How long does it take to learn to make your own gear?

zacattack

WKR
So, I just found out that my city has a makers club. Where essentially you pay s membership fee and you get access to a crap ton of tools, including wood and metal lathes, table saws, 5 or 6 sewing machines and fabric working, forge, welding machines, drill presses etc etc. Membership is 35 a month for access to everything, there’s also lessons at a “discounted” rate. Really thinking about joining to learn to make my own gear and for projects around the house. So, question is how long would it take me to learn to make things like quilts, sleeping bags, stoves, tents etc?

WoodBow

WKR
That sounds super cool. Id say go for it regardless. But i guess if your only interest is in sewing projects then you might be better off, financially speaking, to just buy a machine and watch some youtube videos to learn the ropes. Sewing is very easy. I could teach someone the basics in 30 mins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
i’d be interested in all of it, just curious as to how feasible it would be for me to actually make something’s. So sounds like maybe not too long.

Stoves will take you about 2 months to learn how to make. Thats assuming you are only doing two runs at it. If you need a 3rd attempt It would probably take less than a months time for that to be produced.

Stove is one of the easiest IMO. You could make one in a day, less with decent tools. Tents aren’t too hard either, depending on what you want to make. That’s about the only things I’ve tried...but if you have the DIY itch notching better than just scratching it from time to time

aion2come

WKR
You can learn how the basics of sewing in about 1 hour. To make pullouts with the thread on this forum, it will take you about one more 1 hour. Along the way you will want to pull your hair out as you learn the finer art of sewing and the intricacies of your machine, but that is part of learning. I started sewing using the pullout thread hear on the DIY forum and was making my own packs within 3 months. Key is to get a decent machine.

Kind of a broad question. Sounds like an awesome opportunity, maybe take a class or 2 and watch some YouTube vids and give the sewing a shot. If your any good/ambitious probably buy your own machine but all the other access sounds awesome too. Who knows you might have been a seamster/blacksmith/welder/machinist/carpenter in a past life 🤷🏼‍♂️ You might pick it up quick

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
That's an awesome class/membership. If you have the time. Why not? If your somewhat tool and machine savvy or at least have some confidence and ambition already then you could possibly just skip the classes and give some things a try. I'm going to assume that if you hit a speed bump in your project or your not sure how to do what you want with a certain machine theres gonna be someone around that you could get pointers from. All of the equipment you mentioned would be nice to have access to and gain some experience with. If you can take some classes, even better! I say go for it man. You got nothing to lose.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk