F. Once the Kuiu is worn out, it will be replaced with something more breathable and less wind resistant.

ChrisAU

WKR
I've tried to add one to my lineup a couple times because I like the idea, but even for "lazy" whitetail stand hunting I find them useless.

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
I'll just echo what most others have said......not needed. Merino layers, puffy, hard shell

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve thought the only time it might be useful is possibly still hunting in the snow or tracking in the snow.

I think softshells have their place. Jack of all trades and master of none. On long and light weigtht trips, mine will often not make the cut. I think you get more bang for your buck with other layers - pufffies, wind shirts, hard shells, etc. For shorter trips in mixed weather and mid temps I like them a lot. They handle a little wind, snow and rain fine. They stretch and more less breath. They weigh a lot compared to some options but they still have a roll for me.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’m thinking it may not be necessary but maybe just buy one to have around. I can think of a few times I might want one.